Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Please read poll question first.
The G8E will eat from the G6E-T's sales 20 15.63%
The G8E will eat from the Calais V's sales 65 50.78%
The G8E will not eat tonight. 43 33.59%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
You cannot seriously compare Fairmont Ghia V8 to a G8E even powered with a Boss 290..

The Fairmont Ghia was always under powered and seriously lacked the visual asthetics of the G series car.... Fairmont Ghia was always seen as an oldmans car, a G8E on the other hand just like G6E T wouldnt have that old man perception about it.. Just like the Calais V doesnt seem to with many younger buyers getting them.

Im not saying the V8 is the ultimate engine, im just saying it would be nice to have the option of it.. Infact I believe a G8E would sell BETTER then G6ET, just like the GT sells better then F6..

But then again thats another story for another day.
And the XR6T outsells the XR8, why????

The GT sells better than every other FPV for two reasons and two reasons only.

Reason 1) The letter G
Reason 2) The letter T

You know this, it has been debated ad nauseum on here and other places for years......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #32
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Ummm, because they want a luxury car with a bit more power????

High powered G6ETs are popular, high powered Fairmont Ghia V8s were not.

Why?
Sounds like you are only taking the AU/BA era into consideration there flappist. V8 Ghias were very popular in the E-series days when the standard V8 was pretty much as powerful as the sports versions.

BTW I'm a V8 enthusiest but I'm not that dim witted that I know that the turbo 6 or any other engine configuration may be or is better than a V8. We're not all the knuckle dragging neanderthals you seem to think we are.

It's not all about power, it's also about presence, aura and perception. V8's have a certain presence about them built on past reputation. Until this changes (which it inevitably will in the current eco climate) V8s and luxury go well together.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #33
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Ford's way of marketing it would have the largest bearing on how well it sold, as it will give nothing away to any of it's competitors. The name "G8E" might sound too good and render the G6ET to 2nd place??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Actually, I'm not sure that's entirely true. Coyote will be standard on the F150, it will be optional on the Mustang. I'm sure it was designed from the start to coexist on both, but it is designed for the F150. Having said that, I know it will be very suitable as a performance car engine.
Yes, it replaces the "small" V8 in the F-series, only because that will be discontinued? In terms of size it's lighter and no bigger than the 4.6, so it's punching well above it's weight. It's more the perception that I was referring to, and that it won't be as compromised with a stroke longer than that of the big block 460.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #34
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

If these were introduced, it would have to be the FPV range where sales would come from. If you want something a bit more than an XR8, you have to jump over the G6ET and then look at GT's only.

For me looking at buying something and would highly consider a G6ET .... but I stll want a V8 ..... so it would have to be a GT, BUT if a G8E came into the equation, this is where I would look. I dont want a turbo so at the moment thats where it stands.

It would have to take some sales from the oppositon as they are a great looking car, interior and exterior in comparison.

Must say though, it does to seem to be the only missing link at the moment. Even though the FG range is quite huge and does cause a little bit of dilema when the turbos are so good. Before the FG's, I had no problems in deciding what I wanted, the options are just too good at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I remember a time when the Falcon was the best selling car in the country (yes I have a very long memory).
Wasn't that long ago ... it was the day before AU Forte Series 1 was launched

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think if they wanted to launch one, do it while the generation that can afford these cars are still buying, because once my generation gets rich enough to own these things new from the factory floor, they won't give a fat rats clacker about a V8, 95% of my generation likes Turbo 4s/6s over V8s.

Personally (and my opinion doesnt matter because I cant afford one) I'd go the 6 over the 8, its faster, uses less fuel, sounds better and the engine is made here in Australia.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
If these were introduced, it would have to be the FPV range where sales would come from. If you want something a bit more than an XR8, you have to jump over the G6ET and then look at GT's only.

For me looking at buying something and would highly consider a G6ET .... but I stll want a V8 ..... so it would have to be a GT, BUT if a G8E came into the equation, this is where I would look. I dont want a turbo so at the moment thats where it stands.

It would have to take some sales from the oppositon as they are a great looking car, interior and exterior in comparison.

Must say though, it does to seem to be the only missing link at the moment. Even though the FG range is quite huge and does cause a little bit of dilema when the turbos are so good. Before the FG's, I had no problems in deciding what I wanted, the options are just too good at the moment!

