Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Davo1
Starter Motor

Default SatNav blowing fuse

My first post here. A few months back I bought an aftermarket SatNav. Works perfectly in my Toyota but keeps blowing the 20amp fuse in the Focus. I found the only way to avoid this is not to plug the power cable into the cigarette lighter until after the engine is started, and to remove it before the engine is stopped. Otherwise, the fuse overloads and blows. In other cars I have tried it in , it is fine to leave it plugged in all the time.

I recall doing a google search some time back and discovering others have had similar problems with the Focus, but I can't find the site now.

Has anyone else struck this issue and can offer a work around?

Thanks

Davo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I havent struck it as yet. I have a tomtom1 that I plug in.

What if you hard wire it at some other point? (and leave cable in the glove box say?)
Old 13-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Davo1
Starter Motor

Don't really want to do that. Seems to me a SatNav [Mio] should just work wherever you plug it in.

At this stage just trying to ascertain if it is a Focus issue or just an electrical problem on my car - it's just out of warranty!

Otherwise I have to say it is a great car to drive, zippy and great grip. Only complaint is the crappy interior quality.
Old 14-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

I've got a tomtom OneXL and I havn't experienced the issue even through I leave it plugged in alot. I've also ran my laptop from the cig lighter for the whole distance between melb & syd without any issues (tho i didn't have it plugged in before i stared the car)
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Davo1
Starter Motor

Sounding like an electrical problem.

Thanks.
Old 14-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
casabonka
You can call me Chris

likewise with my LG GPS, never an issue, whether plugged in before/after its been started - that includes a trek from Syd-Gold Coast and back!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
fordmondeoman

I would say the power socket is not getting a good enough contect with the nav connector and is possibly getting to warm from the poor connection which is then drawing more current. If the car has 2 12v sockets do you use both at the same time? as they may run of the same fuse and over loading the 20amp fuse, one way to test whats going on is if you own a multi (ohms) meter you can measure how much current the nav uses on a different car then on the car that faults if its higher then you know that there is a issue with the socket