Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Exemption from VicRoads

id just drive it, if you apply for a exemption and they deny it if you get pulled over they have proof you know your doing the wrong thing... if you just drive it i recon 99% of cops wouldn't care that its a v8 they would realise that its a overweight underpowered brick LOL
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #32
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct, orange lights are legal, common on mine and breakdown vehicles and all pilot vehicles have them
I agree with Trevor, apply and you should get it through as it is by no means high performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
dumb *****, SES have been able to run red and blue lights for years FFS, I am an ex VicSES Unit Controller, in a previous life I actually conducted a lot of training with SES people on running as emergency vehicles using red and blue lights, that was back pre-2000

I am pretty confident you could run orange lights without any compliance issues, your roadworthy bloke couldn't give a **** that is for sure, there would be nothing in the roadworthy process about orange flashing lights on the roof

You can get a MR licence after one year on P Plates and a HR after 2 years on P Plates BUT you don't need one to drive that and it will make no difference to the whole power to weight thing, save your money.

I wouldn't think that would conform to their determination of 'high performance'. I would make a written application to Vicroads, give all the details of the vehicle including the fact that is a V8 diesel and include photos, they will come back with an exemption I am pretty confident
I teach TLIF1007C APPLY FATIGUE MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES at work and there is no distinction between private and driving for work (except buses). if your vehicle fits the criteria you must use a work diary if traveling the set distance ( this can vary depending on vehicle type certain buses have a different distance to trucks and there are exemptions but not just for private vehicles) this is only a brief description see the link for more details
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/heavyvehic...xpemptions.pdf
Quote:
I have been out of the system for a while, but I am pretty confident that you only need a drivers diary (log book) if you are driving for 'hire or reward', the fact that it is your vehicle and you are not carrying goods for a fee (i.e. you are not being paid by someone to carry the goods) then you shouldn't have to carry a 'log book' I will stand corrected on this as it has been a while

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 24-04-2013 at 12:22 PM.
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #33
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
I teach TLIF1007C APPLY FATIGUE MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES at work and there is no distinction between private and driving for work (except buses). if your vehicle fits the criteria you must use a work diary if traveling the set distance
I did a little research earlier and I believe you are right, from what I read driving a 'fatigue related vehicle' (over 12 tonne) requires you to have a driver diary, my apologies for any confusion, I did say it has been a while
Old 24-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #34
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'd be very unlucky to be pulled up for driving that, most police wouldn't even look twice. Keep the vehicle in good condition, and drive sensibly, there shouldn't be a problem.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #35
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

believe me I know what you mean they move the goalposts all the time and unless you are delivering the material it is hard to keep up.
Quote:
I did a little research earlier and I believe you are right, from what I read driving a 'fatigue related vehicle' (over 12 tonne) requires you to have a driver diary, my apologies for any confusion, I did say it has been a while

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

This user likes this post:
Old 24-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
You'd be very unlucky to be pulled up for driving that, most police wouldn't even look twice. Keep the vehicle in good condition, and drive sensibly, there shouldn't be a problem.
Yeh that is what all the drug dealers say.

It is not being pulled over that in the problem, it is being involved in an accident and finding your insurance is invalid or worse still hurting or killing someone and finding you are unlicensed and is a whole world of pain.

Do not drive it if you cannot do it legally, you have nothing to gain and a lot to lose. Even in Russian Roulette 5 out of 6 times you should be ok.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
believe me I know what you mean they move the goalposts all the time and unless you are delivering the material it is hard to keep up.
I also deliver from the TLI package but at Cert IV and Diploma level, good to meet a like minded person -
Old 24-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Who would I write to at VicRoads for an exemption? I'll type up a letter and put in a photo of the truck and what I intend to do with it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

phone them would be your best bet . make sure you register the letter so they can't "lose it" . the temptation to bin it and say it never arrived is removed once there is a paper trail

Rides:

Old 26-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...Exemption1.pdf

Has the address there, its in Bendigo, but I don't want an exemption out of "hardship", unless "hardship" includes owning 3 other cars which are P plate legal, and having another 2 in the driveway available at any time.

I'm just going to write up a letter, power to weight ratio is:

Power - 140KW, divided by weight - 4082kg = 0.0342 (x1000) = 34.2KW/Tonne abouts.

