Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
dylancox

Default Getting an old car back.

Just had a look at this link and found it interesting that my old car from 6 years ago is still alive and well.

http://www.vehiclestatuscheck.vicroads.vic.gov.au

Is there any way I could somehow contact the owner and get the car back? I'd probably imagine not due to privacy laws, etc.

dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox

Is there any way I could somehow contact the owner and get the car back? I'd probably imagine not due to privacy laws, etc.
Not a hope that you can get the information to find the current owner.
You can ask Vicroads if they can contact the owner on your behalf and give them a message, but i wouldnt hold your breath.
Glad you found a use for the link - very handy to have.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Not a hope that you can get the information to find the current owner.
You can ask Vicroads if they can contact the owner on your behalf and give them a message, but i wouldnt hold your breath.
Glad you found a use for the link - very handy to have.
My wifes car was made a repairable write of in the recent Melbourne hail storm. The person who purchased the car at the auctions rang our home phone twice looking for the service history on the car as he was going to repair the car and sell it off. As far as I was concerned how the hell did he get our name & address as it's a private matter.

I thought the service history was in the glove box with two sets of keys and I told him that but he became angry saying he only got the two keys with the car and needed the service books which I don't have so I told him to F..off

I warned him ring again and I will contact the Police have not heard from him since as I had his mobile phone No that he rang us on
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
My wifes car was made a repairable write of in the recent Melbourne hail storm. The person who purchased the car at the auctions rang our home phone twice looking for the service history on the car as he was going to repair the car and sell it off. As far as I was concerned how the hell did he get our name & address as it's a private matter.

I thought the service history was in the glove box with two sets of keys and I told him that but he became angry saying he only got the two keys with the car and needed the service books which I don't have so I told him to F..off

I warned him ring again and I will contact the Police have not heard from him since as I had his mobile phone No that he rang us on
Found this on the Consumer Affairs website regarding buying used cars from car yards:

Quote:
Notice of Particulars

This important notice should be displayed on the car’s rear side window. The notice gives details such as:

* if the car is covered by a statutory warranty
* its build date
* the name and address of the previous owner, whom it may be wise to contact to find out details about the car and why he or she sold it
* the odometer reading
* whether the car is on the written-off vehicles register.

When you buy a used car, you must sign the notice and the trader must give you a copy.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i dunno about other states but i know in qld at least a couple of years ago you could just rock up to the dot hand over a fifty and they'd give you the details of any car on the road
Old 23-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
66GT

i got Qld Trans. to contact the current owner of my original engine. can't remember the $$ but the guy did phone me - unfortunitally he wont sell.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I see my old car all the time, infact i know where it currently resides as ive seen it parked up outside many times. If I was rich i would knock on the door and ask for it back as it was also my first car.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i bought back a landau i sold to mate,but he didn't have a carport or shed so it was too far gone with rust (was back then, now it would go for 15g on ebay) so was striped and dumped. my au2 xr8 that i have now i sold to a lad about 2 hours away and i saw it avertised about 4 years later and had only done 15000 km more. i bought it back and is going strong. my old ba2 xr8 ute is on car sales at the moment and have been considering buying that back too.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've tracked a few of my old cars through the NSW RTA's Freedom of Information act. It cost's about $30 and dates back to 1981. The forms are available over the counter only.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its always good to see an old car alives stil, about 6 months ago i found my old car, the one that started my love for cars and involved lots of blood sweat and tears in doing it up. except i found it on its room all smashed up and torn apart in a carpark, had been stolen and stripped i was gutted it was like i had lost a finger