Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default favourite sunday drive?

Do you have a favourite country cruise road?

you know the type of day, usually sunny and maybe you just polished the beast, and maybe feel like a nice drive with the music cranked up and you take a mate, or even just on your own. For example in Victoria I wouldn’t mind betting the Great Ocean road is on top of most lists. Maybe in NSW the Blue Mountains? In SA, I like the road to Cape Jervois because it has a combination of hills, tight corners, open corners, straights, scenery and the final few kilometres is awfully close to the original ‘Conrod Straight’ before they added the kink. Then you end up at a nice beach

FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

We live out north of Adelaide so my favourite sunday drive is up through Gawler to williamstown, via the whispering wall, gotta keep the squids content.
Then onto Birdwood for a look around the museum or Gumeracha to the Toy Factory, the squids again..lol.
From there we head south and stop somewhere for lunch before making our way back down the SE freeway, through the city and home perhaps via the Port/Garden island depending on time.
'tis a good day out, plenty to see, bit of everything.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
We live out north of Adelaide so my favourite sunday drive is up through Gawler to williamstown, via the whispering wall, gotta keep the squids content.
Then onto Birdwood for a look around the museum or Gumeracha to the Toy Factory, the squids again..lol.
From there we head south and stop somewhere for lunch before making our way back down the SE freeway, through the city and home perhaps via the Port/Garden island depending on time.
'tis a good day out, plenty to see, bit of everything.
that whispering wall drive is spectacular! i made the mistake of asking a few extra friends (back seat) to come along on my last drive on that road.....result, vomited at Barossa valley. I wasnt going that fast all all but i didnt know that they got motion sickness! i felt guilty but i wasnt pushing it at all, just the constant hairpins near the gorge.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving up to Mount Macedon, going up the very twisty road to reach the township across mossy roads and 10km/h recomended corners
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

South of Melbourne, the Mornington Peninsula has many pleasant drives. Down through Shoreham and Flinders to Cape Schanck for example. Great scenery and plenty of choice for tasty brekkies and lots of nice wineries for lunch. The old XC loves a Sunday "drive"...

I also like driving around north eastern Victoria, Bright/Myrtleford areas. Just beautiful in Autumn. Up around Rutherglen it gets crazy for choice with all the good wineries and eateries. Good friends, open fire, great country tucker and plenty of Shiraz & Muscat. Nice weekend trip, or longer if possible.
Old 28-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

victor harbor for sure. Or a gentle drive through the hills, Clarendon mclaren vale. Wonderful country and great roads to cruise.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back when I was at uni and couldn't be bothered attending lectures, I used to drive down to Glenelg and then along the foreshore until about Grange. Used to like that drive.
Now, I just have to go out the front door to get a nice drive. :
Old 28-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: favourite sunday drive?

Old thread I know, but I wanted show what my favourite driving route is.

As I live north of the Gold Coast, I head south-bound down the M1 to turn off at Nerang. I then follow Nerang-Murwillumbah Road all the way down into NSW. The road turns into Numinbah Road as it heads back to QLD and then follow the signs to Currumbin. Simple.

Last edited by TC200six; 28-02-2013 at 01:35 AM.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #9
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna View Post
that whispering wall drive is spectacular! i made the mistake of asking a few extra friends (back seat) to come along on my last drive on that road.....result, vomited at Barossa valley. I wasnt going that fast all all but i didnt know that they got motion sickness! i felt guilty but i wasnt pushing it at all, just the constant hairpins near the gorge.
i drive whispering wall road nearly every day

if you do gorge and all that scoot out and hit i think its Fox Creek road on the right
take the cuddle creek turn off and then take fox creek on the right and keep on that until it (pretty much) turns into Coldstore road which goes into Tiers road which will take you to Woodside

nice drive
can be killer on the tyres tho
watch the edges thru the hairpin, can be few 'stones and branches' from the face

Last edited by MercurySilver; 28-02-2013 at 03:00 AM.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
JimStone

Great day trip in the tropical far north Queensland, some great scenery, twisty mounitains and wide open cruising roads:

Head north from Cairns to Port Douglas for breakfast. After breakfast head further north towards Mossman, turn left just outside of Mossman and take the Rex Range Road towards Mt Molloy, turn left and head towards Mareeba. Just outside Mareeba turn right towards Chillagoe, about 10 ks or so down the road turn off to Skybury Coffee (look fro the "Australian Coffee Experience" signs) for great lunch looking out from an elevated deck.
Head back out via Mareeba, travel south towards Atherton. Pass through Atherton and continue on through Yungaburra. Call into either Nicks Cafe for a quiet afternoon tea or the historic pub if that is your preference. An alternate is to take a small detour between Atherton and Yungaburra following the signs to Gallo Dairyland, haven for caffeine, cheese and chocoholics.

Head out of Yungaburra towards Gordonvale via the Gillies Range, at the bottom of the range call into the Mountianview Pub on the left to let your passengers recover. Continue on through Gordonvale, turning left at the Bruce Hwy heading north back into Cairns.

Nice 270klm jaunt that gives you everything from the scenic coastline run , not one but two entertaining rainforest shrouded mountain range runs and a taste of agricultural Australia with everything to see from Friesian cattle grazing to cane farms.

Many variations are available with a further two range roads (the Palmerston near Innisfail, Kuranda Range just to the north of Cairns) and many scenic and activity options depending on which of the routes crisscrossing the Atherton Tablelands you decide to follow.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My favourite Sunday drive is from Mildura Victoria, Up to Wentworth NSW then along the Silver City Highway through Dareton and back across the Murray River into Victoria again.
It's a relatively short run but it's fun and relaxing.
Old 28-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I really used to love the Sunday drive up to a swimming hole past Mossman from Cairns.

