Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Dowlings answer to criticism.

Media are not the problem
By Joshua DowlingCarsguide08 January 2013EmailPrint+-

The big Australian cars are feeling a bit poorly.
It’s the sales – not the stories -- that are harming the Falcon and Commodore.
Cold hard numbers can be hard to stomach, especially when your favourite car brand is slipping down the charts. And there are no fans more dedicated than those from Holden and Ford (well, except maybe Toyota LandCruiser and Leyland P76 fanatics).
Related CoverageYour $42m splashed on Eco FalconLast lapFord leads charge to scrap green ratingLast FPV Falcon GT rolls off the lineFord Australia manufacturing not deadMore car news
I’ve been reporting the decline of the Commodore and Falcon for the past decade. Sadly, the news has been getting worse, not better. Buyers are walking away from our beloved homegrown sedans in record numbers.

It would be negligent not to report this, just as it would be negligent to not report changes in the Australian dollar or house prices. Information allows people to make informed decisions or brace for change.

Some readers blame the media for the decline in Commodore and Falcon sales, as if reporting bad news will only lead to more bad news. It’s flattering to think we have so much influence but the reality is we do not.

An example: in the late 1990s Hyundai was on page one of daily newspapers and on the TV news for a week because the front suspension on the Excel could collapse.

It went on to become the biggest selling small car for years and even knocked off the Holden Commodore and the top-seller across the nation for one month. If the media was so influential, sales of that little Hyundai would have tanked.

In the same era, the V6 Toyota Camry won almost every comparison test against the Commodore and Falcon of the day – and yet never got close to rivaling sales of the Holden and Ford. If the media was so influential, the V6 Camry would have been Australia’s top selling car more than a decade ago.

The motoring press reported on the controversially-styled and poorly equipped AU Falcon in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Did the public not buy the AU because of what the media wrote, or did the public notice what we noticed and draw their own conclusions? Ironically, Ford would love to be selling AU Falcon numbers today (50,000 or so compared to today’s 14,000). Perhaps Ford should bring the AU back?

When reporting the news, the media’s job is not to usher support or contempt for one brand over another -- but present the facts, as grim as they may be. In road tests we can offer opinion on how cars compare to what else is on sale. Cars are, after all, the second most expensive purchase after a house. Advice on what car we buy could save our lives, wallets and some heartache.

In the recent reporting of Holden’s and Ford’s record low 2012 results (worst result in 19 years for Holden and seventh straight year of decline for Ford – in an all-time record market, mind you) I’ve been accused of being biased against both brands. But Ford enthusiasts have come out swinging hardest. So I’d like to clarify a few things.

I grew up in a family obsessed with Falcons. As a kid I washed on the front lawn every Falcon from XC to XF. A green XC followed by a red XD (which stayed in the family after its life as a company car), a white XE (to blend in with the traffic better) and a yellow XF manual ‘S’ with limited slip diff (pre-dating the inspired XR6). When it got stolen, I cried. Okay, so I was only in my early teens. But I loved that car.

When I got my licence I had a string of Holdens, starting with an EK that was older than I was and constantly broke down.

In the past 10 years I’ve had a succession of Holden SS utes and a HSV Maloo. All but one had a series of serious quality flaws – but I kept buying them because quality leader Toyota doesn’t make a V8 rear-drive ute.

So I consider myself bipartisan when it comes to Holden and Ford. I tend to write more about Holden because they are more open to talking to the media about what they’re doing locally and overseas.

Dealing with Ford Australia is like dealing with a government agency. Ford Australia is doing amazing work – similar to or perhaps even more involved than Holden – for its overseas divisions. But Ford in Detroit has apparently put a muzzle on Ford Australia talking about it.

But I don’t stop trying to get Ford stories. I was so moved and saddened by the demise of Ford Performance Vehicles's manufacturing operations late last year I moved heaven and earth to get myself down there on the very last day, as they were shutting up shop.

In the end, I was the only journalist allowed in. I wanted the voice of the remaining 21 workers to be heard. How such an innovative company like FPV could be allowed to wither is a tragedy.

The FPV workers were choking up as they were telling me their stories. Most had been there for almost the entire life of the company (and its various iterations). Their emotions, in turn, made my eyes well up. I too began to choke up.

So to read the abuse online and be accused of some kind of bias against the car industry, Ford or Holden is particularly galling.

I believe we should be able to grow up in this country and design, engineer and build cars. But the harsh reality is, economic conditions (driven by the strong Australian dollar) are making it increasingly difficult to do so without significant taxpayer support. And I don’t think we’ve established accurate enough means of establishing how much is too much and how much is not enough government funding.

Don’t blame me for the record low sales of Holden Commodores and Ford Falcons. Blame your neighbour, your boss, the government (which, incidentally, also isn’t buying locally made cars in the same numbers it used to). They’re all buying imported cars that better suit their needs – at more affordable prices.

