Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
cram_it_frog
wombat

Default Is it really worth buying a new car.

Looking a number of forms both in two wheel and four wheel cars I see so many warranty issues ,

Is the workmanship gone down the toilet and making claims seems to be hit and miss and in some cases it might be easier to win lotto than make a successful warranty claim ,

And to top it off the depreciation values are unreal my own car was $43k new ten years ago and now under 10k .

few years ago you bought a car and you know that if something goes wrong there was a good chance it would be fixed under warranty now well you have to be lucky ,

So now they are making cars to a price and quality seems to have been left behind in many cases ,

So is it better to buy 2nd hand and save some of the money or buy new and loose a bucket of hard earned cash.

cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is it really worth buying a new car.

If you buy new and keep it for many years it's usually ok but if you flog it off after only a couple it will cost you heaps.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

of course it is......go buy brand new, look after it, treat it like a baby, have it serviced properly before due times and NEVER thrash it........that way I get a good car a few years down the track for next to nix!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Depends on your disposable income. If you can afford to buy something with no hardship, go for it.

Bad news always travels faster than good. Someone with a bad experience will tell 10 people, another with a good experience may only tell a few.

I've had 2 new cars, the first had a few issues but I've never regretted buying it. The second and current new car purchase has been outstanding, 7 months on and I can't pick a single thing to complain about.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars are not an investment, they are a depreciable asset. They require maintenance and still lose significant value. This is accelerated by obsolescence.
New cars are never "worth it" from a financial perspective, obviously owning a new car costs you more than an old car. The question is whether you want to pay for the enjoyment?
Some people look at cars like undies, the idea of driving something with previous owners is not appealing.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The new car smell wears off pretty quickly too.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If you can afford the depreciation then yes it very much is.

If you cannot afford the depreciation and whinge about it in 3 years time, then no it isn't. Nothing worse than those who complain about depreciation. Factor that when buying and it isn't a problem. Not like it should come as a surprise.

Buy what you can afford as there is nothing worse than driving something that you regret.

You can buy a brand new Focus for the same price as a 2 year old Beemer. It comes down to want you want out of a car.

Nothing beats the experience of selecting, ordering and receiving a new car.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What Poppa Smurf said we brought our car in 2007 got the extended warranty had a fair few problems but everything fixed under warranty. Will see how it goes now that it is out of warranty.
Still enjoy every time I drive it although a 2year old beamer would be nice
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Nova 8

Safety can also play a big part, sure you could spend a couple of grand on an old car with the potential of having been in crash, poorly looked after and doesn't have the safety features of new(er) cars. Its a matter of value for your money, how much are you willing to spend on the safety of your children?

Buying cars that are 3-5 years old always seems good bang for your buck to me, new gadgets and safety with that early depreciation done and ready for its steady decline from ~$25,000 to worthless over the next decade or so.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have always believed in buying an ex demonstration model if its the right car for your needs.....They're usually a few k cheaper than brand spanker.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post

It wasn't fun the third time after I totalled my Focus 4 weeks after buying it, lol.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de.../?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

can't see where safety or anything else would be compromised.......but I can see where money is saved.

one amongst many bargains........

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Nova 8

With safety I'm talking about the cars which are 10+ years old, hence saying "a couple grand".

That is a real bargain and I guess I'd have to adjust my statement from 3-5 to 1-5 years old.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Have had experience buying new and used.

Bought the Festiva new, looked after it properly, serviced it correctly, attended to maintenance items in a proactive manner. To me, this level of attention was certainly an 'investment' as it served me faultlessly for 10 years. The only money I spent on it was normal consumables - ie, looking after it saved me money.

After that, bought a few cheap 'run around' cars. They were not looked after all that well and it was obvious that they had been neglected and abused by previous owners who didn't really give a toss (to be expected).

I then bought a demo Focus. I thought I was clever, after all - it was 'near new' and I saved almost 10k off RRP. BIG MISTAKE. It was a basket case - poor (dealer) servicing, poor maintenance, poor upkeep. What did it go through in the past??? How was it treated??? Did the past owner care??? See all those ??? They are unknowns.

