Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default rotors

when i bought my 2002 xr6 with 116000ks the ford dealer said the rotors had been machined due to vibrations under load the problem is still there braking down from 100kph should i replace the rotors or have them re machined thats if they were done in the first place thanks

david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: rotors

I would get new rotors
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lee
when i bought my 2002 xr6 with 116000ks the ford dealer said the rotors had been machined due to vibrations under load the problem is still there braking down from 100kph should i replace the rotors or have them re machined thats if they were done in the first place thanks
+1 for new rotors and pads.

There's a stack of debate and opinions on which combo's work best, but many here contend that a good combo would be either:

QFM Pads - One step above stock.
RDA Slotted rotors

QFM Pads - One step above stock.
DBA Sotted rotors

Stock and a little above normal driving situations will see the above recommendations serve you well.

There are many fans of either rotor (my choice is RDA) as I've had both and the QFM pads pull up well, with minimal dust and long life.

Others will advise you on different pad choices, often such recommendations are from members who drive on track days and such and their experience is valid, as I don't use either of my AUs on the track. Also, if you're opting for track work, you would probably go slotted and dimpled rotors instead of just slotted.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

+ What GK said

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 09-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

With an AUII/AUIII I wouldn't bother with slotted rotors - new normal ventilated units with good QFM pads will provide you with pretty good feel. I find that slotteds chew through the pads too quickly and dust up too much for the small (to none) benefit provided in regular driving. But yes I would very much recommend that you replace your rotors if they've already been machined once.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
ford_mytoy
Starter Motor

Get new rotors and pads. I have recently got my brakes changed and I am very happy with them. Braking is smooth even at high speeds and braking distance has significantly improved. I am using RDA Slotted Rotors and Bendix Heavy Duty Pads.

Paid $400 all up for the parts
ford_mytoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Another vote for QFM HPX pads and new rotors.

Depending on your driving style will be what rotor you choose to get.

i.e. Normal day to day driving in urban traffic and some highways, a standard rotor with better than stock pads is the go.

Spirited, urban, and hills driving I would recommend a slotted rotor with QFM HPX pads.

I went one up again, still went with a RDA/DBA slotted combination front and rear with QFM pads, but I also upgraded the front brake lines to braided for better brake feel and went to a higher quality brake fluid to avoid boiling.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Uncle_Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Another vote for QFM HPX pads and new rotors.

Depending on your driving style will be what rotor you choose to get.

i.e. Normal day to day driving in urban traffic and some highways, a standard rotor with better than stock pads is the go.

Spirited, urban, and hills driving I would recommend a slotted rotor with QFM HPX pads.

I went one up again, still went with a RDA/DBA slotted combination front and rear with QFM pads, but I also upgraded the front brake lines to braided for better brake feel and went to a higher quality brake fluid to avoid boiling.
Lurker....
UK
Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Lol. you love it UK.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon