Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #31
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Former Holden boss Mike Devereux to kill Commodore name when local production ends in 2017

/hops back in the closet
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Former Holden boss Mike Devereux to kill Commodore name when local production ends in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Keep the name. It is going to be designed here, engineered at Lang Lang; at least keep some continuity from our history. Otherwise the lineup is ubrecognisable. Dowling is full of ****, why does Mike Deveraux have a say? He's not CEO anymore.
It won't be engineered here, because the whole engineering division is going bar a couple of suspension and steering guys to tune the cars for local roads. And even though the design studio is staying that doesn't mean they will design it here either, it could be getting done and any of the other GM design studio's.

It will be about as Australian as a Kia or a Hyundai that has had a minor suspension fiddle for our market.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #33
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Commodore

I'm talking about the brand names. Brand naming is a marketing game.

Not many local names that I can recall - Kingswood/Belmont, Kimberley/Tasman/P76, Territory. Perhaps others can recall more.
Holden historical information in AMC magazine definitely showed it as a Rekford as the intial design and Brock imported Rekford 2 doors to look at developing an early Monaro replacement.

Also, http://www.commodorefacts.com/VB/index.php, has the following information:

"The introduction of Holden’s first Commodore in 1978 was a result of the combination of German body design incorporated with an Australian engine and locally manufactured components. The original body shape was loosely modelled on the Opel Rekord E body shell, but had the front of the Opel Senator grafted on to accommodate the larger Holden engines. "
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #34
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra View Post
Holden historical information
That's a joke. I remember years ago BMC fans challenging Holden on a number of historical "firsts" for Australia that they were claiming, on which they were plainly wrong, such as disk brakes. I don't think Holden marketing people could ever lie straight in bed.

I don't normally like to say a Wikipedia article is right but I think in that case it is. GM Germany used the Commodore name there first, for the specific variant of the Rekford described.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #35
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
would pull my pants down for an early model Brock in the shed

srs
Now tell me, where do I swipe my 'card?!
Old 21-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
TPG sent me an advert for unlimited no contract NBN for around $100 per month.. with I think it was $95 one of fee thou.
The transaction would be declined .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it is appropriate that they lose the holden name once the plant is shut, GM/holden for years has milked the holden is an australian made car for australians for as long as I can remember, after the plant closes the holden name should go with it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
swipe through slot and enter the secret four digit code
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #39
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra View Post
Wrong, it was never known as Commodore in Europe. It was the Opel Rekford Series E. In the UK it was known as The Carlton.

Commodore was an Australian name.
Hmmm.. actually... Opel had been using the name Commodore on their cars since 1967.
That's 11 years before Holden adopted it for "our" version... so I think they can easily claim they thought of it first

They also introduced the Omega name plate back in the mid eighties...

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #40
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there was even a chevrolet commodore in the US, it was a VB (or euro equivalent)
if holden are using a european name for the new FWD pussbox would they just keep the Omega name going so people who don't care about cars just think the commodore has been renamed again?
however the commodore name is iconic in Aus, so using it on a FWD would not be the right thing to do at all.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #41
XWGT