Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What will be the effect of Holden producing the Cruze in Australia Long Term?
Cruze will conquer! 9 12.33%
Australia is ‘Commodore Country’. 22 30.14%
Win/Win: Both will shine. 22 30.14%
Holden’s spreading their resources too thin. Both will fail 20 27.40%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Cruze to conquer Commodore?

The July 2009 VFACTs results show Commodore sold 3856 units as compared to 4906 in July 2008. The Cruze on the other hand leapt out of the box in its first full month of sale with 1,982 units registered (Compared to a total of 2,132 Astra’s/Viva’s in July 2008).

As well all know the new car market has faltered in 2009 explaining partially the drop in Commodore sales. This combined with the imminent launch of their new V6 engines, and hangover from the end of financial year may have contributed to the Commodore’s tally.

The Cruze on the other hand has the advantage of being an all new model, has been heavily advertised, and complies with Government Fleet policy (4-Cylinder / Diesel). Also, the fact that Cruze will be built in Australia, has given it a ‘true blue’ Australian shine.

Overall the Large Car segment is falling while the Small Cars are shining. The export market is similar with Commodore recently losing a large contact in the USA, while Cruze is being built with export markets in mind.

What will the net effect of Holden producing the Cruze in Australia Long Term?

Old 13-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
hardlynormal

won't those numbers be inflated simply because its a brand new car and dealers are getting stock?
not necessarily because people have purchased them?
hardlynormal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

That's a fair point, but Holden has been pretty vocal about how well sales are going for this new model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarPoint
Holden Executive Director Sales, Marketing and Aftersales, and CEO elect, Alan Batey said Holden was "very, very happy" with the Cruze's local rollout.

"It's early days but we're very, very happy. We probably have gone off much faster [than expected]," Batey told the Carsales Network.
http://carpoint.com.au/news/2009/sma...-success-16123
Old 13-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

Cruze has a large hire car following. There are also many dealer registrations to cover. I personally am yet to see one in the wild.

Holden are in enough trouble as it is. Commodore isn't making them a great deal of money, their parent company is stuffed, and they are throwing good money after bad trying to shoehorn Cruze into Elizabeth, when they have access to another GM Plant in Asia that can make the same car, just as well, for a lot less money. If building Cruze locally turns Holden a cent of Profit, I will video myself eating my old Britek hat.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Wally
XP Coupe

My gut tells me me it will go well. As I mentioned recently my wife noticed the release advertising and I've heard other women talking about it recently too (in the same sentence as the Mazda). If Holden have pitched the product at women, it seems to be working.

On top of this GM are about to carryout a marketing blitz at higher than historical spending levels, with fewer brands:

Quote:
"We'll heavy up on the spending," Lutz said at a press event here. "We've been spending at a level that barely sustained brand health. Now we're going to spend at a level that builds brand health."
Worldwide Hyundai-Kia have jumped into 4th place in front of Ford. They've increased sales by a million more units in twelve months, which suggests the small car takeup is on the rise.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I'll be honest, i think Cruze will sell relativey well, not because it deserves too, but because Marketing is one thing Holden does extremely well. That said, I don't think the Cruze will be a Financial success for Holden, not so long as it is built alongside the Commodore.
Old 13-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

It will do good, I saw one at the shops today, it looked pretty cheap in person (non biased opinion :P)
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

All i can see is new camira
Old 13-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
My gut tells me me it will go well. As I mentioned recently my wife noticed the release advertising and I've heard other women talking about it recently too (in the same sentence as the Mazda). If Holden have pitched the product at women, it seems to be working.

On top of this GM are about to carryout a marketing blitz at higher than historical spending levels, with fewer brands:

Worldwide Hyundai-Kia have jumped into 4th place in front of Ford. They've increased sales by a million more units in twelve months, which suggests the small car takeup is on the rise.
I know of 3 such women who have ordered the new Cruize. All lease vehicles and will replace Astras.

I think smart marketing will sell this car as people will see it as a new Australian built car, 5 stars safety, Holden doing well despite global crisis, etc. You speak to 99% of people on the street and they all think that Rodeo, Colorado, Viva, Epica, Barina are all built in Australia along side the Commodore.

Only time will tell with build quality, etc if Cruize follows Epica, Viva and Barina. All of which I see as pretty much failing in Australia. One thing it has over the other 3 is looks. I personally think the Cruize looks a million times better than the 3 Daewoo's mentioned.

Still it's off to a good start.

Smart ads and how they portray a product will always sell more than a quailty product with poor marketing.

We just need to look at well VB sells to see this is true.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark s
We just need to look at well VB sells to see this is true.
Hey don't knock Vitamin Beer.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

Sorry there is only 1 thing worse than "Green Death" and thats the Gold label version.

Same drink different bottle and 12 odd dollars more a carton. Yet again more proof the marketing sells. "look at me I drink beer from a bottle with a gold label"

Getting back to the Cruize, it does not suprise me that it has started well. It does look the goods over the 3 Daewoo's and your correct most women seem to like it. Even my Ford loving wife commented on how nice it looked.

If the car is reliable, comfy, etc. Then it will be a hit and will continue on down that path. I still have to wonder why GM is going down the Australia built path, when it can be produced cheaper in Asia.

Again time will tell if this is a winner for Holden both in sales and jobs within Australia. Lets hope it is for Australian jobs.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I think it will sell well.

Brand image, marketing, spin.........

Holden will sell a lot of them I'm sure and it will clean up the fleet market with them also.

The problem is this......

Unless they get a LOT of money from KRudd to offset their investment, they won't make money on any they sell.

This will get serious for them because this segment sells on price to the masses, and they won't be able to put this on the market (made locally) without losing money on every single one. Mark me words, if Ford or Toyota can't make money on a locally produced small car Holden won't....... ever.

I smell Vectra here......

They will sell lots of these until they make them locally building the brand, then they will sell lots made locally (losing a heap of $'s) before it all goes 'pear shaped'.

I give it 2 - 3 years before local production on this car is abandoned. 2014 ?

Bookmark this thread !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Once they produce it locally, government will buy Cruzes instead of Corollas. At that point, I see Cruze sales exploding. Will it make profit? Time will tell.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #14
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

My best mate works for a multifranchise GMHolden dealer. He has sold plenty in the last few weeks.

He says that GMH have stated their intention is 2500 Cruze's a month in QLD alone. They believe it will topple C'dore for number 1.

At this stage he has a waiting time of up to November on certain colour and spec combinations with most having to wait an expected 6-8 weeks.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I think the Cruze is a winner at least in the short term, the target market seems to like them, it has good features, a 5 star safety rating and is priced to sell.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #16
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

At least its got a nice dash, the instruments and ICC etc look really nifty, not like the all red instrumentation in the VE. :
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #17
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They wont steal sales from commo's IMO.

They are a much better effort than the Epica, it will do well. the hype thats around this compared to the viva and epica is overwhelming as it seems holden havent done the "she'll be right " metallity with it.

It will be like the gemini of old as opposed the the camira...

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #18
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

The cruze will steal alot of sales from commodore, think about it, if 80% of c'dore sales are fleets, then these companies like telstra are going to see the benefits of a cheaper to buy and run car and still 'buy Australian'. In the real world the cuze isnt much smaller then the commondore so as a company/family hack it will do fine.
Which then begs the questing whats the point of the 3.0l commondore?
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

too early to tell, i would rather wait a year.
Old 14-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
OR cheap car takeup is on the rise- Knwon brand + small cheap econobox + slick marketing = sales
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #21
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
The cruze will steal alot of sales from commodore, think about it, if 80% of c'dore sales are fleets, then these companies like telstra are going to see the benefits of a cheaper to buy and run car and still 'buy Australian'. In the real world the cuze isnt much smaller then the commondore so as a company/family hack it will do fine.
Which then begs the questing whats the point of the 3.0l commondore?
I disagree. If that were the case, a lot more Camrys would already be on the road. They're made in Melbourne.
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #22
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
I disagree. If that were the case, a lot more Camrys would already be on the road. They're made in Melbourne.
In Holden's case they've probably got a lot of their current Fleet business telling them 6-Cylinder cars are now a no go zone. Reuss said he was going to push the Commodore and 'educate' them on the 3.0l's benefits, but at the end of the day substituting the Cruze would be a simple fallback position.

Also, if 50% of Commodore sales are to Fleets that's a huge slice to lose.

Last edited by R-Design; 14-08-2009 at 03:03 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
In Holden's case they've probably got a lot of their current Fleet business telling them 6-Cylinder cars are now a no go zone. Reuss said he was going to push the Commodore and 'educate' them on the 3.0l's benefits, but at the end of the day subsituting the Cruze would be a simple fallback position.
What is the ratio of new cars that go in to fleets? I recall vaguely that about 10 years ago nearly 80% of new registrations of Falcs & Commos were for fleets.

I've always been at odds with claims of "Australia's favourite car" for either make when this is the case, and often the choice was one of the two brands only
Ducati888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #24
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
What is the ratio of new cars that go in to fleets? I recall vaguely that about 10 years ago nearly 80% of new registrations of Falcs & Commos were for fleets.

I've always been at odds with claims of "Australia's favourite car" for either make when this is the case, and often the choice was one of the two brands only
Sorry, was editing my post while you were writing yours. Fleet business is gold for Australian manufactured vehicles, I agree it's what keeps them at the top of the charts.
Old 14-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #25
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
OR cheap car takeup is on the rise- Knwon brand + small cheap econobox + slick marketing = sales
They aren't merely selling due to slick marketing, they are actually producing decent vehicles.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post