Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default Camera installed at Adelaide end of South Eastern Freeway tunnels?

When I was driving down the freeway towards town, into work last week I noticed some construction work on the city side of the tunnels, at the opening in the median strip.

They looked like they were installing some kind of camera or device pointing back upwards into the tunnels. It is in between both tunnels. I gather it would be to catch people speeding down through the tunnels towards the city mainly, or even people flying up through them on the up track.

The speed limit in the tunnels is 90kmh but as the rest of the stretch is 100kmh, people very rarely do 90 in them - only trucks and grandpas really. So maybe the government has caught on. Was only a matter of time really. I think it had been discussed previously.

Anyway for those of you who travel down the freeway into town or wherever regularly, or for any interstate visitor, beware!!!!

I will update on it during the week if I drive down there again!

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big brudda is watching you... and me !

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
BLDNUT01

thanks for that i,ll be comming down the easter wk end but i always thought they did have cameras thru the tunnels
Old 17-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDNUT01
thanks for that i,ll be comming down the easter wk end but i always thought they did have cameras thru the tunnels
Nah they never did. If they had, I would have had 82347684 fines by now. But what I saw looked remarkably like a camera of some kind on a rather tall pole - like the ones you see at intersections.

Old 17-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
BLDNUT01

Dam then i,ve been the old grandpa all this time for nothin could be like the 1,s just past keith (or b4 if leaving SA) they are on a pole on the side of the rd and go over the lane
Old 17-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
5L
[ 5L ]

most probably an inspection camera, so they can keep an eye on whats going on inside the tunnels, nothing better than going through the tunnels in 3rd gear and giving it short stabs. 100km/h is the average speed as jac said the freeway on either side is 100km/h whats the point in slowing down for a couple of hundred meters.

if its a speed camera they will be making a decent profit on it daily.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
ZEDAYE
20 INCH 100 SPOKES

I think the cameras are for the truckies, they catch the rego number and a face shot of the driver.They are at regular intervals on major freight routes as well as some weighbridges. The idea is to catch trucks speeding or travelling over logbook hours. One has to wonder what they do with all the info relating to what vehicles pass through them?
ZEDAYE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDAYE
I think the cameras are for the truckies, they catch the rego number and a face shot of the driver.They are at regular intervals on major freight routes as well as some weighbridges. The idea is to catch trucks speeding or travelling over logbook hours. One has to wonder what they do with all the info relating to what vehicles pass through them?
Hmm that is interesting!

Old 18-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
SP.UTE1
Burning Up 98 Octane

Bugger there goes the the last place to listen to the lovely exhaust note from the bikes on full noise. : Thanks Jac for the heads up.
BBB
Old 18-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDNUT01
Dam then i,ve been the old grandpa all this time for nothin could be like the 1,s just past keith (or b4 if leaving SA) they are on a pole on the side of the rd and go over the lane
It's safer to the the Grandpa than the Grandson! Especially in Victoria the, hte Nazi state, you would have had to be Grandpa more than Grandson just to keep your licence.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #11
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEDAYE

Those cameras are a bit furher along, on your way out of the city, just past stirling i think, there are a few of them on a pole accross the 2 lanes, on both sides of the road. I think anyone that has travelled the freeway at all, let alone those of us that travel it reguarly would have some large fines from those tunnels, i hope they arnt speed cameras though, that would suck

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Doctor Sodways is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #12
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm fairly sure it's just a surveillance camera to check for obstructions in the tunnels. It's too small to be a fixed speed camera, and also it isn't angled right for detecting speed.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
I'm fairly sure it's just a surveillance camera to check for obstructions in the tunnels. It's too small to be a fixed speed camera, and also it isn't angled right for detecting speed.
OOPS! Wish I had read this earlier. Took my car out for a run this afternoon and guess where I went! Hope they are not speed cameras - though I was pretty careful as there were a lot of cops out today.

B#mmer.

Still smiling
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #14
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Oh I hope you are right... But Im not going to risk it though... cameras of any kind make me paranoid now. I nearly crashed trying to get a look at them when I saw them... Hmmm.

Old 18-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

Inspection cam is more than likely what it is, similar to what they have on poles @ intersections around town to monitor traffic flow, etc...

If it is a series of cameras then its going to be a SAF-E-TY cam that monitors truckies and makes sure they aren't speeding over a length of time. They get measured at the entry point, and when they exit and average speed is calculated to see if they were speeding or not having breaks like they should, etc...

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #16
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went through it today, saw the camera's, but there are no flash's, so that would pretty much rule out speed cameras, right?

I remember reading in the RAA motor mag a while ago that they were lobbying the government to install monitoring cameras. Which is fair enough. That way if there's any signs of trouble in the tunnels, they can instantly change the speed limits inside them.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 12:04 AM   #17
XRchic
Hello

All good, thats a relief!

Old 19-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #18
jonk

They're inspection cam's. Also, we don't have safety cam's for truckies in S.A.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #19
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
They're inspection cam's. Also, we don't have safety cam's for truckies in S.A.
You sure about that mate? What are the cameras over the road further up the freeway, and the ones on Pt Wakefield Rd at Globe Derby?

Probably not called "Safe-T-Cams" here though.
Old 19-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #20
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/freig...tcam/index.asp

Ok, they are called Safe-T-Cams
Old 19-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #21
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its when you can't see the cameras (like in Sydney Harbour Tunnel) you have to worry. The obvious ones in such locations are traffic monitors.
Old 19-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #22
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Pretty sure in SA they need to signpost the use of fixed cameras??

Would also vote for inspection cameras, perhaps in response to a few breakdowns which occured in the tunnels in early march (yeah, nothing like doing 2km/hr with 2 lanes open in the up track of the hysen tunnels lol).
Old 19-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #23
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
You sure about that mate? What are the cameras over the road further up the freeway, and the ones on Pt Wakefield Rd at Globe Derby?

Probably not called "Safe-T-Cams" here though.
Not to forget Main North Road (Sturt Highway) after the Gawler bypass. Drive under those suckers every work day.

Perhaps watch Sunrise in the mornings and when they do the traffic updates with Jimmy, see if there is a picture on the TV's in the background depicting the Heysen Tunnels. _2:
Old 30-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
mustanghbm
Starter Motor

Default Re: Camera installed at Adelaide end of South Eastern Freeway tunnels?

Toll Gate - that sneaky little camera just by the Mira Monte entrance seems to have everyone doing 60 of late - is it just for trucks I wonder???
mustanghbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #25
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was told that speed cameras were installed in the tunels when they were built but for some legal reason they are not allowed to use them i dont know why mabee the curve in the tunnels or the exposed fans anyone work at transport sa that knows?
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Nice threadmine!
Old 31-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #27
BHDOGS
Banned

As far as im aware in s.a your not allowed to catch people speeding front on or on a steep gradient or hill it must be at the bottom of it just on the flat part could be a load of crap tho just a rumour i heard
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #28
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Good chance they are there for trucks. There has been an uproar about the speed trucks do on the downtrack in that area. Over so many wheels/axles (not sure of number), they are only allowed to do one speed (not sure of limit), and if they are under the wheel axle limit, the speed limit increases.

Sorry I'm a bit vague over speed limits/wheel and axle limits, but it's a good chance that's what they are there for.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #29
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
What are the cameras over the road further up the freeway, and the ones on Pt Wakefield Rd at Globe Derby?

Those ones are used to make sure truckies aren't fiddling the books. There are 2 or 3 sets from that point, right through to Pt Wakefield itself.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow a 5yr old thread....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post