Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Default AU1 Rear speakers & steering control problem

Good afternoon all,

I just recently removed an aftermarket unit out of my AU1 & placed a single CD factory item in. Now because the loom was hacked up for the aftermarket HU, I grabbed one out of an AU2 wreck.

Now ive checked out the colour diagrams on this site for which wire is which & joined them up accordingly. The first problem is the steering wheel controls, which are not working at all.
I know the au2 loom had 2 wires for SW controls (orange/black & red/black) & the AU1 had 1 (red/white) ive tried hooking up either of them and both to no effect.
(The orange/black i forementioned is the right one, as i know the other of the same colour is a speaker wire which is working)

The second problem is the rear speakers are not working, ive endeavoured to match their wiring too (pink/black & pink/green, blue/black & blue/red which is not the dimming ciruit wire because that is working too) & even changed polarity just to be sure & they still will not work.
Now i know its possible that the speakers are just blown, but is there any other cause to this?

Cheers for any assistance

SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Re: AU1 Rear speakers & steering control problem

Hi Scotty.

Not sure that I can help you with the steering wheel controls, but to determine if you have the correct wires for your rear speakers, a simple test you can do is:

Disconnect both rear speakers and head unit.

Short the left rear wires together at the speaker. If you have a multimetre, you can measure for that short at the head unit on what should be the left rear wires. If you see the short, they are the left rear wires. Remove the short on the left rear pair and measure again - short should be gone. This will confirm you have the correct pair.

Repeat the process for the right rear wires.

If you do not have a multimetre, you can use a test lamp. Repeat above with the short on and short off process, but instead of the multimetre, earth one wire at the head unit to ground, place the test lamp tail on the other head unit wire and the other end of the test lamp to a +ve 12V. Lamp should light up with short in place at the speaker - if it does, remove short at speaker and confirm lamp goes out. This will again confirm your HU wiring colours are in fact the same wires at the speakers.

Hope this helps
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Hi Scotty. How did you go? Get it sorted out?

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 16-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Sorry for the late follow up Stu, but yes I did get it to work. My problem was using an AU2 loom. Not only are the colours in different positions on the plug, but so is the steering control wire.

Many thanks for you help though

Now im trying to figure out whether or not the remote wire on an aftermarket HU can be used to work the steering controls.....
Old 16-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Sorry for the late follow up Stu, but yes I did get it to work. My problem was using an AU2 loom. Not only are the colours in different positions on the plug, but so is the steering control wire.

Many thanks for you help though

Now im trying to figure out whether or not the remote wire on an aftermarket HU can be used to work the steering controls.....
No probs Scotty. Glad you got it worked out.

From my very limited history with aftermarked head decks it they have a remote wire, they should have the ability to 'train' or learn the different resistances provided by the steering wheel control.

Good luck.
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 16-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
From my very limited history with aftermarked head decks it they have a remote wire, they should have the ability to 'train' or learn the different resistances provided by the steering wheel control.

Good luck.
Stu
Thats interesting, hopefully I can find some write-ups on that.

In the mean time, the CD deck circuit on my factory HU began to malfunction. Such as spitting out discs intermittently, not playing through all speakers, etc. And I came across an interesting solution. I had an 2nd unit in my possession but didnt have the code for it, there is a daughterboard mounted under the CD mechanism, this contains the code.
I simply changed out the daughterboard & now have a perfectly functioning unit, whilst retaining my old code.