Sold that, decided to never again buy a used car unless it was for short term use and a bargain.

Bought the wife a new Mirage with the funds from selling her lemon Focus. Straight swap actually. It will be looked after, correctly maintained and certainly not thrashed. It is 9 months old now and is 'as new' (as it should be). I lost count of the times I needed to take the Focus to the dealer in 9 months. We both look fwd to what we hope will be many years of trouble free ownership - much the same as the Festiva.

If a person knows they will change over their car every 2-3 years some will see that as an opportunity to abuse it to death and then let the next owner deal with the emerging issues - running it on E10, parking it anywhere, leaving it out, starting it cold and hammering it etc etc etc - it becomes a disposable item.

I would much rather invest in the peace of mind of buying new to remove all those ??? OR buy something several years old that has been owned by the same person since new and has a proven track record of upkeep and proactive maintenance.

If you buy new and hold for several years, the depreciation hit will soon be dissolved by the lower overall ownership costs you should expect when you correctly look after a car for the long term.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
With safety I'm talking about the cars which are 10+ years old, hence saying "a couple grand".

That is a real bargain and I guess I'd have to adjust my statement from 3-5 to 1-5 years old.
I don't think I would buy anything greater than say 5 year old, looking to upgrade the BA shortly.........the FG looks very attractive but I'm also concerned about the dramatic drop in trade in price.

wife buys a new vehicle every two years..........I see no difference in buying new or a very good second hand vehicle.

the micra she traded was an exceptional little vehicle, whoever bought that got a terrific little car in top condition.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post

Couldnt agree more. Although both my last 2 new cars werent ordered as such they were brand new cars.

1st one was an XR5T Focus, 2nd a Focus ST
Im not worried about the money loss on them or what they may be worth later. I purchased because i wanted new, something that no one else has owned, something im the first to drive. Also it may sound like a stereo type but that new car smell.
I could waste my money on other things but why not waste use it on something i love.

Also warranty claims, ive had 2.
1 was a busted stereo in my XR5T. Another was a busted bonnet latch but that was my fault.

Last edited by DJM83; 12-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
I have always believed in buying an ex demonstration model if its the right car for your needs.....They're usually a few k cheaper than brand spanker.
Few kay wouldn't be enough IMO - I guess it depends on the RRP of the car but we all know how 'demo' cars are generally driven and cared for.

I looked at a demo Mirage at the dealership we got our new one from and in the 3 months it had been used it had been scraped, not washed, gutter rash, scuff marks everywhere, trim that had been impacted and snapped out of place etc etc etc. Turns out one of the workers used it as well so it was a demo / staff driven car. I would have sacked the worker after seeing the state it was in. Had 4,000km on it. Where was its 1500km going over stamp? Was it even done??

All for a HUGE $900 discount. Not a chance!

Old 12-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #18
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last time I had a warranty claim was (it was actually out of warranty but Ford came to the party) for my EL XR6 that had rusted out inner sills at just over 3 years old.

14 years and 7 or 8 cars later and not a single warranty claim, so who says workmanship has gone down the toilet.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #19
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I'm in business so new is fine, especially for depreciation. But if I were not in business I'd buy demo or up to a year old cars...........
Old 12-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #20
furiousgibbon

I let someone drive my car once. He owned exactly the same car, but unmodified. I didn't think there would be a problem. Within 30 seconds he had smoked the clutch so badly there was a trail of smoke left behind the car, and it stank of rotting flesh for 2 days.

Imagine if someone like that owned you car for 2 years. I buy my cars new.
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousgibbon View Post
I let someone drive my car once. He owned exactly the same car, but unmodified. I didn't think there would be a problem. Within 30 seconds he had smoked the clutch so badly there was a trail of smoke left behind the car, and it stank of rotting flesh for 2 days.

Imagine if someone like that owned you car for 2 years. I buy my cars new.
We have kept my wife's old Mirage as a run around car as it's pretty much worth nothing and has never let us down.

