Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #151
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

It's not about how fast a a box/clutch set up can change gears to get the fastest time imaginable, I bet the 458 or the Datsun Playstation can change gears quicker than a Tamagochi can devour a Pokemon and poop a digital nugget...but that's not the point.

It's about disconnection from the machinery and the driving experience, or the journey rather than just simply arriving.

For example; a Datsun Playstation has so many computers, yaw sensors, wiz-bangery and 'press-buttonry' that it really kinda detaches the driver from driving the car. Yes I have driven one too, BTW. Impressive: yes, fast: yes of course, built for outright speed and winning: yes, but boring? well....yes I kinda think so.

Audi & BMW et. al. do not have a manual option on their rocketships because most of the people who buy the cars now...are either not licensed for manual cars or can't (read: never been taught) drive a manual anyway. And more commonly drive to their apartment blocks in Cities and can't use cluthces properly in traffic. Auto's do have a place in cookie-cutter commuter cars, I will concede as all my work cars are auto and as I work in high density / hight traffic...where you can't (read: shouldn't) crank it up and wring it's neck.

Unfortunately, as the majority of a particular city population will live in a high density, therefore high density traffic area...manuals will slowly fade away into the annals of Wikipedia history and sadly, few will understand the imprecise connection that driver / machinery had once relished in order to commune with the universe and God's of gears & oil. Knowing how to drive a manual does make you a better driver, but in a different way that few will ever understand having not gone a certain way to attempting to master it.

True petrol heads will understand, it's not always about the look, it's about the feel, the immersion.

Too many computers can really suck all the fun out of the purpose of the experience.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #152
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 rep to you Platinum!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #153
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
I think he means the blip feature is 'automatic', not the transmission.

I've heard a few journo's say it takes the fun out of nailing a sweet blip.

I agree - if the pedals are nicely spaced why would you want it done automatically.

Fricken PITA blippping the XR8 tho... Pedals are all over the show...
I know what he means, you can engage it in the manual cars as well. Tho you have the option of turning it off in the manual.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #154
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR

Audi & BMW et. al. do not have a manual option on their rocketships because most of the people who buy the cars now...are either not licensed for manual cars or can't (read: never been taught) drive a manual anyway.
haven't been to europe have you? i agree with the rest of your post, but most europeans drive manuals.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #155
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
haven't been to europe have you? i agree with the rest of your post, but most europeans drive manuals.
Well, in most sub-sports or performance tier models yes that's still true. But as the thread suggest...becoming less & less...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #156
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
True petrol heads will understand, it's not always about the look, it's about the feel, the immersion..
remember when it used to be a selling point? i remember seeing Holden Monaro GTS adverts - "Gift of the Grab" (4 speed on the floor)