Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #31
jspec_sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY18s
Well the cops talk about how dangerous low cars are but they bypass the fact that very high 4WDs are equally as dangerous yet very high 4WDs get away scot free whereas low cars cop the crap.The very high 4WDs should be a defect aswell.

Actually what is the point of driving a 7 foot 4WD in surburban areas? unless you want to go run over cars like a monster tuck.
It could be argued that the "customer base" of 4WD vehicles is quite different to the lowered car "customer base", hence the different driving habits and level of police attention. And yes, I do own a car that is quite low from the factory...

On what facts do you base "Well the cops talk about how dangerous low cars are but they bypass the fact that very high 4WDs are equally as dangerous"? Any car is dangerous in the hands of an irresponsible driver.

The argument of 4WD's in the suburbs has been done to death, but some of us actually do use them for dirt/unmade roads, even mundane stuff like towing horse floats - in these circumstances a "7 foot 4WD" (with a V8) comes in quite handy. Whether I live in the suburbs or not is nobody's business.

And what is the connection between lowered cars and running over cars in a monster truck?
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #32
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dude im talking about those big *** Fourbies with big *** tyres that look like they can crush a car not stock height Fourbies with stock tyres.

I just dont know why they dont target them aswell.

Imagine if you came to a pedestrian crossing in one of those things and a small kid walks across the road and you take your eyes off the road for 1 second do you think you would see them due to the extreme height of the it?

Also thats where they belong on dirt trails and farms not inner city areas where they can become a serious danger to everyone.

I bet a high 4WD will kill someone before a lowered car does.

Last edited by Ryan; 24-08-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #33
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dude im talking about those big *** Fourbies with big *** tyres that look like they can crush a car not stock height Fourbies with stock tyres.

They do!
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #34
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In that case I apologise for talking so mucn sh*t. lol

Sometimes I dont know wtf im talking about. lol
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 11:54 PM   #35
Mal
My EB2XR8

Let us not bring up the 4wd issue. As well as cars I have a passion for four wheeling too. I'm happy for it to go unnoticed as much as possible. I accept that it's not a performance car and drive it appropriately.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 11:23 AM   #36
jspec_sti

Quote:

Imagine if you came to a pedestrian crossing in one of those things and a small kid walks across the road and you take your eyes off the road for 1 second do you think you would see them due to the extreme height of the it?

Also thats where they belong on dirt trails and farms not inner city areas where they can become a serious danger to everyone.

I bet a high 4WD will kill someone before a lowered car does.
No problem, I understand your point. A standard 4WD can be hard enough to see out of at times. Whenever I manouever the Explorer around my place (even just to back it out) I make double sure that my kids are inside the house and out of harms way.
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #37
Mr Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
While the reasons are valid i think there is a lot more room for a car to be lower than 100mm before you start getting catastrophic handling effects from it.

Best solution: Put in height adjustable coilovers
I thought coilovers were also a defect?
Mr Rex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #38
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rex
I thought coilovers were also a defect?

Really? Where have you heard this?
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #39
Mr Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Really? Where have you heard this?
One of the guys in the WRX club was defected for it and had to take them out.
Mr Rex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #40
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Sorry I shouldn't have said if a wheel comes off. Just if a tyre blows. If it comes off then it's most likely going to hit the deck anyway.
When I had a wheel come off, my stock ride height saved my car from serious damage. Even the solid (non flexible) plastic mudflaps survived despite scraping the ground. If my car was lowered, the mudflap and bumper would definately have been wrecked.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post