I lent it to my brother in law as he had an accident on his bike. No worries. Went over to visit one day and watched how he 'parked' it on the grass - drove off the street without slowing down for the driveway, scraped the bottom of the bumper and then ripped the hand brake to do a 180 on the front lawn.

Some people just don't give a toss. I have always had the idea that when you are using something that isn't yours you take better care of it than if it were yours as you need to answer to someone else if something happens to it...

2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I maintain my cars mechanically with servicing but I DGAF about paint/panel/interior. Got oil stains on driver side seat in Fiesta and on the door trims, diesel covered steering wheel on Focus from the servo diesel pump, tore up the rear bar from loading my toolbox in daily, lawn mower/muddy shovels in the back and I tore up the rear fabric on the back of the back seats.

As long as she gets me to and from where I want to be reliably then CBF about other niggly issues like paint/panel/interior.

That's my own cars though, if I borrowed someone's car I keep it clean. I can treat my car like *** because its mine, respect for other peoples property.

My uncle borrowed my mums Festiva and trashed the interior, so I had to pull it apart and steam clean seats, carpet and clean up entire interior.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #23
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post

wife buys a new vehicle every two years..........I see no difference in buying new or a very good second hand vehicle.

I've just started getting use to getting a new car every year or so using my brothers holden discount, makes buy new and selling once around a year old much easier on the pocket, much, much easier. I don't think I'll be able to warrant it once holden is gone so ill probably hang on to one in the last year, probably a HSV (the GTF almost tempted me)

Or, it means buying near new cars once again. When I sell my cars on they are in almost perfect condition (tyre wear, odd stone chip maybe) and a great bargain for the person buying them, hopefully I can find the same and then wouldn't mind about having a second hand car. After a good clean and polish who'll know?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #24
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the actual "experience" of purchase is identical.......same fake salesman, same fake smiles, same fake handshakes, same fake promises with the usual disappointment when something needs repair.

the smells are something I can't get used to in a new car, a mixture of plastic, chemicals and god only knows what with a hint of leather, always glad when they are gone........

nice to clamber under a new vehicle and not get covered in oil and grease though and I don't miss the grease nipples one bit.

not being able to get my mits in some places is a pain with later vehicles, and I still don't understand most of what is under the bonnet.

I've had a few new vehicles but I can't quantify the expense nowadays when so many very good pre loved vehicles are out there.

2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #25
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have the money sure but these days cars depreciate pretty fast.

you could lose anything from 25-50 percent within the first 5 years and it just gets more after that depending on k's and condition.

Get a nice limited edition falcoon for us would ya? :p
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #26
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I have always had the idea that when you are using something that isn't yours you take better care of it than if it were yours
Borrowed yes - rented no

Quote:
not being able to get my mits in some places is a pain with later vehicles
Drives me nuts - sick of stuff that requires the strength of an adult in the hands of a child
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #27
Nova 8

Quote:

not being able to get my mits in some places is a pain with later vehicles, and I still don't understand most of what is under the bonnet.
New engines are just printed from plastic aren't they? I pop my bonnet and all I see is cheap plastic covers that I'm not 'allowed' to touch. I assume its just witch craft that powers modern car and that the witches are just in a rush and use petrol to heat their cauldron instead of wood nowadays.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #28
Itsme
Experienced Member

If you can afford to buy a new car why not, pleasure of selecting your own personal choice of options etc & knowing no other boof head has driven it.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #29
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Borrowed yes - rented no
See, I'm the opposite lol. I have hired a variety of cars and use the opportunity to do my own little extended 'road test' (a few that have appeared on here lol).

Perhaps it also has something to do with the fact my mate manages an Avis and gets me real good 'mates rates'..

Old 12-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
New engines are just printed from plastic aren't they? I pop my bonnet and all I see is cheap plastic covers that I'm not 'allowed' to touch. I assume its just witch craft that powers modern car and that the witches are just in a rush and use petrol to heat their cauldron instead of wood nowadays.
With the way 3D printers are going this may not be far from the truth sooner than you think lol.