Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Insurance question

Hey guys I have a vehicle thats registered in my name, but I want to give the car to my mum but keep the registration in my name as it's too much hassle getting roady's plus paying stamp duty and transfer fee's when the car is in the same family stupid vicroad's.

Anyway my question is can the car be registered in my name but insured in my mum's name as it's going to be her car from now onxis this ok or does the insurance need to be in my name with her as second driver when really she's going to be the one only driving the car

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
RSPEC#78
FORD FANATIC

Default Re: Insurance question

you can put it in her name, doesnt matter if its registered in your name, but if i were you i would be asking the insurance company these sort of questions:-) Also you dont pay stamp duty on a car thats "classified" as a gift... as in no money changes hands. I have seen it done, just FYI:-) In QLD anyway, might be different in VIC
RSPEC#78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPEC#78 View Post
you can put it in her name, doesnt matter if its registered in your name, but if i were you i would be asking the insurance company these sort of questions:-) Also you dont pay stamp duty on a car thats "classified" as a gift... as in no money changes hands. I have seen it done, just FYI:-) In QLD anyway, might be different in VIC
I did this 6 months ago with a car I got of a family member and had a stat dec saying he gave me the car and they still calculated stamp duty from market value and charged me the *********
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably easier to leave it all in your name and have your Mum pay the insurance bill when it comes in. Nominated her as the regular driver.

Not much different from a married couple who share a car, and only one of them regularly drives it.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmattie View Post
Probably easier to leave it all in your name and have your Mum pay the insurance bill when it comes in. Nominated her as the regular driver.

Not much different from a married couple who share a car, and only one of them regularly drives it.
I agree, easiest option

rego is not proof of ownership, why waste $ changing it into her name

stamp duty exemptions are rare and don't usually include sales/gifts within a family
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Last time I enquired to an insurance company about this, they actually preferred the regular driver to be the policy holder, even though its registered in another name.

Get your mother to ring her insurance company and ask. She may also be able get the insurance cheaper than you.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
80kms

if She is responsible for servicing, repairs and maintenance etc, and if damaged or written off in an accident it would be her responsibility to repair or replace it, then she has a financial interest in the car and hence is entitled to insure it in her own name.
80kms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All done thanks for the info guys gave my old car to my mum this arvo and she got it insured with racv in her name no probs
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I done this with my missus, gave her the xr6t as a gift. When it came to insurance, putting her on as the nominated driver doubled the premium. So I said I will just keep it insured in my name and keep her as a secondary driver which halved the premiums again.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post