Wasn't that long ago ... it was the day before AU Forte Series 1 was launched
It was the EF actually. It was the last Falcon to have market leadership back in 95. The EL was narrowly beaten the next year but got belted when the VT was released in 97 and Ford didn't have the AU ready for another 6 months or so. The AU amplified the problem though.

As for the G8E if it was roughly about as quick as the G6ET I would choose the 8 over the 6.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #37
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Perception is reality and public perception is the gm v8s are much stronger units than than those available from ford.

My guess is that a G8E would cut into calais v v8 sales but only if the above were overcome.
Those who prefer the v8 option dont care about the turbo engine being quicker.
People who generally buy these types of cars probably don't care about 1/4 mile times but theres always that desire to own the best and have the bragging rights.

Hopefully coyote can get eliminate the stigma of ford v8s.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #38
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
Perception is reality and public perception is the gm v8s are much stronger units than than those available from ford.

My guess is that a G8E would cut into calais v v8 sales but only if the abovew were overcome.
People who generally buy these types of cars probably don't care about 1/4 mile times but theres always that desire to own the best and have the bragging rights.

A 6 Litre Commodore with AFM (which is what the Calais has) will not chop a Boss 290....

In lineball efforts a BOSS 290 will eat a 260kw AFM, providing its run in and served with the right juice.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #39
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I know a FGII G-Series is on my dads Radar, the idea of a G8E gets him very excited to the point if they made one at the moment with The Boss Engine (Much loved in our family) it would be in his driveway.

Although i must admit if G8E doesn't go ahead he does really like the G6ET.. then again had i not cememented him in as a Blue man he might have looked at a Calias V 6.0L A6 due to Fords lack of "tradtional" V8 Luxo Model without Spending GTE Bucks.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #40
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
A 6 Litre Commodore with AFM (which is what the Calais has) will not chop a Boss 290....

In lineball efforts a BOSS 290 will eat a 260kw AFM, providing its run in and served with the right juice.
Even though most enthusiasts here know that the boss is quicker.
Most of the public/non enthusiasts perceve that holden have the bigger, faster v8s.
"perception is reality"
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #41
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
I think if they wanted to launch one, do it while the generation that can afford these cars are still buying, because once my generation gets rich enough to own these things new from the factory floor, they won't give a fat rats clacker about a V8, 95% of my generation likes Turbo 4s/6s over V8s.

Personally (and my opinion doesnt matter because I cant afford one) I'd go the 6 over the 8, its faster, uses less fuel, sounds better and the engine is made here in Australia.

I think this coment sums up the long term future for a Ford V8 perfectly......me also thinks that unless the coyote V8 is something very special indeed, it is already a dead duck in the water no matter how its packaged. :evil3:

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #42
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As the owner of a G6ET who obviously could have bought a XR6T or XR8 with luxury pack I really wanted the "wolf in sheeps clothing" of the G6ET. I wanted as much luxury as I could get with the highest level of performance available and the look of a luxury car. I'm 44 with a young family so probably right in the target market. The XR's look great however the G series suit me better and have a far greater differentiation to the previous model. In fact if there had of been a Fairlaine "FG turbo" I would have bought that for the extra rear leg room. The turbo gives me more performance then I can handle however the luxury interior I enjoy every second I'm in the car. If the new V8 can match the turbo's power I would sacrifice some economy if it matched the turbo in braking/handling etc...If the option was available today between identical performance/handling/ride and very similar ecomony/specs/features would I buy the 8 over the turbo, probably, but not if it was a big jump in price for only a better engine note as I would rather spend the extra on more features.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #43
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa

My guess is that a G8E would cut into calais v v8 sales but only if the above were overcome.
Those who prefer the v8 option dont care about the turbo engine being quicker.

You summed it up well, especially the first two sentences. If Ford don't release this then I think they have an inferiority complex; there is no way the VE is a better car than FG, nor would the L76 be any better than the new V8, or the old one for that matter. It pains me to see Ford allow lost sales to a mostly inferior product, only because they've given in to perception.
It's competitor isn't really the I6T, it's overcoming what you said in the first few lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF

You see, when the cars discussed are the luxury type and not rice bubbles and hairdryers, you would need to consider not the generation, but more the level of maturity.

