Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #91
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
The thing is we don't lone them we have a contract for them every season, Erricson will not sell them so like the northern hemisphere we have a contract for our fire season
I Figure if the Italians can have (own) a couple since at least 2006, it would be a worthwhile investment.

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho...hp?id=00823002

Old 25-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #92
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Apparently when leaving court or where ever he was this kid was flipping off everyone and laughing. His dad was doing the same thing. Obviously his family doesn't care much about what he had done.
Sounds like they both see it all as a big joke, a bit sad for the kids future if that is the case.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #93
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Sure, we can buy expensive sky-cranes and we can continue to risk the lives of the gallant RFS, or we can learn a thing or two from the old Australian inhabitants.

Have a listen to this clip, it may change everything you ever thought you knew or were taught about Australian fauna and flora, the information would seem to go against the very ethos of today's green movement. A real inconvenient truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sko-YDIULKY
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #94
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Sure, we can buy expensive sky-cranes and we can continue to risk the lives of the gallant RFS, or we can learn a thing or two from the old Australian inhabitants.

Have a listen to this clip, it may change everything you ever thought you knew or were taught about Australian fauna and flora, the information would seem to go against the very ethos of today's green movement. A real inconvenient truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sko-YDIULKY
Yea, I haven't listened to this piece, but he was on 2UE one afternoon this week and while I didn't 100% agree with every thing he said, I think he made a very valid point on a lot of things.

I'm not sure how you could implement a lot of it either, but his 10% per year idea has a lot of merit

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #95
Fantome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You absolutely sure it is the same chopper? Apparently Erikson have several different models, and the controversy in Victoria is that unlike previous years where we've used the full monty 'Elvis' verson, this year Victoria has leased a smaller model. Apparently looks very similar but the water payload is a good 30-40% less.
The 2 aircranes we are currently using in NSW are S-64Es, Elvis is a S-64F. Main differences are the F model carries 9,200 litres and the E model around 8,000 litres. However the E is marginally faster so volume of water delivered in a given timeframe is about the same.

Another issue with buying the aircranes outright is that Erikson are not only sole suppliers of the airframe but also the sole supplier of parts plus training for both pilots and maintenance personnel. It just makes sense to hire the whole package I guess.

Anyway I've just got home for the weekend and I'm pretty shattered, back down on Monday for another 5 day stint.

Last edited by Fantome; 25-10-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #96
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't studied the sky cranes at all so its good to read these little differences

Top effort this week mate, and stay safe next week

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by GasoLane; 26-10-2013 at 09:20 PM.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #97
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantome View Post
Anyway I've just got home for the weekend and I'm pretty shattered, back down on Monday for another 5 day stint.
C'mon Graham, admit it... you just wanted to ride in a bigger Chopper than the ones you used in the Coona fires.!

(Payback for the Truck thread comment )