Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the best value retaining ute?
XL auto 8 12.12%
XL manual 1 1.52%
XR6 auto 11 16.67%
XR6 manual 7 10.61%
XR6T auto 10 15.15%
XR6T manual 6 9.09%
XR8 auto 2 3.03%
XR8 manual 9 13.64%
Holden 6 auto 0 0%
Holden 6 manual 1 1.52%
Holden SS V8 auto 0 0%
Holden SS V8 manual 5 7.58%
Other (please detail) 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #31
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

FG XR6...

Ive got one as my work car.. its done 22,000 kms and i paid $33,000 for it 14 months ago, last week i went to trade it in on a newy and was offered $27,000 trade which i think is pretty good!!! I woulda taken a new one if i coulda got one with a luxury pack but theres none in the country and delievery wont be till late Feb / March...

It looks good, its good on fuel and its safe.. I dont think you really need anything more.. a V8 for employees to drive?? are you serious?? Same with XR6 Turbo, too much liability to have employees driving that around in the wet, unless ofcourse its for yourself predominately.

R6's are a waste of time as they are dearer then XR6 at the moment, and the resale on them is s*&$ .. They are the XLS replacement...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #32
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
if your trading it in it would'nt matter really ! it would be a tax write-off any way ! it is is a bussiness you would want to get around a cheaply as possible ! if you put a dint in a xl it would really matter ! if you put a dint in a xr6 well some one might care ! in a big bussiness where you not going to be driving a car ! the xl would be the choice ! if you got a beautiful xr6 ute in Dash (green) e.g ! would you like some one put a dint in it on the first day ? if you got a dint in the xl on the first day would you really car proberly not ! carpet isnt a good thing for bussiness ! vinyl in better like they use in the basic utes ! yet again another opionion of mine

or go hilux ! who cares !
XL's look cheap and nasty nowadays with the black body kit / skirts.. For 3 grand more your better off with the XR6 for resale, plus they present better in the eyes of a customer, which is sometimes important and they are safer with Traction control / DSC and 17 inch wheels.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
FG XR6...

Ive got one as my work car.. its done 22,000 kms and i paid $33,000 for it 14 months ago, last week i went to trade it in on a newy and was offered $27,000 trade which i think is pretty good!!! I woulda taken a new one if i coulda got one with a luxury pack but theres none in the country and delievery wont be till late Feb / March...
Now THATS what I am talking about...

Thats even better than what I did with the Yaris.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #34
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grab yourself a banged up $600 XF ute...
Drive it around for 3 year's....
And still sell it for $600.... :
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Grab yourself a banged up $600 XF ute...
Drive it around for 3 year's....
And still sell it for $600.... :
Tried that plot.

At one stage I had a fleet of E series that all cost me about $2k to buy. The running costs were horendous.

Apart from the fuel they just kept breaking down all over the place and major components like brakes, head gaskets and transmissions as well as electonics, plastic panels and interiors had to be replaced.
This is all a lot of fun if you are a car enthusiast and like playing but in a work situation I had to pay someone to fix them.

I tried lasers etc with a similar result.
Interestingly I also had a few old jap/korean bangers, they hardly ever broke and used bugger all fuel.
They were just too small and crap on the highway.

The problem with work cars is that no one cares about them. Oil is never checked, tyres are often low, they can go anywhere even a 4WD will not go etc so a warranty and scheduled maintenance is mandatory.

I actually bought the laser as the "punishment vehicle". No aircon or power steering, crap seats and manual trans, it was the vehicle that you had to drive if you had annoyed me.

It actually worked quite well as no one would drive it and would take their own car (by their own choice so no claim against me ) and it sat there unloved and unwanted until walked to work one Saturday and "stole" it. No one even noticed it was gone for about a week.

It became my "drunk car" until 3 little turds trashed it one night.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #36
BA Baracus
xls

XL/R6 will have better carrying capacity if you are to carry anything particularly heavy. If it will be driven unloaded a lot, or the weight of your load is low, the XR6 would handle/drive better.

Couple other considerations are ground clearance (lot easier to damage skirts, bar etc. on a XR). And I don't know about in the FG but I think in styleside B series utes the load room is wider in XL then XR models (width between the wheel tubs) if that matters for carrying anything particular.

XR probably opens up some more private market come resale time.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #37
BOSHOG
avenge me

id never EVER buy a V8 or XR6T for other people to use, i chose XT auto
Old 28-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #38
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcon XL ute auto. A fantastic car to drive, you will be very impressed by how good the FGs are.

With 50% BONUS deduction, you will be silly to buy second hand in this environment.

Do not consider Hilux, Ranger base models. Really crap cars and have no resale advantage over a base Falcon ute.

Its a shame you cant get LPG, with 91 usable litres it has a great range and is cheaper than a hatchback to run, plus has MUCH better resale.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post