Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #31
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaidecrows02
What all have said comes together and thats why I picked this quote.

If it's something that you want to do, really think about this option as it will give you some options down the track if you find out that you really dont want to be just a mechanic, or a mechanic at all. I did it in reverse - was a desk jockey/ships diver in the Navy, and now have a wrecking yard/workshop/crash repair business.

You have so many different options available to you in the Defence Force. Where the army might be working on vehicles, the Navy could be going in the direction of ships/helicopters/vehicles, and the RAAF planes or vehicles. On top of this, leaving one of the forces with a trade opens a plethora of areas. Entering one of the forces will mean you will start with a much better wage than your regular apprentice, and finally you get to travel.

I'm dont mean to shove this down your throat, just pointing out what else is available.

Cheers
+ 1 great idea

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #32
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yep. And whilst houses are over a quarter of a million dollars for a heap out in the sticks, anyone choosing a career path where $19/hr is the norm is going to make life very, very difficult for themselves in only a few years.
Yes I had to give away what I really wanted to do for something where I don't really enjoy my job anymore, but at least i can afford a modern home!
And this is what its all about. You work to live, not the other way around.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #33
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Did a pre-app course when i was 16 which was good and gave me the basic knowledge for when i started work e.g jacking up cars, knowing where the sump is and so on. It also counts as your first whole year at tafe so when your a 1st year at work you will be a second year at tafe. A good point to use when you are looking for a job is to say you can be working full time 1 year earlier then any other apprentice

I stayed at the same place for 5 years and enjoyed it a lot. We worked on many cars from old to new. My old boss was into vettes so we always had something like that around. On the other end we had a fleet of hire cars which included Audi a8's, 7 series BMW's and a bunch of Caprice Holdens. We did a bunch of random engine builds including vans, small trucks and cars.

Money was not the greatest but not bad. In my final year i was taking home $720 a week.

This mechanical knowledge got me my new job which is rebuilding espresso coffee machines.

I think its important to take these points into consideration

* Look into the pre-app course.
* Look at a small garage. (You get to work on a large range of cars)
* Don't spend $15,000 on you first tool box. You will loose you 10mm ring open-ender
* Work 50 plus hours a weeek.
* Grease, grease, grease.

If your keen on cars and enjoy fixing things you will like it. It will also give you the knowledge you need to build your own project car properly.

Makes me miss wrenching.......
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #34
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
A few wise men from AFF once said to me, "Don't turn your hobby into your career, you'll hate it" and "After spending all day working on other peoples cars the last thing you'll want to do is come home and play with yours"

Not trying to turn you away but just something to think about. Good luck
i agree. i did work as a mechanic for a few years, at one point i had so much black on my face someone asked if i was aboriginal (no joke ). working in a local garage is dirty work, it's much better if you can get in at a high end dealership or a 'clean' looking shop.
Old 30-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #35
george7

but how do people learn all this stuff about working on cars when they aren't mechanics?
george7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #36
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some mechanics do get more than $20 and hours but MOST dont.

There is way easier ways to earn MORE money than being a mechanic, but saying that I'm still glad I did my trade because now I have the knowledge to work on my own cars and have saved + MADE thousands in my shed on weekends.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #37
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
and have saved + MADE thousands in my shed on weekends.
This is the biggest advantage to being a mechanic. The ability to buy cars for next to nothing because 'something major is wrong!' (lol it's just a dead injector) and flog em off for a few grand in your spare time.
I still do this. I took yesterday off my boring office job to work on the excel, went to the wreckers, it was a good change.
Old 30-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #38
george7

yea mall the mechanics i know, well the smart ones anyway, work during the week then do private jobs on the weekends for people they know from the area and they make their enitre wage during the week on a sunday or saturday and sunday.

It alot of working but doing that, you could get decent money, plus working on mates cars would be alright anyway.
george7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #39
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

the way i see it, the only way you will make decent money from being a mechainic is if you do your own projects as above, buy cars that are broken (but is realy a simple fix especially with the right tools/parts) and sell em for a profit... thats what my uncle does, he's probly sold 10 cars in the past year and hasnt lost out on any of them
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #40
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by george7
but how do people learn all this stuff about working on cars when they aren't mechanics?
Easy, just buy a workshop manual and start working on your own cars.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #41
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
A few wise men from AFF once said to me, "Don't turn your hobby into your career, you'll hate it" and "After spending all day working on other peoples cars the last thing you'll want to do is come home and play with yours"

Not trying to turn you away but just something to think about. Good luck
Exactly. Been there, done that. Got out of the trade at age 41 for this reason and others. Did not want to be climbing under dashboards and busting my guts in a workshop until I was 65! Crap wages didn't help the motorvation much either.
If you really have your heart set on an automotive trade, go for the diesel side of things and work your way into a job at the mines. Lots of money to be made there.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #42
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for the mines. Thats where I'm headed now, or at least trying to....
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #43
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Yes the money is good at the mines but the work isnt for everyone. A mate of mine got a job up there as a mechanic only a few weeks ago. He didnt last a week. Said it was terrible.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #44
XDOUBLEU

you would have to be mad to start as a car mechanic. Packing shelves at coles, or driving a forklift somewhere will earn you more by the hour, and you need no skills, no tools and no responsibility.

Get into the heavy side straight away, be it road transport or mining/earthmoving and you will be laughing. You will learn everything and more than you will ever need to know to fix cars, and also learn how to improvise, fabricate, become a part time auto sparky, and learn how to fix anything and everything mechanical. You will also get paid well for your trouble.

$20 something an hour just doesnt cut it for any skilled trade these days. I pay $20 odd an hour tax!! In the underground game, our third year apprentices are on $30 an hour.
XDOUBLEU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post