Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
x-taxi

Default time for a new car, some questions

Hey guys

Im looking to buy a wagon, probs gona be an AU wagon..

theres a couple things im concerned about.

First of all, what should i look for when buying a second hand wagon, what are some common problems that they have, what series/year is the best, etc.

second question i need to ask is, not specifically aimed at a wagon, but has anyone ever put more than one alternator in a ford....if so, could you please share where you mounted them, how you mouonted them and did the longer belt stuff up any engine timing.

i need to mount 2-3 more alternators to the car.

thanks guys

x-taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Hi there x-taxi,

There's a thread here in the au section about common problems with the AUs, but if you're looking for a car that's at least eight and a half years old, then just stick with the usual stuff. Age, condition, kays. Simple as that really.

What series/year is the best? It's all down to personal opinion, but I believe the AUIIs and AUIIIs are the best, if for nothing more than the superior twin-piston front brake setup. Other things like dash layout and trim levels are just down to what you're after.

As for the alternator question, I have no idea. If i remember correctly the higher series cars had a higher rated alternator than the fortes etc, perhaps 120a instead of 80a or something like that maybe? My memory gets more hazy every year.

Good luck with it, but as a general rule of thumb, unless it's a mint high series or something really unusual, you should never pay more than about $5k for an AU six-cyl.
Old 19-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
x-taxi

thanks for the fast reply mate. yer i read thru that thread, was pretty good.

im guessing AUIII will be the most recent model of cars, so might just find one of those. interior doesnt really bother me, since its all going to be changed.
yer not willing to spend more than 5k on the car,

Although with alternator i need to know if its possible to add 3 alternators without effecting the engine. and if anyone has done it, how they mounted it

thanks
Old 19-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
T3man
Banned

I doubt very much you will add alternators - just have a look at the serpentine belt arrangement and you'll see why. If there was physical room somewhere you could do it by adding a secondary pully drive piggybacked on the front pulley - would reguire removal and machining naturally.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Other than a slight tendency to rust around the tailgate hinges and the tailgage strut mounts, I've never come across any other common issues.

They can be a pretty solid car, just look for the usual problems in a minimum 8 year old car.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

AU2/3 are much the same and better than AU1.

Why do you want 4 alternators?
Old 20-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

You could get another alternator in if you lose the a/c compressor.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
x-taxi

sox - i need 4 alternators because im going to have 4 18's in the back, and a total of 15000 watts of power. which need a hell load of amp and batteries.

bushbasher - you bring up an interesting point, since the car just need basics to move around to car shows and some cruising on friday nights.... what other engine components can i move around or remove to make space?
Old 20-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-taxi
sox - i need 4 alternators because im going to have 4 18's in the back, and a total of 15000 watts of power. which need a hell load of amp and batteries.

bushbasher - you bring up an interesting point, since the car just need basics to move around to car shows and some cruising on friday nights.... what other engine components can i move around or remove to make space?
Loose A/C and Power steer - that'll give you room for two more alternators...

or you could just load up rear with 12v sealed batteries used for motorhomes, yachts, remote solar power instalations, etc - just plug it in the wall at home to keep charged and ready to roll. At somewhere around 45kg each you should be able to carry 10 or 15 and still have enough load capacity to carry your amps/subs/etc.

http://www.12volt.com.au/
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-taxi

Do you know the current draw of the amplifiers?

You may not need what you think you need, particularly if you're not spending a lot of time using the car.

Give us some more details.
Old 20-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
T3man
Banned

Righto - now we know what you're chasing - here's the go ...

Simply bolt on one 240V alternator and you can then "bleed off" whatever current you need through transformers to charge your batteries (and run your 12v systems) through anything from one to four (or whatever number) banks. Go talk to your local auto elec who should be able to sort it pretty easily.

We used to do this years ago so we could do electric welding out in the field - much easier than carting a generator around which in those days were rather bulky.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #12
x-taxi

hey guys, thanks for the help...but i think i found a way to do it.

im taking out the battery, and gona create my own bracket and house the alternators there. then either get a longer belt or use another belt and run it off a pulley.

t3man- where do you get a 240volt alt?, and is that going to be DC or AC.
Old 21-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #13
adrian k
adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Simply bolt on one 240V alternator and you can then "bleed off" whatever current you need through transformers to charge your batteries (and run your 12v systems) through anything from one to four (or whatever number) banks. Go talk to your local auto elec who should be able to sort it pretty easily.
wont make any difference, power is power, whether its 12Vdc or 240Vac, its all down to Watts. infact an AC 240V system would be less efficient as you will loos 15% in your charger.

you can get higher rated alternators, have a look in the marine and RV suppliers, then you could get away with just mounting 2 and you wont have as much mechanical losses.

or get your self a 1kW Honda generator to keep batteries topped off.
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Righto - now we know what you're chasing - here's the go ...

We used to do this years ago so we could do electric welding out in the field - much easier than carting a generator around which in those days were rather bulky.
As Adrian pointed out, this won't help things, as watts are watts.
It would be even less efficient because of the conversion, and the jury is still out on the legalities of having mains voltage in a car anyhow.

There are big 12v alternators for this purpose, as high as 250a I believe.
I'd still like to know the current draw of the amplifiers, and then there idle current, because the system would rarely be running at high-full power, except during competition.

The answer might simply be to run a lot of batteries, and one big alternator.
Old 21-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #15
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Not such a great need for more alternators when you have Optima batteries and large capacitors.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #16
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive never seen a car running more than 1 alternator for soundoffs etc?
just usualy one BIG one and a bank of capacitors and a couple of dry cell batteries