Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Band of Brothers Tour 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
It's my understanding (right or wrong) that the Americans built over 2,700 "Victory Ships" in an effort to overwhelm the Germans by sheer numbers; i.e. the Americans could build these ships faster than they could be destroyed. I would not call this a effort a failure.
Liberty ships?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #32
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
It's my understanding (right or wrong) that the Americans built over 2,700 "Victory Ships" in an effort to overwhelm the Germans by sheer numbers; i.e. the Americans could build these ships faster than they could be destroyed. I would not call this a effort a failure.
You mean Liberty Ships? The first Liberty Ship was commissioned in August 1941, a year after the Battle of Britain and the Battle of the Atlantic which are the events I am referring to. There’s a reason the Germans referred to this period as “the happy time” because this was when they scored the most kills.

I don’t think anyone is saying that the US role in the war was a token effort? Far from it…my point is that the greatest threat to Britain was in 1940 against a German invasion and they could have defended against it, with or without US help. After the US entered the war it obviously became a non-issue.

Just on the subject on Japan invading Australia, apparently there was bitter infighting amongst the Japanese military rulers about whether it should be done or not. The Navy wanted to mount an invasion attempt of Australia, but the Army said no, because they would have had to have pulled the required troops for the operation (30 divisions) from Manchuria and left their north-western flank open to the Soviets (who they had already had a clash with in 1938).

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #33
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
This certainly does not take away their bravery, guts & dedication against hopeless odds and they are all heroes as far as I'm concerned
Perhaps, but it bothers me somewhat that we revere the Anzacs so much when in fact it was our WW2 soldiers who were *defending* the country.

IMO, they don't get nearly the level of recognition they deserve, it seems almost entirely a WW1-centred day.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #34
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Perhaps, but it bothers me somewhat that we revere the Anzacs so much when in fact it was our WW2 soldiers who were *defending* the country.

IMO, they don't get nearly the level of recognition they deserve, it seems almost entirely a WW1-centred day.
I agree with you
The Australians that served in North Africa in WW2 were amongst the best fighting men Australia ever had

Even General Romel had a very high regard for their tenacity

I think that the focus tents to be on Galipoly probably because it was the first war we fought as a nation and that it really was a senseless waste of life

All wars are but if you read up on how the British commanders ( who had controll over our troops ) sent them out into no mans land knowing full well they would all be cut down you may understand why Galipoly strikes a bit of a nerve
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #35
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Further, it wasn't just the men and the infantry that the USA provided, it was a whole nation mobilised in the support of the war effort with hardware such as B17's, C47's, Spitfires, tanks, shells, artillery etc.
the yanks had Spitfires, but did not make them.

Quote:
planes were either spitfires or kitty hawks in limited supply
raaf had mosquitoes, beaufighters, beauforts, the boomerang, mustangs, b24 liberators, lockheed hudsons, b25 mitchell bombers and catalina flying boats. A total of 656 spitfires (mk8) & 841 kittyhawks

Quote:
It's all speculation now but some historians believe the japs could have got as far south as NSW
if the queensland line is the myth some historians would have you believe, there wouldn't be tank traps on the nsw side of the river at Tenterfield, and mustard gas would not have been pre-deployed in 4 gallon drums for aircraft drops for domestic defence in nsw border areas.

I dont think that the war could have been won without the help of the yanks, esp the manufacturing capacity. Most issue is with the (seemingly) yank attitude that they were in fact the only country involved in the war, esp in the pacific.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #36
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
the yanks had Spitfires, but did not make them.

raaf had mosquitoes, beaufighters, beauforts, the boomerang, mustangs, b24 liberators, lockheed hudsons, b25 mitchell bombers and catalina flying boats. A total of 656 spitfires (mk8) & 841 kittyhawks

if the queensland line is the myth some historians would have you believe, there wouldn't be tank traps on the nsw side of the river at Tenterfield, and mustard gas would not have been pre-deployed in 4 gallon drums for aircraft drops for domestic defence in nsw border areas.

I dont think that the war could have been won without the help of the yanks, esp the manufacturing capacity. Most issue is with the (seemingly) yank attitude that they were in fact the only country involved in the war, esp in the pacific.
Yes I know the spitfire was produced by supermarine in England and designed by
Reg Mitchell

It would be interesting to see where the aircraft were deployed and how many we're for home defence
Some of the aircraft you have listed were pretty much obsolete within a few years of the war breaking out
The boomerang and Hudson are 2 and the P51 D was only available in 1944

I agree with you comments about the yanks being loud and brash but its guys like dick winters that really have my respect
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: