Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #61
ZGM86

Default Re: Which cars got away from you?

In 2004, a green CH or CJ Chrysler by Chrysler 360 was parked on the side of the road for sale, asking price of $2000. It was straight, complete, and running, with rust in the usual places, and the 360 was apparently worked (can't remember the details). I was a broke unemployed student at the time so I couldn't get my hands on the money, bugger.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #62
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

1972 - just back from Nasho's and a mate and I getting ready to travel around oz by motor bike.

Got offered a Mk1 Lotus Cortina for $1500.

Couldn't afford both car and trip so chose trip.

edit: should have bought it back then, lol http://tinyurl.com/d45rk42

Last edited by ronwest; 04-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #63
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1978 XY GT for $5K
1982 XY phase 3 for $25K
1992 XC cobra 351 for $9K
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #64
AshPeters88
Starter Motor

About ten years ago I could've had a midnight blue XR Fairmont with a 351 Clevo, top loader and nine inch rolling on centrelines for $1500. My old man convinced me not to and I've regretted it ever since, even he now says it was a dumb idea not to buy it!
AshPeters88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #65
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in 2000 i sold my HQ with 350 chev and full HZ prem body for $3000, that thing was a weapon and was full granny spec trim, sold it as i wanted a newer V8 so i bought an EB for $6000, it was much slower and had no street apeal.
and back in 1998 i was offered a HQ LS coupe for $800 but only had $600 to spend....i still kick myself but not as bad as my dad selling his phase 2 in 1980 because my mum didn't like driving it.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #66
anto
Za Dom spremni

more recently, around 2005 I had the chance to buy a factory onyx black/white trim XBGT coupe for 15k, the thing was restored with new trim, new paint new everything...and came with so much extra gear it would have paid for the car by itself ,It had been sitting there for 5 years minus engine being fitted un completed with the same owner for the past 25 years.
Of course I um'd and ah'd about it and a week later had a second look and decided yep I'll take it. This time the guy's missues is sitting there and blurts out why dont we keep it...on the way home the guy rings me and says he cant do it..

cant believe I didnt pull the trigger on first sight, my dream car
thats my "worst" one but like most others there were plenty of others too like being offered a wild violet rpo for 4 ish grand by a mate..had a blown diff and other mechanical issues which at the time put me off.

Also was chasing a pepper red XAGT coupe that lived close by. An old guy had it in a rickety old shed..left my number with him as he didn't want to sell. When he called me eventually a few years later offering it for 6k I had no cash then a year or so later stopped int his place and he was moving all his stuff out when I asked him about the car,...he said he sold it the week before to someone in Sydney !! just my luck

the lesson here for all the kids is

snoozers are losers !!!!!!!!!!
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #67
robbyj
Rob

Dad was going to put his TC corty on blocks incase he had a son one day who wanted an old car. Fair to say im spewing!

Mum also had a rotary capella that was stored for ages before eventually selling, again! spewing.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #68
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before the boom in the popularity of rotaries outside a small core group of hard nosed enthusiasts, rotaries use to be fairly cheap. I remember an RX5 (based on the 929 coupe) for about a grand with a rebuilt motor sitting in a car lot back in the mid eighties...and it was purple!

I did see a little R100 (the first little coupe based on the 808) sitting in the wreckers in perfect condition apart from being without an engine or box for $500. I was 17, and had a rusty 1971 Mazda Capella, and was seriously considering buying it and swapping the worked 1.9 liter piston engine and four speed out of my Capella into it, but while I faffed around trying to find out if it was an easy swap, someone else bought it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #69
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I remember an RX5 (based on the 929 coupe) for about a grand with a rebuilt motor sitting in a car lot back in the mid eighties...and it was purple!
it was probably just a typo but
the rx5 was based on the 121
the rx4 was based on the 929
the rx3 was based on the 808 from memory
the rx2 was based on the capella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWmHLbUyY0k
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #70
music189
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

started my apprenticeship in 76 had a lot of Benzs and Bmw's etc and sold used cars, working for my old Man and his partners

