Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
au adam

Default Running bad in the wet

Hey guys,does anybody else have issues with their cars running crap while driving in the rain?
I have 2 AU 2 utes(ded gas)and they both do it.
While coasting at a certain speed it loses power and i sometimes need to gear down or if i take my foot off for a second and back on again its come good for a few more seconds only.
Any ideas?

au adam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does it only do it when its hot or cold as well ?

The air pipe that goes from the snorkel to the converter, Is it getting water down it ?
Old 16-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
au adam

Do you nean hot weather of if the cars temp?
As for the pipe i will check it out.Nice day today and i had no issues.
Old 16-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Put them back on gas

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars temp.
Old 17-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
4ford

The 6 cyl AUs ignition coil pack is positioned right down low in the engine compartment, right down on the front crossmember, left side, below the induction stuff.

I'm thinking these may be getting wet, and maybe the water seals are not properly positioned, hence the bad wet running...just a thought!

This is the best reason I can think of for not driving thru water any more than, say, about 100mm deep, and very slowly, for everyone's benefit!

4ford
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ford
The 6 cyl AUs ignition coil pack is positioned right down low in the engine compartment, right down on the front crossmember, left side, below the induction stuff.

I'm thinking these may be getting wet, and maybe the water seals are not properly positioned, hence the bad wet running...just a thought!

This is the best reason I can think of for not driving thru water any more than, say, about 100mm deep, and very slowly, for everyone's benefit!

4ford

spot on. if i drive around and go thru a puddle thats to deep (which i try to avoid alot!!) my car starts to miss and sound like a WRX. after a while it dries out.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
spot on. if i drive around and go thru a puddle thats to deep (which i try to avoid alot!!) my car starts to miss and sound like a WRX. after a while it dries out.
do you have factory plug leads on??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
au adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Put them back on gas

UK
They are both gas only(ded gas)
Old 18-01-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had similar syptoms in an xh, fine crack in the coil casing, wouldnt kill it, just made it cough for a bit each time it splashed.
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
au adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron
Cars temp.
Id say from memory it seems OK when cold,but that could be because i have only just started driving and water hasnt had a chance to reach where ever it goes.
Old 18-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #12
au adam

The auto one has had coil pac and leads recently replaced(last year) and i hanvt had the manual one for all that long so im not sure if it has the original leads.
I was thinking coil pac so when i get the chance i will look at some connections.
As for puddles,i dont think its an issue.The day it got really bad it was very wet and the roads were soaked but i didnt go through big puddles.Thats what i have lifted Patrol for.
Old 18-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

it just doesent like wet days mate.

weird mine will do the same but its petrol only and going through big puddles which indicates the coil pack.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au adam
The auto one has had coil pac and leads recently replaced(last year) and i hanvt had the manual one for all that long so im not sure if it has the original leads.
I was thinking coil pac so when i get the chance i will look at some connections.
As for puddles,i dont think its an issue.The day it got really bad it was very wet and the roads were soaked but i didnt go through big puddles.Thats what i have lifted Patrol for.
i`m haveing a thought here Adam, if you don`t find another explanation, if it did turn out to be moisture getting into the coil pak from poor sealing leads and rain or a crack in the pak, maybe you could test this by giving the coil pak a bit of a light spray spray with the hose, see if the engine runs the same, drown it in water displacer if it is affected, if its not a problem keep looking else where, or alternatively, carry a tin of wd40 or crc556 water displacer/penetrant in the car , and next rainy day it starts playing up drown the coil pak with one of the previouse products see if it stops the rough running, if it does problem found.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
do you have factory plug leads on??
nope. reg bosch plugs and motor sport leads

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 18-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i`m haveing a thought here Adam, if you don`t find another explanation, if it did turn out to be moisture getting into the coil pak from poor sealing leads and rain or a crack in the pak, maybe you could test this by giving the coil pak a bit of a light spray spray with the hose, see if the engine runs the same, drown it in water displacer if it is affected, if its not a problem keep looking else where, or alternatively, carry a tin of wd40 or crc556 water displacer/penetrant in the car , and next rainy day it starts playing up drown the coil pak with one of the previouse products see if it stops the rough running, if it does problem found.
when i sprayed my engine bay out same thing happened.
90% sure its coil pack related

Old 18-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Running bad in the wet

G'day all, yeah ive had the same issues in my au 1 futura (petrol only) and i reckon the problem is the loom connecter to the coil and the four connecter pins in the coil connection. The seal there is not very good- once the pins get wet a couple times the connecter pins start oxidising and go green. The fix i did was to clean both the pins and loom connecter (scrape the green crap off or use contact cleaner), spray both sides with a heap of wd40 or crc, refit connecter to the coil and tape up the connection with plumbers tape or if you want to get fancy fabricate a water deflector to deflect water away from the coil. Since i did the fix i havent had the problems with the engine missing and carrying on in the wet but i still try to avoid the big puddles!

cheers Maka

Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #18
au adam

Thanks guys,have been a great help.