Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
midgetyone

Default AU Gas Coil Pack

Hi all,

I have a AU3 XR6 which has developed a slight miss (I'm guessing ignition). It has new plugs but I was going to replace leads and coil pack.

I tested the lead to lead resistance through the coil pack on the car and they were 29.3kOhm 29.6kOhm 29.8kOhm. They were reasonabley even so I thought they were possibley ok, however I reacently got the opportunity to salvage parts from an AU3 factory gas Forte. Tested the coilpack from the forte (both coil resistance and insulation resistance) results being 9.4k 9.6k 9.4k for the secondary and 1.5Ohms on all primary with excellent insulation (which is spot on I am led believe....?). So out of curiosity I tested lead to lead through this coil with the salvaged gas leads and 12.4kOhm on all roughly. Now it has me wondering with such a big difference if it is ok to swap over or there is a difference somewhere between the petrol and factory gas requirements..?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

midgetyone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: AU Gas Coil Pack

i think they're all the same?
Old 16-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the coilpacks are the same but don't mess around with used ones they are a pain to change so forkn out a few $ and make sure

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
midgetyone

Takes 15min with a set of car ramps so I'm not too fussed about swaping and changing . Just trying to eliminate the miss...

I can't understand the fact that it is over twice the resistance. If the packs are the same I guess it must be in the leads... Either they're special gas leads or something on mine is shot
Old 16-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have experimented with leads over the last 5 years in My AU on gas and have found a huge difference. the best I have encountered are the genuine ford ones, best idle no miss or backfire.
You must have small hands if you can do them in 15 min took me a lot longer with lots of swearing and lost skin

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 16-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
midgetyone

Haha must do. I thought to myself "Don't know what everyone complains about" when I did it first Much better than the dizzy on the EL
Old 16-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

From memory the XR6 coil pack looked different to the basic INTECH coil pack that i replaced on my AUII EGAS ages ago.

I had a miss at idle more than anything ... and after replacing all plugs and leads I went with a 2nd hand coil pack from a reputable wreckers. I had no issues after that.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are only 2 coilpacks for the AU6 one is for the series 1 the other is for series 2 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
From memory the XR6 coil pack looked different to the basic INTECH coil pack that i replaced on my AUII EGAS ages ago.

I had a miss at idle more than anything ... and after replacing all plugs and leads I went with a 2nd hand coil pack from a reputable wreckers. I had no issues after that.

Rides:

Old 16-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
midgetyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
there are only 2 coilpacks for the AU6 one is for the series 1 the other is for series 2 & 3
Yep. I'm just glad I found a series 3 for wrecking
Old 16-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Could be wrong, but that is my understanding also.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
midgetyone

It'd be great if anyone has a multimeter handy to do a lead to lead through coil resistance check so I could compare. Leads to test between are 1-4, 2-5, 3-6 if memory serves right
Old 17-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetyone
It'd be great if anyone has a multimeter handy to do a lead to lead through coil resistance check so I could compare. Leads to test between are 1-4, 2-5, 3-6 if memory serves right
If its that easy for you, then its simple to take 1 of your leads off and measure its resistance. They should read just a few k ohms.
My book here tells me secondary resistance should be 9.3 k.

Last edited by AMB; 17-06-2011 at 10:15 PM.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have experimented with leads over the last 5 years in My AU on gas and have found a huge difference. the best I have encountered are the genuine ford ones, best idle no miss or backfire.
You must have small hands if you can do them in 15 min took me a lot longer with lots of swearing and lost skin
i concur mate, i`m still on my second set of leads from new, i`ve had quite a few performance sets over the years and some of them where lack lustre, i might add some time ago a magazine did a comprehensive test on performance ignition parts and factory parts, and the factory ones came up in a very good light.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post