Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
stevz
Banned

Default Just when I thought I'd seen it all.....

First it was the woman reading a book whilst driving, and now this......

http://www.news.com.au/national/poli...-1226543396588

Quote:
Police identify rogue P-plater after he was snapped with both feet hanging out the window enraging motorists

POLICE have given a rogue P-plater photographed hurtling down a Melbourne freeway with both legs outside the driver's window a day to turn himself in.

Shocked motorists snapped the “ludicrous” Volkswagen golf driver literally putting his feet up as he cruised down the Eastern Freeway, near the Blackburn Rd off-ramp about 7am on Christmas Eve.

Inspector Bernie Rankin from the Major Collision Investigation Unit said police knew who the owner of the car was and would be hunting him down if he didn’t front a police station today.

“This young man, his behaviour without any further examination is conduct endangering life – that’s a very serious criminal charge,” Insp Rankin said.

“You might be thinking its funny or it might be a joke, or you might be showing off in front of your friends, but at the end of the day if you hurt someone or if someone sees what your doing - of course records it and, of course with mobile phones, cameras people are sending this sort of stuff into us all the time - so just remember that.”

Motorist Stewart (last name withheld) from Heathmont photographed the driver of the black Volkswagen speeding down the Eastern Fwy on Monday morning.

“I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I thought: if his right foot’s outside the window, how is he accelerating? Then I saw both feet out of the window and I thought: bloody hell,” Stewart said.

He said he saw the driver travelling over the speed limit before he pulled up next to the packed car, when the driver pulled his feet in just before the EastLink tunnel.

“He looked very young. This guy’s a risk to my safety. I don’t want to share the road with people like that,” Stewart said.

Insp Rankin said police were expecting to interview the driver soon.

“The local police will be following this matter up, and what I’d encourage the driver of that vehicle to do - his vehicle and his images have already been on the media - I’d suggest he walk into his local police station and speak to us, because we’re certainly in the situation where we know who is in charge of the vehicle.

“We’ll certainly be knocking on his door if he doesn’t present himself today at some stage.”

The motorist’s legless driver isn’t the only example of reckless behaviour on Victoria’s roads this holiday season.

A woman was photographed reading a book while doing 100km/h on the Monash Freeway last week.

“This is a constant in your face reminder that there are people our there who just don’t listen and don’t really obey the law,” Insp Rankin said.

“We’re really horrified with the toll: five dead since Sunday. All of them…avoidable collisions and, really, if we don’t slow down and start doing the right thing this is going to be a horrendous Christmas-New Year period for us.

We’ve got to really get the message out there people have just got to slow down.”

Insp Rankin said the man “selfish behaviour” meant he would be unable to control his vehicle in case of an emergency.

“Assuming he was on cruise control – which is an assumption – he couldn’t brake, he couldn’t stop the vehicle; he’d even have difficulty turning the wheel, so absolutely ludicrous behaviour.”
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Just when I thought I'd seen it all.....

Lost for words, what a twat.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
05_ENFORCER

Most people just don't give a toss about anyone else on the roads these days.

Old 26-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Where does it prove that this was a P-Plater - motorist just identified them as young looking?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Looks to me like it could be the passengers legs. I know that even in a commadore I would not be able to get my legs past the stearing wheel whilst driving
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Unless he is dislocating certain bones, then Id say it was the passenger doing it.

Doesnt exclude it from being idiotic though.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Looks to me like it could be the passengers legs. I know that even in a commadore I would not be able to get my legs past the stearing wheel whilst driving
I doubt it. The passenger would have to be sitting on the centre console to get their legs out like that. Besides, even if it was the passenger's legs, it doesn't make the situation any more excuseable.
Old 26-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
Bent8
Long live the GT !

I wonder if the driver took this photo...

If so, shouldn't he get into trouble for taking his eyes off the road (traveling at 100kph) to take the pic?

I once had a police car do an illegal U-turn at a busy intersection and almost hit me in the process... they we're trying to catch up to another driver further down the road !!

Anyways, what this dude is doing is downright stupid.

As society goes down the chute, it's only going to get worse.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

I didn't excuse it but in a car that size u could have your legs like that especially if you we're trying to stir up other motorists
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
As society goes down the chute, it's only going to get worse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMsctjoyGzs

Extreme I know, but this is the sort of punishment I'd like to see handed out to idiots like this. It would definitely make them think twice before committing stupid and dangerous acts like this, unlike the slap on the wrist they would usually get.
Old 26-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Took these a while back .peak hour on the Kings way off ramp in Melb .
Muti tasking .on the phone and no feet

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the driver...as said above, a passenger would have to have their hips way over on his side of the car. You can also see he's got the drivers seat tilted way back.

Hey...some people think "cruise control" means you don't have to worry about anything but steering. I know about the urban legend of the "guy in the rented camper van going back to make a cup of coffee after hitting cruise control", but we all remember the "problems" with people in the USA whose cruise control had "jammed" and they sped on for miles without realising they could just turn off the ignition or stand on the brakes...some people just give up all control happily when they flick the switch.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #13
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Seems like a witch hunt to me... someone doing something stupid... driver of the other car should have just informed the police... plenty of other stuff going on the roads thats way worse - why doesnt the media highlight that... just stick a video camera on the F3, New England, or Hume for 1 hour and you'll have made Today-Tonight - The Movie

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The OP definitely shows the passengers legs IMO, unless the driver hasn't got the main body bit between the arms and legs. You can make out the passenger who is more in proportion with the legs sticking out.

