Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-09-2005, 03:41 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default AU2 Knocking in front end

I know this should probably be in the tech areas but im more in need of info from AU owners, hence I posted it here.

Dad's AU2 has a very odd knocking/creaking kind of noise coming from the front passenger side at low speed. It seems to happen when steering and also when going over rough surfaces, so Im thinking either shock absorber or possibly the charcoal canister? (I think thats what they're called?) rubbing against the panel.

If it is this, whats the best way to get in there and check? It is a case of removing the wheel well splash shields and getting in there?

Old 05-09-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

If it sounds like a dook ,dook, dook sound then its your shocky mate.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
sbcb
BA Xr8

I'll follow this thread with interest, mine has developed this low speed knock noise while slowing for a intersection etc. Quite a dull noise but obvious with the radio down. Seems to be on the front passenger side, problem is that it is a very inconsistent noise to produce. Only pattern I seem to notice is that it is only noticeable when the car is warmed up. Have tried recreating the noise while boucing the cars suspension in the garage but have not been able to reproduce it. I was starting to think it was releated to brakes, definitely not consistent like what I would expect a shock/road bump noise to create.
Mine is a AU2 XR8 auto.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
mattsAU1

i had the same prob with mine bout 12 months ago and took it to pedders for one of those $14 suspension safety checks
turns out mine was a couple of upper ball joints and a cactus rack and pignion
ended up sosting me a pretty penny too
hopefully it doesn't cost as much for you and it is a no obligation analysis of all the suspension components of your car so for $14 its was a good idea and i take mine back every 10000kms or so for a checkup
being no obligation if your confident enough and have the right tools etc do it yourself and save on labour
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
bailey04
RockGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcb
Seems to be on the front passenger side, problem is that it is a very inconsistent noise to produce. Only pattern I seem to notice is that it is only noticeable when the car is warmed up. Have tried recreating the noise while boucing the cars suspension in the garage but have not been able to reproduce it.
Thats exactly my thoughts.. Mine makes the same noise and its an AUII SR..
Some days the noise is there other days it not..

Maybe taking it to pedders will be the way to go.
bailey04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #6
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

Upper ball joints can become dry. This will give the sensation that the front shocks are stuffed and make a thudding noise a low speed. Peel the boot back and lubricate the joint.
Found this on a mates TE50.
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #7
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey04
Thats exactly my thoughts.. Mine makes the same noise and its an AUII SR..
Some days the noise is there other days it not..

Maybe taking it to pedders will be the way to go.
$14 bucks mate it was the best money i ever spent
my rack was shagged like completely empty of fluid
who knows what would have happened i was like the guy reckons bout a couple hundred kays away from frying my power steering pump and they not cheap at all
there is nothing wrong with mine now i just take it back for my own peace of mind
Old 05-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford dealers have a special tool for greasing the upper ball joints from AU onwards.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:18 PM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Mines the same and it was upper ball joints too. Not stuffed but dry. They couldn't have packed them with grease properly from the factory.

It made a slight rattly noise at walking pace coming to a gentle stop. But you couldn't find it by bouncing or rocking the car.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:24 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks for all the replies guys, it definately sounds like upper ball joints are worth looking at.

The Pedders check is something Ive told Dad to have done anyway since this came up, so we will definately get it done but its always good to have an idea of what to look for yourself beforehand.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:21 AM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsAU1
$14 bucks mate it was the best money i ever spent
my rack was shagged like completely empty of fluid
who knows what would have happened i was like the guy reckons bout a couple hundred kays away from frying my power steering pump and they not cheap at all
there is nothing wrong with mine now i just take it back for my own peace of mind
That's why you should check your power steering fluid level at least once a month.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #12
sbcb
BA Xr8

All good feedback cheers all.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS 50
Upper ball joints can become dry. This will give the sensation that the front shocks are stuffed and make a thudding noise a low speed. Peel the boot back and lubricate the joint.
Found this on a mates TE50.
Thanks for this but can you go into a bit more detail? Im a bit lost as to where to start having never done anything like this before.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #14
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Thanks for this but can you go into a bit more detail? Im a bit lost as to where to start having never done anything like this before.

Quicker and cheaper in the long run for you to take it to a Ford dealer that has done this before. Upper control arm has to be removed.

Sorry i can't be more encouraging but steering and brakes should be left to mechanics.
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS 50
Quicker and cheaper in the long run for you to take it to a Ford dealer that has done this before. Upper control arm has to be removed.

Sorry i can't be more encouraging but steering and brakes should be left to mechanics.
No dramas - I agree about brakes and steering. It wont be going to Ford though.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #16
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a similar problem. I found that some of the top strut nuts were a little loose, and a tighen up of someother suspension bolts did the trick.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #17
mattsAU1

roger that i wouldn't take my car to ford either Pedders i reckon is the go at least they have rebuilt parts that they put a fairly significant warranty and replacement on
ford will have warranty too but it will be brand new parts and cost twice as much not to mention labur costs
Old 08-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #18
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

i had the same problem on one of the delivery utes.
found the sway bar was loose at the links where it joins the lower control arm
apparently it is a common problem.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ah - reminds me to update this.

Dads had Pedders give the car a once over and they reckon the bushes need replacing, and also found a power steering leak (unrelated).

They also quoted on a full steering rack replacement which is totally unneccesary and has me of the opinion that they may be just fishing for work, not sure.
Going to have the regular servicing mechanic take a look at it at next service and get a second opinion.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #20
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
That's why you should check your power steering fluid level at least once a month.
Believe it or not I don't check a thing unda the bonnet. If there's no oil stains on my driveway I can't see the point lol.........97000 clicks and still no leaks anywhere.
The only time the bonnets up is in at Ford service time (touch wood : )
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:

Dads had Pedders give the car a once over and they reckon the bushes need replacing, and also found a power steering leak (unrelated).

They also quoted on a full steering rack replacement which is totally unneccesary and has me of the opinion that they may be just fishing for work, not sure.
Going to have the regular servicing mechanic take a look at it at next service and get a second opinion.
Sounds like they were fishing for work.

I just had my power steer hose replaced from the rack to the pump/reservoir ... not the cheapest item (just over $100 for the pipe) ... but if i didn't get it replaced it would have killed my recently replaced alternator (as it died 2 days before I was going to replace it anyway.

I am going to get a suspension check just to be safe as well ... I here the odd clunk at slow speed when turning sometimes ... might just be the dry ball joint issue ... but want to get everything else checked out.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 11:02 PM   #22
Velociraptor
Digging for avatar

Quote:

A second opinion is a good way to go , its very hard to find a mechanic you can trust. My AU was making a noise like you describe , it was a loose rack : before I had the "dreaded rack recall".
Old 04-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #23
sbcb
BA Xr8

Mine fixed, upper ball joint, cheers team.