Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Kawasakirider

Default Swap mine for AU?

Hey everyone, I was talking to my brother today and he has an AU...

The AU needs a door and a panel, it's white, has some 18's on it and up spec interior (not sure what it is, haven't seen it for ages)

It has the VCT engine in it and is honestly a nice car.

I asked him what he was doing with it and he said I could have it. I don't like that sort of stuff, I couldn't accept it without doing something in return, so he made me an offer and I am going to think about it...

He said he will get the panels replaced and I could sell the EA. My EA has an AU XR6 engine, 17's, EB GT kit, Head unit, 115,000 genuine KM's and an AU XR6 trans. Log manifold, EB wiring, computer, etc etc.

He said he'd take 50% of what I got for the EA, which is a pretty great deal I think.

What I'd probably do is, take my gas stuff out of the EA and use it in the AU. I also have the XR6 computer, would this work with the VCT engine?

Body wise I think it's pretty stock looking with a spoiler on the back, maybe SR or Ghia looking.

What would YOU do?

Kawasakirider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Your EA sounds pretty good. Do you have any photos online of it? Just curious.

Do you know if the XR6 the computer came from had the VCT also? If it didn't, I don't think it'll work. It needs the VCT control stuff.

I'd also feel uncomfortable being handed someone's car for free.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakirider
Hey everyone, I was talking to my brother today and he has an AU...

The AU needs a door and a panel, it's white, has some 18's on it and up spec interior (not sure what it is, haven't seen it for ages)

It has the VCT engine in it and is honestly a nice car.

I asked him what he was doing with it and he said I could have it. I don't like that sort of stuff, I couldn't accept it without doing something in return, so he made me an offer and I am going to think about it...

He said he will get the panels replaced and I could sell the EA. My EA has an AU XR6 engine, 17's, EB GT kit, Head unit, 115,000 genuine KM's and an AU XR6 trans. Log manifold, EB wiring, computer, etc etc.

He said he'd take 50% of what I got for the EA, which is a pretty great deal I think.

What I'd probably do is, take my gas stuff out of the EA and use it in the AU. I also have the XR6 computer, would this work with the VCT engine?

Body wise I think it's pretty stock looking with a spoiler on the back, maybe SR or Ghia looking.

What would YOU do?
If it has the VCT engine in it, then it's a Ghia. Only the XR6 VCT and Ghia came with that engine.

PS I don't see why you want to take the computer out of the old car. You wouldn't need it (unless it's tied into the gas conversion?).

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Kawasakirider

I wasn't going to take the XR6 computer out of my EA. I have a spare AU XR6 ECU that I can't use because I converted my AU XR6 HP engine to distributor. I wanted to use the spare XR6 ECU I had with the VCT engine, but I see I can't now.

It is a ghia, I think. It has the nice badges and stuff and a wing on the back.

Dauphin, I'll send you a PM regarding the pics.
Kawasakirider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

it looks like you've done a fair bit of work on the ea, the question i'd have to ask is this- do you actually want the au?

don't get me wrong i've had my au for years and i thouroughly love her, but after owning a car that i've sweated, sworn, and spannered on...i really couldn't trade her for something standard.

also, i've always considered buying someone elses car to being a bit like hooking up with ya mates ex girl. they might have split, but there will always be a history and she'll always be 'his' old car.

on the flip side, as i said, i love my au, comfortable, economical and damn sexy!

just my 2 cents worth, though.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car swaps have always worried me, Its like the other guy will take anything to get his POS off his hands!!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post