Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ford confirms FPV brand will stay around, for now

Has anyone seen just how few I-6 Turbos are actually sold these days?
I think it would make scary viewing and I'm beginning to wonder whether the effort
to build them is not worth the return anymore, it may be cheaper/easier for Ford to
source and build their own NA 5.0 V8s on the existing mini line to replace the I-6

In fact,
I recon Ford should replace the I-6 with a short stroke 4.0 litre version of the 5.0 V8,
changing Falcon's image by giving it 250 Kw and 430 nm on a corporate engine design.
By making the basic version of Falcon Ecoboost, Ford can continue sub $40K product
whilst all the 4.0 V8s become +$40,000 sales because the 4.0 becomes more desirable to own...
G8, G8E XR8 with 4.0 & 5.0 V8s all sitting where they should while GS and GT remain unchanged.

It may sound insanely stupid but now that the Falcon no longer serves as a mostly fleet vehicle,
perhaps it's time to offer options that both attract and differentiate Falcon for mid sized alternatives.

Last edited by jpd80; 10-02-2013 at 09:36 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #32
rdmr

I-6Ts still make up a sizeable portion of the daily build. They are a halo model/engine and are a source of pride within the plant. Dropping it would be a great mistake. There is still a market for them so we should cater for it.
If anything it is the body of the XR6T that should change to make it more distinct/desirable from the everyday XR6.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #33
Orangejuicepony

While I glad they are keeping the name and brand, they need to stop the models feeling like a taxi from 15 years ago when you sit in them. Because the market isn't warming to the them they'll never invest $1 billion dollars to build an all new RWD car like Holden did so this out of date feeling you get when you sit in the all too familiar cabin will continue, as will the public's shun for cheaper imported fresher models.

I know lots of middle aged family men and women who when they have $70-$80k to spend on a new family car would prefer a TDV8 cruiser (or some derivative thereof) then an HSV or FPV, its just what people want. Sad, but it's no the 70s anymore.

Ford and FPV should put the money in a Territory and Ranger lineup with shared engines and transmissions and just import a comparable sedan/wagon for the Government and Fleets.
Orangejuicepony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #34
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

many of you are saying rename the GS to the XR8 and drop the price. the reason the GS is so expensive is the engine used is a highly developed supercharged V8 ( a detuned GT engine) not because they are saying "it's an FPV lets rip them off" . these are a far cry from the 5.4 boss that was in the XR8 they cost a lot more to build so command a higher price.
I often read the comparison to the SS pricing but bear this in mind, the SS has a NA pushrod tractor engine not a supercharged quad cam multivalve high tech engine

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #35
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

430nm of torque?? My mower puts out more than that!!! Not really.. :>)

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Has anyone seen just how few I-6 Turbos are actually sold these days?
I think it would make scary viewing and I'm beginning to wonder whether the effort
to build them is not worth the return anymore, it may be cheaper/easier for Ford to
source and build their own NA 5.0 V8s on the existing mini line to replace the I-6

In fact,
I recon Ford should replace the I-6 with a short stroke 4.0 litre version of the 5.0 V8,
changing Falcon's image by giving it 250 Kw and 430 nm on a corporate engine design.
By making the basic version of Falcon Ecoboost, Ford can continue sub $40K product
whilst all the 4.0 V8s become +$40,000 sales because the 4.0 becomes more desirable to own...
G8, G8E XR8 with 4.0 & 5.0 V8s all sitting where they should while GS and GT remain unchanged.

It may sound insanely stupid but now that the Falcon no longer serves as a mostly fleet vehicle,
perhaps it's time to offer options that both attract and differentiate Falcon for mid sized alternatives.
You're right. It does sound insanely stupid.

What other mid sized car offers a turbocharged inline six? BMW 335i? Why replace it with an engine that performs worse, sounds worse, and doesn't differentiate itself from the hordes of V8s out there? It will cost a heap of money to re-engineer the car, therefore increasing the price of the end product (to not much less than the GS currently is, for a much worse performing car). I just can't see sales increasing at all.

There is a small subset of people who just have to have a V8, even if the turbo I6 is better, but these are mainly older people who would be more likely to own an XB or similar. There is the supercharged GS which actually delivers some decent performance. Most people (especially younger people who went through P plate restrictions) don't feel this way at all, and would be much more inclined to go for the quicker, torquier, more easily tunable inline six, which would be able to deliver much better times for a smaller outlay. Just look at FG XR6 turbo vs. FG XR8 sales up to the point when the XR8 was dropped. The sales of this new 4.0 XR8 replacement would be even worse.

You know, just because Holden does something, doesn't mean Ford has to copy it exactly.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post