Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-12-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Default Has anyone changed an IRS diff ratio?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone on the forums got an IRS setup with shorter gears than 3.45's in them? Any 3.73's or 3.9's?
I know the live axle has had it done heaps of times but I've yet to come across an IRS setup with these gearings.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
T3man
Banned

I have considered going the other way with mine as first is a bit short. Only problem is that fifth is geared for about 300km/h as it is now, so any taller would be a problem at that end. What I really need is a gear in between fourth and fifth ...

However, to answer your Q I know Mal Woods has done a couple of cars with 3.73. But I don't know if they are people from this site. I know they have also done a couple of BAs with 3.73 but 3.91 is not yet available for the BA diffs.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
wild6
wild6

ive got 3.9's in my au xr8 and ive had no problems managed to get a 13.9 out of it so it must have made some improvement
wild6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild6
ive got 3.9's in my au xr8 and ive had no problems managed to get a 13.9 out of it so it must have made some improvement
how much was it to have the gears put into the IRS? are they the same gears as used in a live axle diff???
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
how much was it to have the gears put into the IRS? are they the same gears as used in a live axle diff???
I've been quoted around $1650 for a full rebuild including new diff gears on mine. As for the actual gears, I believe they are different to the live axle ones from what I've been told..

Old 24-12-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
buickman
buickman

Most places charge about $1,500 to change & rebuild the Borg warner diff. So that price would be the norm
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #7
TCK-098

To get mine diff done IRS currently 3.45 open wheeler $750 to change over to L.S.D and about $1400 to go to a 3.9 L.S.D centre.

Hope that helps
Old 04-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Cespenar
Huh?

Default Diff change.

I have bought a Max Ellery's workshop manual for the AU's and it states that "once the differential has been removed from the carrier it is identical to the conventional beam axle carrier. Hope this helps.
Cespenar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #9
LOWAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cespenar
I have bought a Max Ellery's workshop manual for the AU's and it states that "once the differential has been removed from the carrier it is identical to the conventional beam axle carrier. Hope this helps.
So if I was to get LSD center including gears from a IRS it would fit in a live axle diff?
I need this cleared as I am on the hunt for a cheap stoko LSD diff for my car and XR6 HP LSD diffs are hard to find, but there is a few IRS LSDs around.

Casper- my brother (SIKSIX) got his diff converted from SS to LSD with new cones and 3.7s for around $1000, but it is a live axle so maybe it doesn't help you much,
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #10
wild6
wild6

i got mine rebuilt and gears changed to 3.9s for $1350 i think its bout $700 to just change the gears
wild6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #11
X ORSMXR
missing the panther

Mate give Chris a Call at Blue Power racing as he does all in house work ieiff gears and gearbox work and do a very good job...
X ORSMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Give grunter (moderator on the XR6 & XR8 club of QLD section) a PM as he had his AU2 XR8 done at Mal Woods about 2 years ago
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Oh, I know it can be done, I also have quotes and have already worked out the details, I was just curious to know if anyone had already done it to an IRS setup and what it was like.