Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #121
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: What tech missing from Australian cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
To those that disagree that tech is needed or believe its a distraction, is there anything that's been mentioned, that you see as a benefit for a updated Falcon (and Territory)?

I know some of you wished the most tech cars had, is a crank handle to start them (I kid, I kid, ;) ), but is there one feature listed in this thread, as something you see as neccessary for the Falcon to compete against other similaly priced large cars (i.e. VF Commodore, 300C, all models inc FPV/SRT/HSV)?

To be clear, I'm not talking about heated/cooled cup holders, but what you would see as a geniune feature that the Falcon (Territory) needs, that will/can assit sales from Joe Public.
This is a really good question.

Maybe it needs to be broken down into two questions. First one being, what does the Falcon need for particular international markets for it to be an export success, and, secondly, what does it need to be competitive in the domestic market.

I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment and have been looking at the international websites and it appears manufacturers option up the same car differently depending on what country it is exported to.

Last edited by PG2; 24-04-2013 at 06:51 PM.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #122
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon/ Territory need to cover most of commonly available options ( heated seats, sunroof, folding mirrors, auto windows , navigation and connectivity ) and than introduce something that is not available anywhere else. Innovate in some way.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #123
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I tell you what...all I expect from the next falcon is its usual step up in quality, economy and features. As long as they are moving ahead with every new model im happy. Im allready happy with the fastest, biggest, safest, sexiest, roomiest, best handling and comfiest thing this side if a kia/Hyundai or a cherry.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #124
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Are you talking philosophically, or as in, right now with FGII?
A bit of both. I understand there might be technical reasons why the FGII don't have it, but it would be nice if it did. The way I see it, there's no excuse for the 2014 Falcon if it isn't as fully kitted out as cars that cost the same or are cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58 View Post
Are we all becoming a bunch of softies? I don't understand the demand for heated seats, seems like they would just make you tired, much like the heater does.

Also, blind spot detection is just lazy, and could cost a lot if it "missed" a car in your blind spot and you were to used to not looking.
I could probably live without heated seats but not cooled seats. Ever tried sitting in a car with leather seats when it's been out in the sun on a 40C day?

And blind spot detection isn't laziness, it's a safety net. Good driving habits shouldn't die off with advancements in driver aids such as this and lane departure warning, these driver aids are just that - aids. I have reverse sensors on my car, but I still turn my head back whenever I'm reversing. Having blind spot detection isn't going to stop me from physically checking my blind spots, but it's there as a safety net in case I screw up.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #125
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon a lot need to htfu with life in general.. then again the latest greatest jam packed gadgets double parked in a school zone really means a lot in little boring ramsey street lives..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #126
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
A bit of both. I understand there might be technical reasons why the FGII don't have it, but it would be nice if it did. The way I see it, there's no excuse for the 2014 Falcon if it isn't as fully kitted out as cars that cost the same or are cheaper.

I could probably live without heated seats but not cooled seats. Ever tried sitting in a car with leather seats when it's been out in the sun on a 40C day?

And blind spot detection isn't laziness, it's a safety net. Good driving habits shouldn't die off with advancements in driver aids such as this and lane departure warning, these driver aids are just that - aids. I have reverse sensors on my car, but I still turn my head back whenever I'm reversing. Having blind spot detection isn't going to stop me from physically checking my blind spots, but it's there as a safety net in case I screw up.
blind spot detection is a bit of a laugh, i had bloke run into me yesterday(while i was stationery ) because he couldn`t judge the size of his lumbering four wheel drive , people can`t even drive forward motion with plenty of visibility, fair dinkum we need fool spot detectors.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #127
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its kind of pointless to always put the latest tech in, especially new yearly refreshed models and alot of new tech is still in testing.

Ford AU are just trying to keep costs down but they are killing themselves

Tech should not constitute a good car but fickle consumers that know nothing about cars will flock to it like flies to poo

We are about 20-30 years behind in the engine department.
10 years behind in other area's like interior and standard features
5years+ on average though
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #128
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut View Post

Lols what?

What engine 30 years ago had 180kw/360nm from 2L, alloy head and block, direct injection, 4valves/cyl, independant variable cam timing, and turbo charger?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #129
1TUFFUTE
Banned

he must have been joking because that's just silly
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #130
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
i reckon a lot need to htfu with life in general.. then again the latest greatest jam packed gadgets double parked in a school zone really means a lot in little boring ramsey street lives..
Thank you for that snippet of wisdon, in a thread that you obviously are unable to contribute to in any meaningful way. You have a finger on the pulse of AFF and the greater buying public! You da man!

Any wonder threads go down hill here theses days (and why a good number of regulars either don't bother, or rarely post anymore), it's not the "trolls", it's people like you attempting to be "funny" by belittling others when their opinions don't fit with yours or you perceive there's an anti Ford agenda (which there isn't).

Agree, disagree, but try and step up and contribute to the topic. It's really not that hard champ. Or hold up on the typing, go grab a cuppa and relax.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #131
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
blind spot detection is a bit of a laugh, i had bloke run into me yesterday(while i was stationery ) because he couldn`t judge the size of his lumbering four wheel drive , people can`t even drive forward motion with plenty of visibility, fair dinkum we need fool spot detectors.
You need to read up on it. It's got nothing to do with the situation you mentioned.

Did his 4x4 have BSD?, Does you car?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #132
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut View Post
Its kind of pointless to always put the latest tech in, especially new yearly refreshed models and alot of new tech is still in testing.

Ford AU are just trying to keep costs down but they are killing themselves

Tech should not constitute a good car but fickle consumers that know nothing about cars will flock to it like flies to poo

10 years behind in other area's like interior and standard features
5years+ on average though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV1LzXf1TKQ
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #133
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Next thing you know, people will be insisting on heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheels, massaging seats...the list goes on....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #134
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a strong suspicion that, given a choice between, say, an extra airbag and a toy (your choice of feature/gimmick that constitutes a "toy"), the average punter would take the toy.

The knack is getting the right balance of toys/features for every model price point.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #135
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC View Post

How mush searching did ya do to get that little gem?
Old 27-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #136
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post

Yep, my car has leather seats, and to make it worse is a dark colour. Generations before us have been sitting on vinyl seats in the same condition, and the thing is, by the time the cooling kicked in you would have become used to it in normal conditions anyway.

It's great that you would use it as only a safety net, but that doesn't mean everybody else is the same. The world is full of terrible drivers, this could only make that worse in the case of a fault with the system.
Old 27-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #137
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58 View Post
It's great that you would use it as only a safety net, but that doesn't mean everybody else is the same. The world is full of terrible drivers, this could only make that worse in the case of a fault with the system.
I would agree to the point that there are terrible drivers on the road, but that shouldn't deprive the rest of us of the "toys" in the cars.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall listening to a driver explaining to the insurer that they shouldn't be liable because their blind spot monitoring system failed ....
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #138
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a feature cars in the US have had for decades, but I've never seen it here. Combination keypads. I don't think we need it though.

TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #139
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i wasnt serious

What i meant to say is that the i6 ford uses is really old.

Its still a great motor though.

Anyway we do seem to be missing alot of features on the models all through the range.

Too much too list especially for up spec models
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post