But my concern is that the photo looks definitely taken by driver Stewart. Irresponsible taking his eyes off the road and hand off the wheel to take the photo. He should be fined as well, especially when driving next to a car he thinks is not in full control. In fact I believe the Golf driver probably has more control of his car than Stewart has of his.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
In fact I believe the Golf driver probably has more control of his car than Stewart has of his.
You've got to be joking right?
Old 26-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not even sure he has any hands on the steering wheel either.... if he has his waist twisted like that and the seat laid back, how can his left arm reach the wheel? His right arm is seen in the air.

Todays little gem i saw was an "L" plater with dad(?)...
The L plate was on top of boot so it was displayed properly for starters.
Each time said "L" plater took off it was foot flat to floor past the speed limit and then coasted back to 60. Did this at least 5 times.
Didnt indicate when exiting roundabout.. not to mention was going pretty fast around the roundabout on 3 occasions... body roll was pretty pronounced.
Then did the old brake heavy and indicate to pull over to change drivers...
As i went past the "L" plate on the front of car was sitting flat on dash!... so again not even displaying it correctly.
Well done to whoever was supervising him.... I can see this kid wiping himself out pretty quick.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
You've got to be joking right?
Well for one thing he looks like he is watching the road, unlike Stewart.

I am also assuming his left hand is on the wheel. Pretty stupid if he hasn't.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser View Post
Where does it prove that this was a P-Plater - motorist just identified them as young looking?
You don't think he may have taken more than one shot? One that includes the number plate and P plate, but doesn't look as good for a newspaper article?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed limits are way too low on modern freeways especially in modern vehicles and with modern road design and construction. The absolute focus on speed by the police and government will continue to lull people into thinking as long as they stick their cruise on the limit they will be perfectly safe.

Over the coming years behaviours like this will become more prevalent as people are simply bored driving well under the conditions and abilities and are brainwashed into thinking they are invincible if they stick to an arbitrary number painted on a metal sign.

We are using speed limits from 60 years ago - where radial tyres, drum brakes, no seat belts were the norm and driving licenses were given out at the local post office and roads were built not designed. Now the absolute ease at driving at those old limits means that the brain is basically not even needed (humans put in the minimum effort into completing a task - the evolutionary trait of energy conservation). Until limits become more appropriate, prepare for the continual growth of the bored and distracted driver.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #20
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

WOW! He made it just in time to enter the Darwin awards for 2012.

What an idiot!!

Last edited by Geez Louise; 26-12-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: My sarcasm went wild!
Geez Louise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I big thumbs down to the Ch9 news clowns who referred to this dumbarse as a "hoon", for some idiotic reason.

Has the term hoon become so broad that you can use it to describe anything now FFS
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #22
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Umm...yes I saw the passengers head...but unless they have legs six feet long, that isn't their legs. Look at where the knees are compared to the drivers head and seat back position, and you can easily see they're his legs. People will twist themselves around into some strange positions to feel "comfortable" in a car. The VL Commodore pics show something similar. Slide the seat all the way back, tilt the backrest, cruise on, and relax...the driving will most likely take care of itself...right...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #23
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It describes the photographer as motorist, not driver, and it looks like photo was taken from the passengers seat.
Old 27-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #24
mouse
Starter Motor

Some drivers just don't think about how quickly things can go wrong. If something did go wrong this driven would not have a chance to do anything about it. No thought about his passengers or other road users.
Looks like the pic is taken from the passengers side as it so close to the rego sticker or the drive has the arm stretched out.
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 02:35 AM   #25
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
Some drivers just don't think about how quickly things can go wrong. If something did go wrong this driven would not have a chance to do anything about it.
Well said.

Could you imagine the twisted mess this driver's body would've ended up in if they were involved in a collision? Not that I'd have any sympathy for him....but spare a thought for the emergency service personnel who would have to clean it up...
Old 27-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #26
Pougy23
Starter Motor

Makes you wonder how these people get off driving like this ??
Pougy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #27
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser View Post
Seems like a witch hunt to me... someone doing something stupid... driver of the other car should have just informed the police... plenty of other stuff going on the roads thats way worse - why doesnt the media highlight that... just stick a video camera on the F3, New England, or Hume for 1 hour and you'll have made Today-Tonight - The Movie
I reckon that is about as stupid as it gets - sorry
Old 27-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #28
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
Todays little gem i saw was an "L" plater with dad(?)...
The L plate was on top of boot so it was displayed properly for starters.
Each time said "L" plater took off it was foot flat to floor past the speed limit and then coasted back to 60. Did this at least 5 times.
Didnt indicate when exiting roundabout.. not to mention was going pretty fast around the roundabout on 3 occasions... body roll was pretty pronounced.
Then did the old brake heavy and indicate to pull over to change drivers...
As i went past the "L" plate on the front of car was sitting flat on dash!... so again not even displaying it correctly.
Well done to whoever was supervising him.... I can see this kid wiping himself out pretty quick.
This is always the problem with 'parents' teaching kids, they don't know how to control them, they let them do dumb ****, they are trying too hard to be the kids friend, not their role model. I see it all the time, I guess as a former driver trainer I tend to take more notice of how kids are being taught, even some of the driving schools aren't that flash, you know, lead by example stuff.
Old 27-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #29
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
First it was the woman reading a book whilst driving, and now this......

http://www.news.com.au/national/poli...-1226543396588
If you put your seat back far enough a driver could do this.

Shame he is still alive. He should have his licence taken from him at very least..
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #30
stevz
Banned

Well I heard on the news today that they've charged the driver, a 23 year old man from Richmond, with 4 offences - Conduct endangering life, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, careless driving and having limbs protruding from vehicle.