Done it hundreds of times, in a beetle, supercharged LJ, VL Turbo, G6E, my old XR6, Nissan Micra....No matter what car, it's an unreal drive!

Best memory was chasing a black S ute, seeing the relfection of my XR6 hugging the road in his tailgate.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Scradley6666

Mines from Nowra on the Moss Vale rd, up to Kangaroo Valley through Cambewarra Mountain then over Mount Barrengary, and onto the Hume from Sally's Corner rd down to Goulburn for lunch at the Asta Pub.

Then head off back down to Canberra and take the Kings Highway to Batemans Bay and drive the Princes Highway back to Nowra.

It's a long day but worth every minute. Good combination of tight hairpins through rainforests on well maintained roads onto the highway to open her up a lil but, then more windy parts on the Kings HWY back along the beautiful part of the Princes Hwy.

P.s BP at Marulan as well. ;)

Out with the old:
2006 BF XR8 Falcon - 240RWKW
Difilippo Headers, Magnaflow 200CPSI Cats, X-Force Quad Stainless Exhaust, BPR CAI, ZF 6 SPD, Tuned by CV Performance!

In with the new:
2009 FG XR6 Turbo Falcon - Stock as a rock (but not for long)
EGO Colour with premium audio and ZF 6 SPD
Scradley6666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I go for a sunday drive, there are some great roads between Bathurst & Lithgow.

but this is one of my faves
http://goo.gl/maps/rAAIN
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cairns to Port Douglas- gorgeous!
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #16
gumbi_18

My favourite is more of a day trip. Head south from Sydney to Albion Park. Go up Macquarie pass and before you get to Robertson turn left to head Kiama on Jamberoo road. Such a good drive on Sunday morning and you can have lunch in Kiama.

Map
gumbi_18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #17
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbi_18 View Post
My favourite is more of a day trip. Head south from Sydney to Albion Park. Go up Macquarie pass and before you get to Robertson turn left to head Kiama on Jamberoo road. Such a good drive on Sunday morning and you can have lunch in Kiama.
Just did this today! Left at lunchtime though, not really a day trip for us in the south haha. Had a pie at the Robertson pie shop, they have some good pies i tell ya, all in all a nice lil day out

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scradley6666 View Post
Mines from Nowra on the Moss Vale rd, up to Kangaroo Valley through Cambewarra Mountain then over Mount Barrengary, and onto the Hume from Sally's Corner rd down to Goulburn for lunch at the Asta Pub.

Then head off back down to Canberra and take the Kings Highway to Batemans Bay and drive the Princes Highway back to Nowra.

It's a long day but worth every minute. Good combination of tight hairpins through rainforests on well maintained roads onto the highway to open her up a lil but, then more windy parts on the Kings HWY back along the beautiful part of the Princes Hwy.

P.s BP at Marulan as well. ;)
Sorta used to do a similar loop ..... but coming down from Sydney Metro though ... would do it at night before a string of nightshift ... just to get me in the swing of things being awake all night.

Long gone are those days though .... now i have a family of my own .... so the big night drives on my own are a thing of the past.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Another run I remember doing was up to Coffs harbour and then up to Bellengen/Dorrigo and then across to Armidale and back to Sydney ... some nice sweepers out there.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #20
simo
Starter Motor

i love the drive between melbourne and yea, nice calming roads and scenes
simo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn I hate you guys. not a sunday drive but the best road trip ever .

Years ago in NZ had a fiat 124 covertible left hand drive.
Leave CHCH around 8pm heading to west coast , hood down, windows up, heater on, exhust coming out the side (naughty illegal etc ) and up through the mountains, exhaust noise reverberating from the moutains, sometimes Id just drive straight back again just for the joy.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #22
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
Great day trip in the tropical far north Queensland, some great scenery, twisty mounitains and wide open cruising roads:

Head north from Cairns to Port Douglas for breakfast. After breakfast head further north towards Mossman, turn left just outside of Mossman and take the Rex Range Road towards Mt Molloy, turn left and head towards Mareeba. Just outside Mareeba turn right towards Chillagoe, about 10 ks or so down the road turn off to Skybury Coffee (look fro the "Australian Coffee Experience" signs) for great lunch looking out from an elevated deck.
Head back out via Mareeba, travel south towards Atherton. Pass through Atherton and continue on through Yungaburra. Call into either Nicks Cafe for a quiet afternoon tea or the historic pub if that is your preference. An alternate is to take a small detour between Atherton and Yungaburra following the signs to Gallo Dairyland, haven for caffeine, cheese and chocoholics.

Head out of Yungaburra towards Gordonvale via the Gillies Range, at the bottom of the range call into the Mountianview Pub on the left to let your passengers recover. Continue on through Gordonvale, turning left at the Bruce Hwy heading north back into Cairns.

Nice 270klm jaunt that gives you everything from the scenic coastline run , not one but two entertaining rainforest shrouded mountain range runs and a taste of agricultural Australia with everything to see from Friesian cattle grazing to cane farms.

Many variations are available with a further two range roads (the Palmerston near Innisfail, Kuranda Range just to the north of Cairns) and many scenic and activity options depending on which of the routes crisscrossing the Atherton Tablelands you decide to follow.
I have done that in a truck, would love to do the Gillies in the GT one day.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #23
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perth to York (and back). Can be a bit bouncy, but that just adds to the character. Plenty of "twisty" bits as well.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #24
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I blast along Imlay Road when i can. it's between Cann River and Eden. it is almost entirely curves, and well built as it's intended for logging trucks. Very low traffic too. Bikers love it.

i used to like going from Wyndham to Candelo along "Mertle Mountain Road", but lack of maintenance means it's too patchy and undulating to get any speed.