Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
tickfrd6

Question Compressing springs? Have you done it?

hey guys just wondering if anyone has had expirience with compressing their springs. Will it make the ride worse and more bumpy? The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to get 19" wheels and it's going to raise the height of the car. I have ultra lows in the car now and I like the height it's at now with the 17"tickfords and want to keep the same height when I go 19". Is there any other way of doing this. If it matters at all I have an au xr6 vct with IRS.

Cheers
Matt

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

A question first. Are you increasing the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre combination, and if so, by how much?
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

going from a 17 to a 19 wheel shouldn't change your overall diameter and if it does it won't be much, less than an inch i'd say so would your car sitting half an inch higher worry you that much. Having said that, i've tried brute spring compresses and could not even get them on even tried while compressing the spring but the guy at autobarn swore by them even had them on his car. Took them down to him and he couldn't even get them on lol.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
tickfrd6

Thanks for the reply guys. So it would only be half and inch. I thought it would have been more. Then I gues there would be no reason to compres them half an inch won't worry me that much. Blownv8au did you find that the ride of your car was alot stiffer from compressing them?

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 03-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

no mate never got them on, just got lower springs. On a side note your car will look lower with the 19s cause they will fill the guards more.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

I wouldnt worry too much about changing the springs at all.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
tickfrd6

Blownv8au what do you mean by it will look lower.. Will the tyres be tucked under the guard?

B2tf I don't think I'm going to do it anymore and save the money for the exhaust ahha

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 03-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yeah as the others have said, there won't be any real difference.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there will be somewhere around 10-15mm difference so 6mm higher of the ground and 6mm more into the guards, so it 'looks' lower(smaller gap in guards) and can clear bigger bumps and kerbs etc.double bonus!!!!!!!!!!
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post