Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-09-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Default What Security Systems do you have / would recommend?

There seems to have been a spate of users cars going missing lately, and mine was almost stolen a couple of weeks ago in Argyle St, Parramatta.

I really can't bear the thought of my car sitting burnt out in a ditch somewhere. I am looking at getting some security goodies for my car.

The reason I have posted here, instead of the e-series forums, is because I think that I am not the only member on here that could use some security advice!

What have you guys got in the way of Security? How effective is it?

Discuss.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I would suggest a 3 point imobilser system, black widow have always seemed to make a decent product, or pirahana are not too bad, check with your insurance company they aften have a preffered alarm brand and might even give a bigger premium discoiunt if you get one of those fitted. For the slightly more paranoid of the world you can get pager alarams that tell you when the car is being tampered with, and you can satellite tracking as well, so the car can be tracked and shut down when safe so the police can arrest the thieves.

At the end of the day, they want the car, they will get the car, a tow truck is used then.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Must have code hoping. Black wire. At least two independant points (starter and coil). Pager or GPS if ya have the $$$

Also a kill switch independant of the alarm. (fuel pump)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Kryton

i have a BudiLock on the Fairlane. google cant seem to find any info on it though.
what it is, its like a big padlock that locks the gear shift in Park. takes about 30minutes to cut through it with an angle grinder and can be unbolted unless the gearbox is removed.
car can be broken into but cant be stolen.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
Shonky

How does smart-lock stack up?

It does a pretty damn good of locking me out of the car, how does it go against theives.?

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Old 19-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
How does smart-lock stack up?

It does a pretty damn good of locking me out of the car, how does it go against theives.?
**** easy is an understatement
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Mongoose has an awesome range of 3 point immobilisers too... with all sorts of different sensors (tilt and glass break) and what not ...

www.mongoose.com.au
Old 19-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #8
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My insurance company recommend Brant alarms, but then I read somewhere that they went broke, so now I'm confused.
I'm looking at a 3 point passive arming immobiliser.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #9
Shonky

OK. So Smart Lock sucks ****. What exactly is Smart Lock?

Is it just Central Locking, or does it have integrated immobiliser system or what?

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 19-09-2005, 06:28 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Hmm...smartlock is a central locking device.The key however has a tranpsonder in it and deosnt allow the car to start if it is not the correct key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
My insurance company recommend Brant alarms, but then I read somewhere that they went broke, so now I'm confused.
I'm looking at a 3 point passive arming immobiliser.
Holy crap!!I have known them for well over 14 years!! All good things must come to an end..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #11
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
OK. So Smart Lock sucks ****. What exactly is Smart Lock?

Is it just Central Locking, or does it have integrated immobiliser system or what?
Tibbe keys, central locking and a single point immobiliser(i think). May stop the old school hotwirer, but using some strategically placed wires can get the car running in a few mins.

The main weak point of smartlock is that the doors unlock by opening the handles.

Oh yea if you wanna disable your car, apparently removing the bulb from the roof will do it(haven't tested).

Thing is, if thieves really want it they'll get it. All you can do is reduce their "want" of having the car
Old 19-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #12
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Holy crap!!I have known them for well over 14 years!! All good things must come to an end..
I read it on a previous thread here, though when I looked up their website it still all appears to be in order.
Might have to give them a call, 'cause if I use one of their products I get a discount on my insurance.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 11:28 PM   #13
Shonky

Well it is a bog standard ED Fairmont Ghia, with a nice smash in the front left corner, and flaking pinstripes and chrome strips.

I don't think a theif is going to be too desperate to get his hands on my car... :P

I think if I have a half decent security system, they won't bother.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Old 19-09-2005, 11:42 PM   #14
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
Tibbe keys, central locking and a single point immobiliser(i think). May stop the old school hotwirer, but using some strategically placed wires can get the car running in a few mins.

The main weak point of smartlock is that the doors unlock by opening the handles.

Oh yea if you wanna disable your car, apparently removing the bulb from the roof will do it(haven't tested).

Thing is, if thieves really want it they'll get it. All you can do is reduce their "want" of having the car
Oh yeah another valuable smartlock goodie - security coded tape deck...
Old 19-09-2005, 11:47 PM   #15
EL_futuraistic

Are the Alarm upgrades worth a look? or would the factory imobilizer and maybe a kill switch be more effective.

Im mean if someone wants to steal your car, they will just use a tilt tray if they cant start it.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post