Pretty much less than your obese grandma's mobility scooter
Old 26-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #41
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
It is not being pulled over that in the problem, it is being involved in an accident and finding your insurance is invalid or worse still hurting or killing someone and finding you are unlicensed and is a whole world of pain.
This is the major issue if you choose to ignore the rules. Surely if you push vicroads hard enough and for long enough they'll give in.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #42
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel for you Damo, it's not like you are trying to sneak a performance car under their noses. My brother has a BA XR6 and is doing up a HZ Premier with the asthmatic 253, under current vic laws, he can drive the BA but not the HZ, which is hilarious because the HZ cannot pull skin off custard.........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #43
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is stupid to "just do it" then fight any fines. if you are illegal you WILL have your insurance invalidated as you knowingly drove a car you aren't licenced for. when I say insurance I mean CTP as well so if you injure someone you'll be paying for it till you die.
I can't believe we have members who give such stupid, illegal advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
This is the major issue if you choose to ignore the rules. Surely if you push vicroads hard enough and for long enough they'll give in.

Rides:

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 26-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 26-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The general consensus is I have no chance because I've got multiple cars, but I'll give it a shot with logic and reasoning.

I might take more photos after I have removed the light pod and red lights, then send it in, because I reckon if they see the emergency lights they will freak.

If I won, would this change the law or allow other people in the same situation an exemption easily under the same basis?

Or just I'm allowed to drive stuff like this and everyone else isn't?

I don't understand how they can exempt a 6 cylinder turbo vehicle under power to weight ratio, but not a V8?
Old 26-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If approved it could go 2 ways. A general exemption granted for that vehicle type, or you are granted an exemption as a one off for that vehicle only. in the second case you would be the only P plater allowed to drive it. under the first case any P plater could drive any vehicle of the same make / model with the same drive train.
I am usually against P plate exemptions as they need to gain experience before driving powerful cars but this is a case that shows a poorly designed law. the vehicle is obviously not a performance vehicle and in this case should be exempt. maybe we need to look at power to weight instead of blindly saying no turbo or V8 seeing a stock FG 6 is more powerful than many old V8s
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
The general consensus is I have no chance because I've got multiple cars, but I'll give it a shot with logic and reasoning.

I might take more photos after I have removed the light pod and red lights, then send it in, because I reckon if they see the emergency lights they will freak.

If I won, would this change the law or allow other people in the same situation an exemption easily under the same basis?

Rides:

Old 26-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #46
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't understand how they can exempt a 6 cylinder turbo vehicle under power to weight ratio, but not a V8?
My personal opinion here, go into your local Vicroads office with the vehicle stats and pictures, go face to face with someone, it easier for them to say no in an email and more difficult face to face, if you can ask to talk to a supervisor up front.
Old 26-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
My personal opinion here, go into your local Vicroads office with the vehicle stats and pictures, go face to face with someone, it easier for them to say no in an email and more difficult face to face, if you can ask to talk to a supervisor up front.
I was going to send it in via registered letter, but I'll go in with the letter and photos, most likely into Sunbury or Kyneton VicRoads.

Kyneton staff seem to be a bit nicer when I went there to register my Falcon.

Out of interest, before 2007 it actually was originally just power to weight ratio restrictions, you could drive anything as long as it was under 125KW/Tonne, when they blanket banned V8s and turbo cars they also opened up another field, cars like Honda S2000 etc by removing the power to weight ratio.

Double edged sword I guess.
Old 26-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #48
NeoBF
Always thinking...

If you go to this link and write your letter into the blank fields then Vicroads has an obligation to respond to you within 7 business days.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...dEnquiries.htm

Also, whatever you do don't mention that you have any p plate legal cars available; when I wrote I questioned about circumstances where I could not drive my car due to the garage failing on multiple occasions; they said tough bikkies as I admitted to owning a p plate legal car. Stupid
Old 27-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #49
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you put a tool box in the back and call it your van to carry your tools to work?
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #50
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I would be pushing the point that it is a turbo DIESEL V8.
Im not sure what the ruling is in Vic but in NSW where P platers cannot drive a petrol turbo at all with the blanket ban , a turbo diesel does not apply to the rules at all.
They are free reign to be driven.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #51
hagarone

If you had an ABN you could get an Automatic Exemption.
hagarone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #52
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
I was going to send it in via registered letter, but I'll go in with the letter and photos, most likely into Sunbury or Kyneton VicRoads.

Kyneton staff seem to be a bit nicer when I went there to register my Falcon.

Out of interest, before 2007 it actually was originally just power to weight ratio restrictions, you could drive anything as long as it was under 125KW/Tonne, when they blanket banned V8s and turbo cars they also opened up another field, cars like Honda S2000 etc by removing the power to weight ratio.

Double edged sword I guess.
Kyneton. My experience with them is brilliant. When i took my UK Mk3 Capri there they where all over it like a rash, adoring it!!

Seriously though, I have had many positive experiences with Vic Roads Kyneton.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #53
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, I remember something a while ago came out about exemptions for turbo diesels, a visit is a good idea