Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Territory 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02 View Post
petrol version is quicker, more responsive. Uses a bit more fuel, but this can easily be kept under control. I don't prefer the lethargic response & strangled feel of a diesel. Bit of a 1-trick pony really. Diesel is appealing in a way, but the petrol has more responsive/better performance all round. You can't deny, fuel economy aside, the diesel isn't really better at anything. It hardly produces more torque than the I6, and the power/torque band on the I6 is wider. If you can deal with a slightly higher fuel bill, the petrol is the better drive.

Not everyone will agree, of course, but just remember, fuel economy isn't everything.
The diesel is actually more refined then the petrol model and does produce 49Nm more torque, the important bit being it produces peak at 1900rpm vs the petrols 3250. Having gone from a G6ET to the diesel I know a bit about the performance drop, lol, but in normal everyday, suburban/crawl driving it isn't lost and compared to the n/a I6 is smoother. Economy isn't everything, granted, however most buyers choose economomy over performance and Ford needs to sell more to the bigger buyer demographic. I actually also think once buyers get over the higher purchase price quickly, it's meeting the monthly repayments that takes over for the following 3+ years and you don't really remember that one type of fueled terry is $X more per month over the other. The only real issue you face constantly is that your range reading is showing 800km+ and that's only a positive. The great thing is we have a choice, my only wish is that the 3.0 V6 tdi is dropped in while my fantasy would be the new RR V8 Tdi, nirvana on wheels.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post