Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Exclamation 2012 - annus horribilis for Australian made cars

Early in the new year the uniformed media will be preaching to the masses how good 2012 was with another 1 million plus new vehicles sold. What will be missed is the new lows the Australian made cars have reached.

Ford will sell lesss then 20,000 Falcon sedans which is a new all time low in the 52 year history of the model. The Commodore will just break 30,000 sales for the year which is the lowest for this model since the name was released in 1978. In the Kingswood name never sold so few in a calendar year. I suspect the last time Holden so few of their main model was back in the 1950s. Toyota is have to resort to incentives like 0% financing to entice buyers to their Camry/Aurion models.

The question is will 2013 see a recovery for these three? Only Holden has something significantly new in the pipeline for next year but this is not due until the 2nd half of the year. Ford and Toyota have nothing big planned so will continue to battle with the same models.

I hope for the sake of all people employed by these three companies and their suppliers that the trend in sales of Australian made cars is reversed in 2013. I used to be one of these people.

Old 28-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
rdmr

Default Re: 2012 - annus horribilis for Australian made cars

So times are tuff, we know that. And they have been for a while. Aussie makers downbalance and cheap imports get cheaper.
But you know what, we're still here and still manufacturing.
And we still will be this time next year.
Old 28-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

What do you mean low aussie sales numbers will be missed, i'm sure it will be shouted from the rooftops by the media baying for the automotive manufacturing industries blood.

Just wait for the articles to start questioning government funding to start around the first week of January after the years sales figures are released.

There's no way the media will miss an opportunity to sink the boots in.
Old 28-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Shhh! Those with rose coloured glasses - the usual suspects - will insist that Falcon sales are fine and the car will be here (via taxpayers dollars of course) in 20 years time...
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

after seeing all the toyota ads with zero % or 1.9% i've wondered why ford or holden dont do this.
it might just increase sales?

blimey if they had GTs on zero finance id prop be able to talk the misses into one!
Old 28-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Don't know if the Falcons or Commodore sales will recover but what I do know is that sales has increased with other models from these manufactures..... so no hard times for the dealers.
Old 28-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's pretty hard to see the bigger cars getting a big jump in sales until the cost of living goes down in a big way, or until a patriotic urge comes over the nation and they start buying Australian products, with little or no incentive from govco on either counts , it's hard to see that happening.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't things are gonna get any better for locals, anybody in the market for a family-sized car will go straight for the new Mazda 6, and who could blame them. The thing has only been out for a few weeks and I am already seeing dozens around. It's the same price if not cheaper than the Commodore and the Falcon, looks better and newer, is better built and has much more gadgetry.
Old 28-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
I don't things are gonna get any better for locals, anybody in the market for a family-sized car will go straight for the new Mazda 6, and who could blame them. The thing has only been out for a few weeks and I am already seeing dozens around. It's the same price if not cheaper than the Commodore and the Falcon, looks better and newer, is better built and has much more gadgetry.
And unfortunate truth. The FU Falcon can't come soon enough.
Old 28-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
EVLKNEVL

"Oh great, another Ford bashing thread." ...is what a sooky attention seeker would say at this point.

Wait for it..
Old 28-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
nstg8a

Nobody is saying current sales are fine, obviously all three would like to be selling more than they currently are.

Good to see the usual suspects lining up to sink their boots in though. Honestly the amount of anti falcon/territory sentiment in this forum is insane.

Those questioning why ford or holden dont do low finance should do their homework. It was only a week or two ago that jpegs were posted showing the current rates. Ironically through Toyota finance.

Don't forget ford doesn't have the luxury of its own finance company, so it can only do so much.
Old 28-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the goverment is serious about keeping the local car industry alive they need to tax all cars the get imported into the country. Eg. Make a new mazda 3 or new I 30 cost more then the locally built cars. And they can use some of the revenue raised to help our local built cars keep up with global technoglies and standards. Then they could also look at exporting once they reach global standards. Thats just my 10 cents worth
Old 28-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69 View Post
Shhh! Those with rose coloured glasses - the usual suspects - will insist that Falcon sales are fine and the car will be here (via taxpayers dollars of course) in 20 years time...
Can you tell us what you will be doing 20 yr's from now ?

No!!!! so why should anyone else let alone a major manufacturering company.

I see it's another slow new's day on AFF,
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Good to see the usual suspects lining up to sink their boots in though. Honestly the amount of anti falcon/territory sentiment in this forum is insane.
That didn't take long
Old 28-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
people rushing to a Mazda do you really think that? i`m getting into old fart territory, but it will be a cold day in hell before i rush in to get a bland cardigan wearers special shopping car.
Old 28-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69 View Post
OH! You mean the Ford enthusiasts who happen to venture onto a Ford Enthusiasts site so they can talk about the Australian built Fords (& imported) which they choose to buy, and in the case of many ..... have bought this year, last year, and 30 years previously!

Really absolutely sick of those who just love sinking their boots into those who try and talk about the positives but get told by a few (you included) that the negative is the only way to talk about Fords in general. Its always the same ones, most times I just shut up and let things continue.

There are some negative stories, there are also plenty of positives ....... can discuss both but this stupid bloody Rose coloured glasses clap trap is getting up mine and everyone else's goat. There are positives to be found in most negatives and if I or anyone else want to point these positives out ...... stiff ****

The usual suspects? Those who are here because they enjoy what they buy??? Really???

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread