Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Why Toyota Topped Recall List For Third Year In A Row

Why Toyota Topped Recall List For Third Year In A Row
Floormat and throttle recalls still dogging Japanese automaker
Posted: Jan 02, 2012

Toyota led the 2011 recall list and will rely on its much-lauded Camry to varnish its reputation in 2012 (Toyota)

Toyota in 2011 topped the recall list among automakers for the third year in a row.

This year Toyota, along with its Scion and Lexus sub-brands, had to recall 3.5 million vehicles, a tally that does not include the many vehicles for which Toyota also delivered technical service bulletins, which flag problems and defects that need fixing without rising to the level of recall.

Toyota again topped the list in a year when automakers as a whole got better, with total recalls declining from 17.2 million last year to 13 million this year, according to WardsAuto.

The Japanese automaker's two big problems were replacing and fixing swiveling floor mats that impaired the acceleration in a Lexus and a catchy throttle that netted unintended power boosts.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration hit Toyota with hefty fines because of its sluggish response to safety concerns.

By comparison, Ford recalled 3.2 million vehicles and Honda placed third in recalls with 2 million.

But the net effect of this negative distinction could be most damaging for Toyota. That's not to say the brand can't recover.

"It is surprising to many that Toyota leads automakers in recalls because the company has such a strong reputation for quality," says AOL Autos Editor-in-Chief David Kiley. "But it is that reputation and track record that has a lot of its customers willing to give Toyota plenty of chances to get things right."

Toyota's floormat and throttle problems were the biggest quality set-back in the company's history. But it seems to be getting things back on track. Consumer Reports recently recommended the new 2012 Camry, and though Lexus lost the title of top-selling luxury brand to Mercedes in 2011, the much-lauded redesign of the Lexus GS should help the brand gain some lost ground in the new year.

Toyota and Lexus sales in 2011 were also negatively impacted by the Japanese earthquake and tsunami, which damaged auto plants and Japan's transportation and energy infrastructure.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Why Toyota Topped Recall List For Third Year In A Row

I dont see recalls as a bad thing, nothing more then acknowledging their stuff ups. More then some manufacturers do.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Wouldn't it be simple maths, you sell more cars so if there is a recall, more cars would be effected
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
Wouldn't it be simple maths, you sell more cars so if there is a recall, more cars would be effected
Stop letting truth get in the road of a good story
Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I dont see recalls as a bad thing, nothing more then acknowledging their stuff ups. More then some manufacturers do.
that is what i am thinking - they are looking after their customers and not trying to sweep it under the carpet
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
that is what i am thinking - they are looking after their customers and not trying to sweep it under the carpet
Something Ford need to have a good hard look at doing for a change.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
maybe so, i have no experience with ford dealerships, but since they are #2 on the list of recalls, maybe they are trying to change, if they are as bad as it seems
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
is that comment due to personal experience, or after reading others experiences on the wonderful internet??
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
The Snout

I've got a 2003 Camry and at the last service, 230 000 kms, they made a change under recall.

The damm vehicle is 9 years old and they are still trying to improve the breed and admitting errors.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
I've got a 2003 Camry and at the last service, 230 000 kms, they made a change under recall.

The damm vehicle is 9 years old and they are still trying to improve the breed and admitting errors.
the recall may well have been made many years ago. it doesn't matter how old the car is, if it is noticed that a particular recall hasn't been done, they have to do it.

2003 falcons had a recall on rear brake lines. i'd hazzard a guess that there are still some getting around that haven't bothered to visit a dealer and get it fixed. recalls don't have a time limit as far as i know.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the recall may well have been made many years ago. it doesn't matter how old the car is, if it is noticed that a particular recall hasn't been done, they have to do it.

2003 falcons had a recall on rear brake lines. i'd hazzard a guess that there are still some getting around that haven't bothered to visit a dealer and get it fixed. recalls don't have a time limit as far as i know.
this is correct, recalls are flagged against the vin number, can only be removed when a dealer claims through the warranty system.

As I see it Toyota uses recalls to sell more cars/services/up-sell work.
Its a direct line of contact to old a new customers bringing them to the dealership eg:
they learn where the nearest dealership is
can look at the new range while recall is being done
tech can look over car while doing recall - upsell extra work
and on and on.
Recalls no longer hurt a brand, it keeps the conversation going
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
As I see it Toyota uses recalls to sell more cars/services/up-sell work.
Its a direct line of contact to old a new customers bringing them to the dealership eg:
they learn where the nearest dealership is
can look at the new range while recall is being done
tech can look over car while doing recall - upsell extra work
and on and on.
Recalls no longer hurt a brand, it keeps the conversation going
these are very good points and ones that many wouldn't think of when talking about recalls.

even if the extra work is only a minor thing like a wiper blade or brake fluid flush or something minor, it creates a positive from a negative situation. sometimes the dealer may decide to do some extra work free of charge to build that good relationship. the customer then leaves in a positive and when something does need doing or it comes time to upgrade the car, the dealership where they were looked after is the first place they'll think of.

i haven't had this experience via recalls but i have with warranty work. the dealer i go to really looks after me and has done the odd freebie on occasion. normally i would service my own cars once out of warranty but i will continue to get my fg serviced by them even though warranty is ended. it just keeps the relationship healthy and in future when i have a car under warranty again, it all works in your favour. its a two way street though. i don't ever walk in there throwing my weight around. they didn't build my car so they aren't directly responsible for anything that breaks.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2004 prado, got crush cans for bullbar replaced 3 months ago under a recall, maybe is just that they will acknowledge a mistake and try to rectify it, wonder if ford will replace my plastic tensioner guides in my xr8..............course they wont. Im thinking this has alot to do with toyotas sales

Last edited by mash again; 03-01-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: too lazy to use spell check!
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again
wonder if ford will replace my plastic tensioner guides in my xr8..............course they wont.
should they? how many have failed in unmolested engines? genuine question. same with oil pump gears. most people i know that have upgraded these parts have modified their engines.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, I'd rather live in a system where car makers are forced to acknowledge and fix thier faults rather than the bad old days where they could wash thier hands of the whole thing.

I thought the "floor mat" problems were sourced to just plain driver error in most cases? Others that were "blamed" on Lexus and Toyota were "cruise control problems" where some idiot would just leave the car on cruise and not even try to hit the brakes or turn off the ignition and sail into an accident at full pelt...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
should they? how many have failed in unmolested engines? genuine question. same with oil pump gears. most people i know that have upgraded these parts have modified their engines.
Failed no. Needed replacing yes. Engine mods and indeed cars mods. Nil.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Exactly. The Falcon and Territory would both be in a better position in the marketplace if Ford had been proactive and recalled the cars when they needed to. In field repairs or whatever they are called don't work as they are underhanded and assume that all customers past and present use Ford dealerships for service. Something from their own customer surveys and through their dealers, Ford would know to simply not be true - especially as cars get out of warranty.

Manufacturers cannot legally force customers to use their dealerships for service anyway, therefore they should not be allowed to assume people will know about any modifications or repairs available for their cars through Ford dealer service. Its just a plain dodgy practice. At least put the info on the Ford web site where customers can find out about this stuff and make their own choice.

Sending a letter to advise of a potential fault to be looked at and suggesting I drop the car of for a inspection and/or repair, would work much more effectively with me, then ignoring the cars faults for to long (first we've heard of it etc) until warranty runs out or ignoring it completely.

Hopefully the new consumer laws and Fords sudden interest in fixing the on going ball joint saga for the Territory has turned the companies attitude around.

Meanwhile sending me some marketing gumpf of a third rate sportsman standing next to a Falcon or Territory in some improbable location isn't working for me. I'd rather they stood by the product they sold and supported the existing customer base - crazy as that may seem to some on the forum who will immediately jump to Fords defence by claiming other manufacturers are equally as bad. As if that somehow makes it ok or best practice.

Dan

Last edited by DanielXR8; 03-01-2012 at 03:12 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again
2004 prado, got crush cans for bullbar replaced 3 months ago under a recall, maybe is just that they will acknowledge a mistake and try to rectify it, wonder if ford will replace my plastic tensioner guides in my xr8..............course they wont. Im thinking this has alot to do with toyotas sales
Recalls are done on safety grounds, tensioners aren't a safety issue, so no recall.

Recalls are only ever done if it creates a potential danger to the public.

Worse case with tensioners is they will get noisey and might fail well down the track. Just like Nissan diesel engines fitted to the Patrol, they had a habit of blowing up, some very early in life too, no recall was ever done.

They do a service campaign on those types of things if they consider it worthy.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Exactly. The Falcon and Territory would both be in a better position in the marketplace if Ford had been proactive and recalled the cars when they needed to.
speculation at its best
Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Have you purchased a new Ford or just rehashing what's said on here?
If so have you had a recall on a new Ford

This isn't a dig at any model but I'd love to see the ratio between models re: recalls.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #21
caliber

I work for Honda and I know that when a recall is done, a letter is sent to the owner who last had their car serviced at a Honda dealership.
If the brand keeps in contact with their customers like this, the recalls get done, and the customer also feels the company cares for them as an individual.
Better than if you were to take your car elsewhere to get it serviced and have no idea there is a recall.
Most of the time the car comes in for a recall at the same time as a due service.
Therefore the dealership gets more business.
Smart move by Honda IMO

The fresh new xr50 turbo manual.
[url]http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=5633682#post5633682
caliber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

think of recalls as "updates" just like every now and then you have a windows update pop up, of a GT5 update :-)

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber
I work for Honda and I know that when a recall is done, a letter is sent to the owner who last had their car serviced at a Honda dealership.
If the brand keeps in contact with their customers like this, the recalls get done, and the customer also feels the company cares for them as an individual.
Better than if you were to take your car elsewhere to get it serviced and have no idea there is a recall.
Most of the time the car comes in for a recall at the same time as a due service.
Therefore the dealership gets more business.
Smart move by Honda IMO
All manufacturers do the same thing.

I've gotten recall letters a year or 2 ago for the Territory I sold back in 2004.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post