had a lot of pagdoa roof SL benz's could have been bought 230,250,280 SL for around $10000
many of the old humpy amd finny benz's
When I got closer to 17 years old,a customer wanted to sell his sons Falcon as he lost his licence,drove it in and left it in the yard for couple of months @ $4000 dont know what happened to it but I can remember thinking it would use to much fuel and I was only 2nd year and a tight ****, yeap it was a cherry red genuine XY Gt HO phase 3
Missed a
LC GTR
yellow HQ 202 manual with the sports wheels and houndstooth interior
4 door Alfa Giulia did a lot of "L" plate driving in this one
in laws XC Fairmont 302 auto coupe
Porshe 911 1972 $11000
XY Fairmont wagon mint condition
Purple GS XA? with white interior
HQ LS 308 auto 2 door Monaro Green with a Tan vinyl roof
heaps Datto 1600's and 1200's
Datto 240 Zs
300 SEL 6.3 and 3.5 several of those
EH prem, that light green with tan leather interior 1 owner mint
could have got a Lambo Espada if I had the money in 1980 it was cheap but way to much for me
music189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #71
69XWGT

Brambles Red XWGTHO.
Matching numbers, original paint in near perfect condition, one owner, faultless interior and low original miles. Still had the original spare

It was on consignment on Brisbanes northside years ago (i think around 1993) and they were looking for around 20 grand.
I walked in and after 2 minutes with this absolute cranker of a salesman i walked out.
Even had a grand in my pocket for the deposit.

Anyway a bloke i know bought it for the same money.

The car was sold not that long ago for what i believe was well over 300 grand

As much as it ****ed me off not getting it, in the long run i'm glad because i split up with my missus and i wouldn't have been able to afford to keep my XWGT, my business, the boat and buy my house from her if i had bought it.
69XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #72
groupcboost

in 2001 when i first got my L's i saved and saved was about to by a xb coupe that was really nice no rust at all 351 4 speed for only $6000 and my dad went off at me that the car was to old and i wont need to be working on it all the time all i could say was i know thats why i want it but did not happen.........
Old 08-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #73
Brians

1967, My Brother in laws mate, had two Blackshadow 1200CC series C 1956 Vincents for sale.
One registered, the other missing the wheels, but totally complete,
$250-00, for both, I was an apprentice at the time, so money was very short,
I gave him $200-00 in cash and said I would give him the other $50-00 in six weeks and he could hold the bikes till I had the extra cash,

He passed on the deal and I missed out, Been kicking myself ever since, I saw him about 10 years later, and he said to me, You would still have them if I sold them to you, I said yes, If I didnt kill myself on one of them,

I bought a brand new 1968 Triumph 650 Bonnieville instead, And rode it for 17 years,

The other one I missed out on was a late 1940's straight 8 Packard, 4 door slopy in immaculate condition, for $200-00, I passed on that one as I was into bikes big time, and would not be seen dead in a car at that time,,
Brians is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #74
CMGLX
Irregular Member

2003 looking for a Valiant CM Regal got offered this dark metallic brown Landau, had a about 150k on it leather was tired but still presentable and an arrow straight body all for 2000 of my hard earned dollars!! What does this retard here do? Nah i want a column shift val! what a nob i am! Ended up with a VF Val 318 floor shift with no straight panels for $3500!
Shoot me now
CMGLX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #75
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A nice clean mullbery XB 500 on ebay last week.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #76
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
The year was 90 and the dealer I worked at traded a landau, I had the option to buy it at the same price a wholesaler had offers $1,800 and I passed. It went to the wholesaler and a month later my cousin fronted up at a family function in it :( he changed cars like I change undies so I asked him to come to me when he grew tired of it

Well it's 2013 and he still owns it :(

Eeeeewwwwwww..................

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #77
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

In the past, I've kicked myself way too many times for missing out, so now I tend to impulse buy, reasoning that I'll just sell it later, if I change my mind. (problem is, I rarely do.)

How does that old saying go?..........
something something times in life - NOW, and TOO LATE.

Good rule to live by I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
XF's used to be extremely common, and now they're starting to disappear, which means the ones that are very good or have special options and trim will be worth money on years to come...possibly not a lot of money, but if you can pick up a nice S Pack or something with good options for under a grand, it will be worth more in the future.
How about my S-pac Wags?........

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it

Last edited by SPArKy_Dave; 11-02-2013 at 08:07 AM.
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post