Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-12-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default My Airbox Modification

hey all,
a few days ago i did the air box modification from the aufalcon.com website.
i already had the tickford snorkel and the K&N but i did the mod proerly with the PVC piping.
i took the whole box out, drilled the hole with a 50mm holesaw and put in some 50mm communication conjuit that was left over from work. i spayed they whole thing matt black so the piggies can't detect it and i basically think it is just a great modification..
here are some pics so tell us what you guys think??

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

i found when i did that to my car, with a bigger pipe, power went up, but economy went down. So now im making a new box with only 1 entry point.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but you have to expect sometimes when you want more power, economy wont be the greatest..

but i dont understand how economy can be altered by the engine receiving more air?? does anybody know??

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Old 18-12-2005, 10:38 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yeah how can that affect the economy??.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

at higher speeds, ram air from the grille escaping out the hole? . i had to tape up the hole i made as it was a noticeable amount.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 12:17 AM   #6
buickman
buickman

I have a simular mod to the air box as well as a 3" mandrel intake & have noticed only more intake noise but no difference in fuel economy only if i hammer the peddle more does fuel economy goes up & I do a trip to Lake Entrance from Melb nearly once a month a distance of 358km

Last edited by buickman; 19-12-2005 at 12:24 AM.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 12:27 AM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Yeah how can that affect the economy??.
more go = more foot to floor = less econ.
Old 19-12-2005, 12:33 AM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

what is this "fuel economy" you speak of and where can I get some? :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 03:05 AM   #9
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

If anyone needs/wants black PVC bits I'll make some at work.
Have done a few 90mm screens in black. They have a mesh screen moulded into them. Not sure how much it'll affect air flow but plenty of air goes through them with an air hose & 1m of 90mm pipe.
Have all kinds of odd bits to. Will try mine with a 90x75mm reducer so I only have to drill a 75mm hole but capture 90mm of air (in theory). Also have 75mm caps so i can block it off if desired..
Old 19-12-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow funny this thread poped up cause i was just speaking to Casper about wanting to do this mod to my car! Whats everyones verdict on it!! I'm very paranoid when it comes to modyfing my car. lol..
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 07:02 PM   #11
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Would this mod be something you should tell your insurance company about? I've actually got a Tickford intake and a K&N sitting in the garage, but I've procrastinated about changing the intake for that reason.

It seems to me that any performance gain, in the absence of something like a bigger cam, would probably be pretty minor, and certainly not worth screwing your insurance over.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #12
hambo_12

Ive been thinking about doing it for a long time, just been to lazy to get around to it.

To me, a more important thing to note is that there is no benifit in putting the extra air intake in if your not modifying the opening where the box meets the pipe going towards the engine, as its a real bottleneck. You can have as much air coming in, but that will always stop it....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 08:52 PM   #13
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Would this mod be something you should tell your insurance company about? I've actually got a Tickford intake and a K&N sitting in the garage, but I've procrastinated about changing the intake for that reason.

It seems to me that any performance gain, in the absence of something like a bigger cam, would probably be pretty minor, and certainly not worth screwing your insurance over.
It certainy wouldnt hurt to make a call and advise them after any mod. Most of the time they will just note it down with no change to the premium.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 08:54 PM   #14
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Ive been thinking about doing it for a long time, just been to lazy to get around to it.

To me, a more important thing to note is that there is no benifit in putting the extra air intake in if your not modifying the opening where the box meets the pipe going towards the engine, as its a real bottleneck. You can have as much air coming in, but that will always stop it....
Spot on. Grab an EF airbox lid and get some bent 3" exhaust pipe. That will free a major bottle neck...
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #15
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
more go = more foot to floor = less econ.
hahahahaha, very true mate, i never thought of it that way before, so what do you guys think about my modification, good job or not?

Old 20-12-2005, 12:07 AM   #16
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

the thing i dont like is the 3 90* bends it has to take just to get there

So i moded my intake something more then normal
It has a better sound and more responce and by the seat of the
pants it is better
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #17
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How did you invert the throtal body trick xd?
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #18
flathead 276

Looking at manifold diagrams, acquired with much to-ing & fro-ing from tech resources on forum. It would appear the manifold top is reversible, same as V8 5.0 litre manifold top. Have seen posted pictures, of mod, inlet tract looks OK, unsure about throttle cable. I have the EL-BA airbox mods posted by Falkeen & AU XR6-1, works for me & " John Law" & insurance company wouldn't know the difference.
flathead 276 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 08:46 PM   #19
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BABOON AU, the airbox mod looks good man!! Nice and neat! Have noticed and improvement or any downsides to the mod!!???
Old 20-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #20
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
but you have to expect sometimes when you want more power, economy wont be the greatest..

but i dont understand how economy can be altered by the engine receiving more air?? does anybody know??
By putting more air into the cylinder you have to put more fuel in to burn the extra air to maintain correct air/fuel ratio.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #21
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
BABOON AU, the airbox mod looks good man!! Nice and neat! Have noticed and improvement or any downsides to the mod!!???
yeah i think i have noticed a bit more of an acceleration increase, especially now that today i got my extractors fitted!!!! it was my christmas present i bought myself.. hehehe

Old 20-12-2005, 11:55 PM   #22
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool mate great to hear!!! Wow i should really re-read my posts after i put them up. Its amazing that anyone can understand what i wrote, lol....
Old 21-12-2005, 12:06 AM   #23
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
Cool mate great to hear!!! Wow i should really re-read my posts after i put them up. Its amazing that anyone can understand what i wrote, lol....
hahaha, yeah sometimes i wonder, "why the hell did i write that??"

Old 21-12-2005, 12:14 AM   #24
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I do a trip to Lake Entrance from Melb nearly once a month a distance of 358km
What do you do up in lakes? I live in bairnsdale, the major town just before lakes (about 30kms)...

-Michael

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 01:44 AM   #25
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNicko
How did you invert the throtal body trick xd?

all i did was cut it out with a hacksaw down the sides and a grinda at the bottom . turned it over and bolted it back up .. Then i cut a accl cable from another car and (for the moment i have just joined them together with wire locks untill repco get my new cable in) .. then lifted it up and made a plate to take up the extra hight i just made .
the first 1 i did i stuffed it as the angle was wrong and the hose would not fit in under the bonnet so i cut it up again and made the throtal body a bit more flater ... it worked great.. then all i had to do was extend the wires for the t.p.s. ... All up a very easy job to do and my intake temp is down 11degs and that was run the same day on the same road about 30min apart and then i did it with my other car at the same time and there was a 13deg diffrence BUT 1 was a EL the other was a stock EF
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #26
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet as mate, good work

Could you post up some more pics?
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 09:19 PM   #27
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryzak260
What do you do up in lakes? I live in bairnsdale, the major town just before lakes (about 30kms)...

-Michael
My parents retired there years ago & as they are elderly & don't like going further than Bairnsdale. I make the best to try & see them as much as possible.

I regulary get 650+ kms out of the VCT mtr doing the trip. The best around Melb is about the 440Kms out of the tank on Optimax with the mod to the air box
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 09:53 PM   #28
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But unfortunatley that airbox mod is no good for those of us with headlight covers!! sob, sob.....
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post