Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 29-11-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
brakedasilence
Starter Motor

Default Clutch Problems??

Hey guys! this is my first thred here and wondering if you can help. Im 17 and just bought an ED XR6, 5 Speed in cobolt blue. so far its really good. i only have 1 complaint. my clutch. i dont know if my clutch is meant to be real heavy, its like pushing down on a brick. is that normal for one of these cars? is there any way to make the clutch feel more softer, maybe change the clutch cable?? Any feedback is welcome, thanking you in advance. Tim.

brakedasilence is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a good chance the clutch cable is stuffed.

Check the firewall where the clutch cable goes through because it is prone to tearing when this happens.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there's a good chance the cable is stuffed. It's a bit of a common problem, the cable cuts into the casing making it hard to move. Pull the cable out and slide it with your hand, it should move freely. If not, replace the cable.

Another problem could be a cracked pedal box or firewall, making the clutch go in on a slight angle.....although if that's happened you'll usually hear a clicking or cracking sound when you put the clutch in cause the broken metal will rub against itself.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
brakedasilence
Starter Motor

The cable coming out of the firewall does not move freely, its hard to move by hand... when i press the clutch, its squeeks though, but doesnt sound like its creeking or cracking ( sometimes its hard to distinguish a squeek from click ). thanks
brakedasilence is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 03:44 AM   #5
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

There's a good chance the clutch itself is stuffed.

My EA had the same problem, had to push the pedal right into the firewall, even then it didn't disengage properly (reverse always grinded). Replaced the clutch cable (half-melted from the extractors)- didn't do anything, decided to replace the clutch with a PBR Perf. clutch and realized the old clutch had two or three hotspots and half the arms were broken. Works nicely now.
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
EDXR
GRRRRRR

I had the same problem with mine.
Replaced the clutch and clutch cable and it lightened the pedal a fair bit.
The clutch in mine was completely stuffed and the pedal was very heavy when i first got the car.

ED XR6-polynesian green,factory 5 spd manual,factory electric sunroof,momo wheel,cruise control,custom plates.
EDXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 02:03 AM   #7
TuMor
its not a!

I had the same thing, welded up a new bracket on the firewall. Got a new cable and shes all shweet!

The clutch cables when at their best are still fairly heavy, you get that...have to live with it
(Form massive left calf muscles)

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 02:09 AM   #8
stiddy
Banned

my clutch in my AU was very heavy when i first got the car... and i left it for a year like this.. and then the clutch finally gave way, got it replaced with a heavy duty clutch and it was lighter than the stock one.. i also found out that the firewall was cracked along the peddal box...
easy way to tell.. get a hose and poor water on your windscreen infront of the drivers side.. if water leaks into the drivers floor when you press the clutch then you too have a cracked firewall or pedal box..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 02:12 AM   #9
TuMor
its not a!

I could see where my firewall collapsed and the cable had heaps of movement, welded a plate there..The cable then snapped because it was worn in such a way the when engaged it was strangling itself, to the point of major snappage

Charcoal Black
ohh yeeah
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
sam-efxr6

when i bought my eb xr6,ef gli and ef xr6 all had the same problem the cables were cracked replace the cable and it will fix the problem
sam-efxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 08:20 PM   #11
sven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs
There's a good chance the clutch itself is stuffed.

My EA had the same problem, had to push the pedal right into the firewall, even then it didn't disengage properly (reverse always grinded). Replaced the clutch cable (half-melted from the extractors)- didn't do anything, decided to replace the clutch with a PBR Perf. clutch and realized the old clutch had two or three hotspots and half the arms were broken. Works nicely now.

Yeah i had exactly the same problem with my ED. i just replaced the clutch and then the cable and now the whole thing works beautifully... Good luck with it mate.
Steve
sven is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
my clutch in my AU was very heavy when i first got the car... and i left it for a year like this.. and then the clutch finally gave way, got it replaced with a heavy duty clutch and it was lighter than the stock one.. i also found out that the firewall was cracked along the peddal box...
easy way to tell.. get a hose and poor water on your windscreen infront of the drivers side.. if water leaks into the drivers floor when you press the clutch then you too have a cracked firewall or pedal box..
I have the same prob and I hear it's quite pricey to fix. When I spoke to Ford about it they reckoned it was only an E-series prob....

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #13
stiddy
Banned

its bascially all manual fitted cars up till AU, ba's dont have this problem..
the metal on the firewall is just simply too think, and flexes every time you push the clutch.. and over time the flex becomes a weak spot where it cracks...
just about everyone i know with a manual falcon has had this problem...
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #14
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

my turn