Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #61
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden Offering MY12 SS Commodore for $40,990 Drive Away

it makes me laugh when people want performance cars then whinge about the fuel it uses,i bet alot of peoples alcohol consumpution is a lot more than there cars fuel consumption.if u cant afford to run u cant afford to own it
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #62
Nova 8

What sort of fuel consumption do all these people who buy ford get with the turbo's and S/C? In my experiance turbo cars are thirsty and although I've never owned a S/C car I cant imagine its much different, happy to be corrected.

There was one major deciding factor for me when buying my car: $$$$$$$$
If this deal was around when I got my car I would have settled with a SS. -if you could get the holden discount on it
Old 25-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #63
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8
What sort of fuel consumption do all these people who buy ford get with the turbo's and S/C? In my experiance turbo cars are thirsty and although I've never owned a S/C car I cant imagine its much different, happy to be corrected.

If this deal was around when I got my car I would have settled with a SS. -if you could get the holden discount on it
I fully agree with the $$$$$$$$$.
Thats why I bought an XR6 (non turbo) for about $10000 less than an SS
And it is only about 1 second slower 0-100km/h.
Hmmmmm........ 1 second vs $10000. gee I wish my pay rate was like that!
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #64
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with the turbo it is really up to how you drive ( far more than with a NA car) if you drive it normally and don't flog it they can return good consumption . floor it all the time and they drink it pretty quickly. in normal driving an F6 will get much better consumption than the 6.0L NA 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
As you rightly said, there's actually little to no stock to sell at those prices.

Ecoboost Falcon production is about 4/day or 48-50/mth - remembering Ford is on three day weeks until rebalance.
Actually we have been working 5 day weeks all this month (bar this weeks shutdown) and next month will be 9 day fortnights.

Looks like they have got stock levels down far enough and need a month or 2 to re-assess sales Vs stock levels before the re-balance just to see where we're at.

Territory sales are still strong but its the same old same old for Falcon and ute.

These deals Holden are putting out reek of desperation. They are copping it. Commodore is down 20% or something since last year and Cruze is down too. Just a matter of time before they need down days to clear stock.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #66
ray38l

who cares about fuel use when you have a v8. the stated fuel consumption is so easy to beat once you know how to drive the car.
the worst people are the ones that drive a Prado or new landcruiser and say they don't know how anyone could justify running a v8.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #67
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great comparison there you're comparing a current car with a 13 year old car . thats like saying this apple tastes nothing like a passionfruit. 10 years ago they had 220 Kw windsors ( only 40 shy of the 6.0 ) and I'm sure even these would do ok on a consumption comparison
Try stacking it up against a current XR6 turbo which has better performance from an engine 2/3 the size and see how consumption stacks up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
For those worrying about LS2 fuel consumption - I hired a MY12 Caprice this year, drove it like I stole it, and returned 17L/100klms. If i were in a Windsor with 100kw less I would have returned 25L+.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #68
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack
it makes me laugh when people want performance cars then whinge about the fuel it uses,i bet alot of peoples alcohol consumpution is a lot more than there cars fuel consumption.if u cant afford to run u cant afford to own it
While i see the point you are trying to make, is performance and fuel economy really mutually exclusive? Or rather, should it be mutually exclusive?

In this day and age, people are expecting (demanding) more, and some of the latest iterations by Ford are demonstrating that its possible to have performance and fuel economy combined. Many of the european brands have been providing much better fuel economy for their performance cars than Australian brands.

I guess what i'm saying is its no longer that black and white. With the advent of LiLPG, Direct Injection and architectures like EcoBoost and EcoLPI we can now expect more bang for our buck.
Old 27-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #69
RASER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
i believe the v8's are cheaper to bring in than to make the v6's for holden! So v8s should actually be cheaper than v6s!
This may well be the case, its cheaper to manufacture in USA and the material costs are lower with large volumes to boot.

Its the BEST mass production V8 on the planet, really really great donk, i wonder who really designed/engineered it for GM Inc?
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #70
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Actually we have been working 5 day weeks all this month (bar this weeks shutdown) and next month will be 9 day fortnights.

Looks like they have got stock levels down far enough and need a month or 2 to re-assess sales Vs stock levels before the re-balance just to see where we're at.

Territory sales are still strong but its the same old same old for Falcon and ute.

These deals Holden are putting out reek of desperation. They are copping it. Commodore is down 20% or something since last year and Cruze is down too. Just a matter of time before they need down days to clear stock.
bingo.. down days......

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226482927521
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #71
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Tough times for Holden, same as last years of VS, VY and Now VE, sales fall away
quite badly because buyers are over the old body and are hanging out for VF.
So this is an opportunity for swing buyers to look at Fresher FGII and maybe take a punt
or even look at a Territory, being out of sync with a competitor also has advantages...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #72
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Nice to know my crystal balls working a treat. Might have to fire it up for some lottery numbers
Old 28-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #73
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Nice to know my crystal balls working a treat. Might have to fire it up for some lottery numbers
What's your feeling on current Ford production, you just mentioned plants are back to five day week
to fill apparent short falls in stock/inventory but wondering about rebalance at 148/day,
is there any indication that figure might be a little low?
Old 28-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #74
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

Is it possible that this down balance may not actually occur?? Depending on what happens this month and the next.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #75
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
What's your feeling on current Ford production, you just mentioned plants are back to five day week
to fill apparent short falls in stock/inventory but wondering about rebalance at 148/day,
is there any indication that figure might be a little low?
Maybe a little low but they have no confidence in their product, and with zero advertising for Falcon they obviously don't expect any gains.

After what happened last Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb you'd expect numbers to be very low for those months. I guess if they need more builds they will have to run some overtime.
Old 28-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #76
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Is it possible that this down balance may not actually occur?? Depending on what happens this month and the next.
No chance. Applications for redundancy have opened and planning for the re-balance is pretty much done. Things have already been moved in my area.

If they need more numbers they will just use overtime.
Old 28-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #77
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iit's been quite a while since Ford did the last SR Territory value pack
maybe it's time
to push more I-6 RWDs loaded with great extras for that $39,990 price.