Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Victorian roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcore View Post
Some of the roads here in Mildura are bad too.
the further from your state capital you are, the worse your roads will be. i don't think you can get much further from Melbourne.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #32
palms88
Starter Motor

Def seems to be country vic that is let down I live at Phillip island but have fam in warragul and the roads between have been pothole ridden for years some parts turning the road to gravel. Guess I won't be able to vist the family lol
I was up around toowoomba last year and the roads around there were pretty stuffed. The worse ones are the surprise potholes when your goin 100 nice and smooth then bam!
palms88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #33
OCTANEBOSS

Angry Re: Victorian roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms88 View Post
Anyone else hating driving around?? just recently got my new car which is pretty low and now driving around i am continually cringing in-case a surprise pothole pops up from over a crest can get me quite angry especially if i accidentally hit one of them.

anyone else got same issues with the roads??
Spent Christmas in my home state of Vic.. The roads are a lot worse than they were 5 years ago. IMO the recent Governments of the last ten years seem to be more interested on putting up artwork & other bull**** on the major roads etc than fixing the small ones. Got a flat spot my new left DF bigboy tailpipe section from humps on the bush roads. A bit ****ed about too. Would not bother doing a trip to Vic in the GT again. Can anyone tell me when they are going to finish the ring road in Melbourne, thats one scary drive since I was last there...Vic - 'the place not to be'
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #34
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

refering ring road seen 1 of those safety signs on the side of the road that had an older guy saying take care i work here ,wish i could have reached it and sprayed "yeah he started his apprenticeship on it"
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #35
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in victoria they simply don't repair roads, they just litter the shoulders edge with "rough surface ahead" signs ...i reckon i saw 100 of them on my way to Robe, SA this year.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #36
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
refering ring road seen 1 of those safety signs on the side of the road that had an older guy saying take care i work here ,wish i could have reached it and sprayed "yeah he started his apprenticeship on it"
Once they finish that section which has taken several years, they will move onto the next section which will take another several years.

Its like the Monash that had many years of road works. The contractors like to drag out the works to ensure work continuity.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in vic often line marking is a one time affair, it gets done when the roads new, your on your own after that ,
actually going back to the ring road, speed signs in some sections are spread pretty thin, if you merge onto the freeway and are checking traffic(if it`s running), you could miss a speed sign behind a truck or be looking in your mirror or something and you won`t see another for a couple of k`s, you have to take your best guess what the speed is by the other traffic........... talk about being tight with the signage.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000 View Post
in victoria they simply don't repair roads, they just litter the shoulders edge with "rough surface ahead" signs ...i reckon i saw 100 of them on my way to Robe, SA this year.
I live near the border and there's about 10 of those rough surface zones on the road I travel on every day. Some of the signs have been there for several years without any serious repairs to the road.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #39
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
the further from your state capital you are, the worse your roads will be. i don't think you can get much further from Melbourne.
Mildura is only one hour further from Melbourne from the South West, the problem we have is very heavy transport feeding a high volume port via a goat track
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #40
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drove around western Europe in a Fiat and didn't feel a bump on paved roads. Came back to Melbourne and took the very same Fiat with the same shocks and was constantly bracing myself for the bumps here on these roads. It's not fair that we have to buy suv's and dual cabs to be comfortable while driving and trying not get a speeding fine in Vic.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #41
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam View Post
I live near the border and there's about 10 of those rough surface zones on the road I travel on every day. Some of the signs have been there for several years without any serious repairs to the road.
that's my point...they would rather spend 10 bucks on a sign, than commit serious money to rectify the problem long term.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #42
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those who live near the state border are not encouraged by good roads and bridges to spend their hard earned in the bordering state, that seems to be the main reason the bridges across the Murray are a national disgrace.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

IF anyone here is familiar with Melbourne-Lancefield road (Mik a page back commented on it).

Half way up near Moneghetta, there is a road between there and Riddels Creek, its badly potholed and there is dips all over it.

So instead of fixing it, they put the speed limit down from 100 to 80, now its gone down from 80 to 60.

Whats next?

Might as well as get out and walk if its any slower lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #44
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
IF anyone here is familiar with Melbourne-Lancefield road (Mik a page back commented on it).

Half way up near Moneghetta, there is a road between there and Riddels Creek, its badly potholed and there is dips all over it.

So instead of fixing it, they put the speed limit down from 100 to 80, now its gone down from 80 to 60.

Whats next?

I haven't driven on that road for a few weeks but if its like that it must have deteriorated quickly. That used to be a good piece of road, which was why Mr Plod was always waiting over the hill. Now he has more reasons to wait there.

The first road to Riddell, after Clarkefield but before Bolinda (not the Bolinda one), always has been pretty rough, so I haven't driven on that for a long time.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #45
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

our roads are fantastic
if you like 400 patches and manhole covers every 20 meters exactly where the wheels are on the road
its great fun
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #46
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Whats next?

being a local i will help you out....i think you are referring to the Gisborne-Kilmore RD which can only being described as a goat track now.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #47
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:

Whats next?

The moneghetta one will be that way for army testing...lol (best trip I ever had in the army)
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #48
SS Eater

Lived all my life in the ACT or the south coast of NSW with out 1 flat tyre or cracked rim, moved to VIC 18 months ago and have cracked 2 rims.
The roads in this state are bad..
Pot holes large enough to get lost in and man hole covers that are more like speed humps.
All state governments are receiving record profits from speed cameras and parking fines, but how much is actually going towards road maintenance....
Not much if you ask me.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000 View Post
being a local i will help you out....i think you are referring to the Gisborne-Kilmore RD which can only being described as a goat track now.

I think thats the one, its between the pig farm/general store thing on Melbourne Lancefield road, at Moneghetta which leads to Riddels Creek.

Good to see some locals on AFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl View Post
The moneghetta one will be that way for army testing...lol (best trip I ever had in the army)
I've been wondering about getting a job at that base, do you have to be military to get in there or something?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #50
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_gxl View Post
Agreed, maybe they needed more torture test track. I've been inside there many years ago, the washboard test (or whatever they call it) was quite an eye opener with the vehicle they were testing driving up and down this track all day. I certainly wouldn't want to be the driver being shaken to bits.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #51
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Big Damo;4653197]I think thats the one, its between the pig farm/general store thing on Melbourne Lancefield road, at Moneghetta which leads to Riddels Creek.

Good to see some locals on AFF

yep, we are talking about the same section of road.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Whats next?

yes they pearler's some off them, my mate lives in lancefield, occasionally i whip up and see him, on occassion take back roads just for some excitement.......... play spot the pot hole lol.
it seems councils just don`t have the funds to look after these roads any more, not that they where ever grouse, but once upon a time you would at least see a few council workers out filling the nasty potholes with a bit of hot mix fairly frequently.
now this is where i mention all the different factions of government sabotaging each other, labor federales don`t want liberal states to succeed and kill their funding, the states refuse to cooperate in other area`s for the same deal, i`m not playing favourites , these turkeys are all guilty of the same crap, the worst part is,............... the system shafts the citizen yet again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #53
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Partner went back at 6pm and avoided the traffic by using Moorooduc Rd exit off peninsula fwy through Frankston (the old way) no traffic and straight on to Eastlink, massive saving of time, could see the bank up on the Link from Frankston fwy.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post