Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Default Wheel & Tyre fitment.

Gday everyone,

I know this should probably go under the wheel and tyre section. But seeing as its AU related i'm hoping here will get the answer i'm after.

I have been eyeing off a set of staggered 19x8.5" and 19x9.5" mags for my XR8. Will the 9.5's fit under the back off my AU? Keeping in mind i am prepared to roll the guards if required. Also what size tyres would be suitable if they will fit?

Old 15-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

9.5" will fit under the back mate...
depending on how low you go you may have to roll the gaurds a little...

I'd go 245/35/19 at the front
and 285/30/19 at the rear and it will keep the same rolling diameter front and rear..
could also go 235/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear if the 245's are too wide for the front!!

Hope that helps..
kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

There's no gain in fitting 8.5"s to the front if you can't fit a bigger tyre than you can on an 8". And if you can only fit a 235 tyre then you are going backwards.

9.5"s will fit the rear if you get the correct offset - must be 30mm or under. Even with 30mm offset you may get some rubbing on the inside. 25-28mm offset would be good.

Edit ... In any event 235s are too small for an 8.5" rim and 275s are also too small on a 9.5" rim. I would fit 255/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rears. You will have to roll your front guards.

Last edited by T3man; 15-08-2010 at 02:38 PM.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

We're talking 19" rims though..
Don't most of them come in 19x8.5...? not 19x8.0..?
I had 245's on my 8.5" wide 20's with no issue....(at the front)

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

You may have thought there was no issue - fact is that the rim is incorrect size for that size tyre - the sidewalls would have been stretched. Well it is maybe not excessively too small but definitely right on the limit. Your sidewalls on a low profile tyre should be neutral - ie. not stretched out nor bagged in.
Old 15-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

with the 245's? The walls were stretched...?
Never noticed that..
even with the 19x8.5's i had 245's and they never looked stretched..
When I first got the 20's they had put 225's on them.. Now they were stretched!!

So are you saying on an 8.5" rim you need to put 255's+ in order for the walls not to be stretched T3man...??

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
T3man
Banned

On an 8.5" rim the correct tyre size is 255 in a low profile fitment ie. anything less than 50% profile. You can use a 245 or a 265 but definitely never consider a 235. And some tyres sizes differ from brand to brand - Toyos for instance tend to be a generous tyre while some others like Kumho can be a little under done.
Old 15-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

I understand what you're saying..
I have a pdf calc program that I downloaded ages ago that shows the stretch of tyres on different size rims..
If anyone wants it pm me with email addresses and I'll send it..
cheers
kris

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
T3man
Banned

I've just checked Toyos site and they say a 235 will go on 8" to 9" OK - however, like I said their tyres are usually generous in width - I would be careful and check what other tyre makers said for their tyres because I'm pretty sure most would not recommend a 9" rim for a 235.
Old 15-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #10
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Well certainly glad to know they'll fit. Now i just gotta find the cash to order them. Thanks fella's
BuckTooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post