Last edited by Falc'man; 05-10-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #44
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
As the owner of a G6ET who obviously could have bought a XR6T or XR8 with luxury pack I really wanted the "wolf in sheeps clothing" of the G6ET. I wanted as much luxury as I could get with the highest level of performance available and the look of a luxury car. I'm 44 with a young family so probably right in the target market. The XR's look great however the G series suit me better and have a far greater differentiation to the previous model. In fact if there had of been a Fairlaine "FG turbo" I would have bought that for the extra rear leg room. The turbo gives me more performance then I can handle however the luxury interior I enjoy every second I'm in the car. If the new V8 can match the turbo's power I would sacrifice some economy if it matched the turbo in braking/handling etc...If the option was available today between identical performance/handling/ride and very similar ecomony/specs/features would I buy the 8 over the turbo, probably, but not if it was a big jump in price for only a better engine note as I would rather spend the extra on more features.

Spot on, move with the times.....if you want to hear a better engine note crank up a mechanical Cleveland.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #45
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Oh god not another potential v8 vs I6 debate.
Exactly ... and for more fun, we can have massive arguments over whether a ‘G8E’ should have a limited slip differential ... or not.

What these poll questions never include is a check box that states “yes, I can afford to buy a G8E right now, I have no other obstacles to getting one, and I want one”.

Plenty “talk the talk”, but, when it comes to “do the walk into the dealer”, funnily enough, they disappear. The discussion is about as academic as the occasional thread in the Territory forum about Ford building a V8 Territory.
If Ford was going to slip another engine into the line-up, surely the next one in the queue (after the I4) would be the diesel. GDE anyone?

As for the arguments as to why GM sell more V8 than V6, it will be an interesting topic to return to in 12 months time. My view is that the old puss box V6 and four-speed auto put many buyers off.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #46
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Oh god not another potential v8 vs I6 debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynot
Exactly ...
So far, this argument hasn't surfaced ...... I think it is a valid discussion as it seems to be the only missing link in the FG line up. Why not discuss it? It has more merit than a discussion on what the next HO should be ....... and it may surprise you that some of us might be in the market ... not all but I am sure there is a few.

Have a look at how many in these forums has just taken delivery of there new GS and a G6ET! There are many buying and at the stage of cinsidering what to buy.

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #47
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well if the new V8 is slotting into FPV's then it only makes sense that it will find its place into a normal Ford to try and recover the costs. Ford has no excuse as they dont offer the fairlane anymore. I honestly think the only thing holding ford back currently is the bonnet issue.

One that most people here would actually like, but perhaps not suited to the majority. If the G8E fails with the next run (assuming they make it) then I think you can safely say the V8 and Ford will part ways and FPV can fight that war.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #48
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
So far, this argument hasn't surfaced ...... I think it is a valid discussion as it seems to be the only missing link in the FG line up. Why not discuss it? It has more merit than a discussion on what the next HO should be ....... and it may surprise you that some of us might be in the market ... not all but I am sure there is a few.

Have a look at how many in these forums has just taken delivery of there new GS and a G6ET! There are many buying and at the stage of cinsidering what to buy.
Maybe they should have built 200 special edition G8Es with 302s aswell! Woot woot!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #49
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Maybe they should have built 200 special edition G8Es with 302s aswell! Woot woot!
Well that would be WOOT WOOT!

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #50
ltd
Force Fed Fords

As someone who has always had ford V8's and who bought a G6E-T last December, I can honestly say that I'd still go the 6T over the V8 any day.
Why? Because it does everything better than any of the 8's I've owned.
It's lighter in the front which makes it more pointy on the twisty bits, it's got a much better torque curve and it's a whole lot more sophisticated and refined than any V8 I've ever owned. Plus, it's at the top of the class without any mods.
It's also got arguably more cred than a V8; Gen Xers tend to roll their eyes when you mention a V8 but respond approvingly when you mention the 6T. I don't know why, but they do.
Would I swap an Aussie built force fed 6 that sits on top of the performance data for something with a seppo donk? No way. Whilst I still love the V8 soundtrack it's just too much to pay for something which will struggle to be on par with something I already own.

Quote: