Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Harryin Ford
Starter Motor

Default LT Focus brake failure

Today, my 1 year old focus’ break failed when I was driving to work. There were “click” noise and the car was shaking when I tried to stop the car (at around 40k/hr). The break power was very weak. I tolled my car to the dealer and they charged $110 to repair it (don’t know what wrong with my car yet), shouldn’t these be covered by the warrantee?

Harryin Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you tell us what the dealer said was wrong?
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Sounds like brake pads to me.

And no, not under warranty as it is a consumable
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
ptwhite2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Sounds like brake pads to me.

And no, not under warranty as it is a consumable

Not so fast, pardner.

Some 20-odd years ago I had a new Laser that wore its front pads down to the backing plates in a matter of months. It was found that a dodgy return valve in the master cylinder was keeping a slight pressure on the pads at all times, causing them to wear prematurely. Got the master cylinder fixed and the pads replaced under warranty.

If our friend's Focus is only 12 months old, that sounds pretty young to go through as set of pads already, so maybe it's worth investigating.

Of course, I don't know anything about his driving methods, LOL.
ptwhite2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Still even with the pads worn down metal to metal the it still should have good braking force. And you'd probably would notice grinding over a click noise.

I recon its something to do with a hydraulic leak, like a hose broken or loose, or bleed outlet coming off.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
dave_vic_ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryin Ford
Today, my 1 year old focus’ break failed when I was driving to work. There were “click” noise and the car was shaking when I tried to stop the car (at around 40k/hr). The break power was very weak. I tolled my car to the dealer and they charged $110 to repair it (don’t know what wrong with my car yet), shouldn’t these be covered by the warrantee?
It could be anything.

You may have kicked up a coat hanger, ripped the hose and had 1/2 brakes to pull it up with. I cannot remember but either Front and back or RF LR and LF RR are separate systems.

Blown seal on a caliper. Who knows.

You need to ask.
dave_vic_ozz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryin Ford
You didn't refuse to pay the $110 until they told you what the problem was? Or at least ask if/why it wasn't covered by warranty??

Could also be as simple as a faulty washer, had one in mine and was losing brake fluid (rather slowly)...was fortunate to pick it up before it started doing any damage.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
BlackLS
yum

Yeah the Focus is RF LR and LF RR

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pity this sort of posting is unhelpful to any other focus owner but at least someone gets things off their chest.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
Pity this sort of posting is unhelpful to any other focus owner but at least someone gets things off their chest.
I dissagree as tomorrow you may find yourself suffering from the same symptoms and by reading this thread (once we have the conclusion as to what it was) you'll know what to look for.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post