Finally, ask yourself this: when was the last time you bought a brand-new locally-made car? Against my better judgment, I’ve owned five in past 10 years. I’m doing my bit. Are you doing yours?

Twitter: @JoshuaDowling

2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Dowlings answer to criticism.

In no way am condoning Joshua Dowling actions, just expressing his voice on the matter. Flame suit on!
Old 24-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pre-Roast?
This user likes this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
buggo
[BU66OS]

I know the opinion of him is very low on this forum, and he has said some wtf things, but he does actually make a few good points. And I guess he his trying to show 'another side' of himself.
Wether or not he's genuine about what he is conveying or just crying us all a river I am not to sure.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 24-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Why dose this ******'s name come up so much on this forum, you're just given him more power.
Old 24-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Old news!
Old 24-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Never seen any bias in his stories, at the end of the day, he's allowed to have an opinion. It's not right or wrong, just an opinion.

As Leigh Matthews constantly says, "don't complain, don't explain".

Hers
BFII Ghia
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't matter the name on the heading of the news item...anyone who dares publish a story in any way skeptical of the future of Falcons (or Commodores come to that) is immediately charged with high treason and heresy, and should be burned at the stake.

Or: sometimes people just don't want to face the horrible truth and would prefer it wasn't allowed to be reported on...
4 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

hmm interesting article and obviously directed at users here.
I never had an opinion about his articles but this one I am tending to agree with him.

The following quote I think is self explanatory, as much as people love Ford here, they're PR is not as "friendly" as other makes. They don't have to divulge company secrets but when rumors come out or other stories that don't paint Ford in a positive light they can comment in a round about way, isn't that what PR is all about?

Quote:
So I consider myself bipartisan when it comes to Holden and Ford. I tend to write more about Holden because they are more open to talking to the media about what they’re doing locally and overseas.
I think this quote pretty much sums up everything nicely.

Quote:
Don’t blame me for the record low sales of Holden Commodores and Ford Falcons. Blame your neighbour, your boss, the government (which, incidentally, also isn’t buying locally made cars in the same numbers it used to). They’re all buying imported cars that better suit their needs – at more affordable prices.

Finally, ask yourself this: when was the last time you bought a brand-new locally-made car? Against my better judgment, I’ve owned five in past 10 years. I’m doing my bit. Are you doing yours?
I have to say well done Mr Dowling with your response to critics. Now over to you all
Old 24-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

The situation that the Falcon and Commodore are in is a function of:

* super high AU dollar compared to pre GFC
* massive competition
* market segmentation - so many types of cars to choose from
* lower tariff barriers

Today's Falcon and Commodore sales are arguably where they naturally lie. The locally produced cars should always be bought by Fed/State governments as opposed to sending dollars overseas. I presume the net result of buying a Cruze over a Corolla makes economic sense.

Dowling, however, is guilty of bashing the Commodore. How can a car which remains in the top 10 sellers be a flop which is basically what he is always trumpeting. I have no doubt he dreads reading the responses to his articles. And Im always in line to point out his hysterical and constant Falcon/Commodore bashing.
Old 24-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well whether you think these blokes doing the articles are in fact reporting facts and are in fact neutral, or................ continually opinionating when brand x will jump ship from our little island, you would have to say constantly speculating of their doom probably is`nt helping them.
how many doom articles on the our local car industry have we seen from journo`s in recent years? i`d say many, and some names seem to come up more often than others.
Old 24-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't mind him reporting the facts, but he also puts the boot in at every opportunity, bringing up their problems in anyway slightly relates to any story he might be doing.
Old 24-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
Rodge
Banned

Dorkings answer to criticism.

Can one of the mods please correct the spelling of this thread title, thanks
Old 24-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
BHDOGS
Banned

*** him
Old 24-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
ltd
Force Fed Fords

This response is in fact a comment he made on the original story - it's weeks old.

That said, he's a weapons grade ignoramus if he thinks his stories have no influence on the buying public. Just like the twits in the media that had a hard-on for everything Qantas did, Dowling and Gover are guilty of defamation by the fact that on no less than 20 articles a piece, they have written about the demise of the falcon and the commodore and how Ford and Holden will be closing their plants. This does not inspire confidence in the market place, and potential customers avoid a brand they believe will no longer be in Australia; think back when Proton and their dealer network disappeared.

Just simply writing an excuse for such slanderous articles based entirely on supposition alone after the fact does not mitigate what these two lazy, cretinous journalists have done and the irreparable damage to the local manufacturers.
Sorry, but I've read some incredibly pathetic defences in the past for reprehensible behaviour, and JD's latest brain-fart of a "who me?" takes the cake.

Quote: