Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
cart
Starter Motor

Default Engine noise

When the engine is started for its first time for the day I get this loud
SOLID tapping noise,the noise is not constant, on start up it taps for maybe
5 secs,goes then comes back and goes i find usually taking the revs up to about 1100 rpm then to idle and back up again increases the noise level and speed due to the higher revs,then it will go and starting the car anytime after that there is no noise.
However there are times when i start the car first up in the morn and there is no noise at all???
I have noticed that at about 1100 to 1300 rpm in park i can hear what sounds like lifter noise,this is audible whether the start up noise is there or not, this is also noticable when i throttle off when driving at about 60klm p/h again in the range i get it at idle but with the car moving.
The engine is serviced regularly using Castrol Magnatec 10w/40 and has done 135000 klms, its a 4 ltr 6 cyl series 1
The start up noise has only been there since i had gas fiited i am pondering if there was a backfire when they where tuning it? Or it might be coincidence?
srry about long post.Any suggestions Thank you....

cart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
64compact

sounds like it is just a lifter noise, some times there is a noise from one of the shields for the gas that sounds like a lifter noise, if this is the case you will experance 2 different types of noises, Normaly a lifter noise is at 1/2 engine speed as the cam turns at 50% of Crank speed. if this is the case that it is a lifter some times a oil flush will fix the problem, if not locate the sticky lifter and replace it, cheers.
64compact is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post