Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default does an exhaust mod need to be engineered?

Morning everyone

just wanted to know if technically an exhaust modification needs to be engineered

im a p plater in NSW and was just doing some light reading and

Quote:
Prohibited vehicles are those with:
* Eight or more cylinders (except diesel).
* A turbocharged engine (except diesel).
* A supercharged engine (except diesel).
* Engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate. * Certain high performance six cylinder engine vehicles or other vehicles as described in the publication Novice Drivers - High Performance Vehicle Restrictions.

so on my bf xt if i were to do extractors and catback would that need to be engineered or would it be p plate legal?

further reading reveals this

Quote:
Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:
Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves, oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate correctly).
would this mean as long as the MIL dosnt get triggered on the BF that it wouldn't need to be engineered?

any feedback welcome

just looking into whether its worth getting a nice set of 4495s

to those of you wondering y my light reading included going onto the rtas website its becaus ei recently found out an old mate has lost his licence for 6 months with a 2000 dollar fine for driving turbo on his ps (he couldnt have been more stupid really driving an r33 with the bigggest FMIC ever created)

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s_nov_2007.pdf

Recent Car

Last edited by Ross-b; 01-07-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
Kryton

no it wouldnt need an engineers but an exhaust upgrade is still considered a performance enhancing modification.
either way, your not allowed to have it.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

see that was my thinking as well untill i read that statement about

Engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate. *

just thought id get some more info before calling and verifying in the morning

Recent Car
Old 01-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

No exhausts do not need engineering, but obviously still have to comply wit emission standards (supposed to, many don't but that is a whole different subject).

It is an interesting question from you as what are "certain modifications"? Is there a point at which mods need engineering. Obviously a bigger engine, change in engine design (eg I6 car fitted with V8), supercharging/turbo etc require engineering. What about if I was to do a bored and stroked V8 in a GT that produces more grunt than a GT fitted with a powerdyne supercharger? The supercharger requires a mod plate in QLD but would the monster N/A?

I am not to sure although I do have an idea.

By the way, well done on doing the research and getting the info before throwing money into mods. At least if you do go ahead with the exhaust (a lot would), you will know all the implications of that decision.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
No exhausts do not need engineering, but obviously still have to comply wit emission standards (supposed to, many don't but that is a whole different subject).

It is an interesting question from you as what are "certain modifications"? Is there a point at which mods need engineering. Obviously a bigger engine, change in engine design (eg I6 car fitted with V8), supercharging/turbo etc require engineering. What about if I was to do a bored and stroked V8 in a GT that produces more grunt than a GT fitted with a powerdyne supercharger? The supercharger requires a mod plate in QLD but would the monster N/A?

I am not to sure although I do have an idea.

By the way, well done on doing the research and getting the info before throwing money into mods. At least if you do go ahead with the exhaust (a lot would), you will know all the implications of that decision.

yeh the wording of these laws and restrictions do keep us guessing

when it says you dont need a cert if
Quote:
Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the vehicle
does that mean you could (lawfully not physically) bore out an i6 be bigger then a 3valve .
i mean same car just a different optional engine and the 3 valve is alot bigger then the i6 so there could really be no limitations there as it wouldnt be possible to make the i6 bigger then the 3valve

if that made sense lol

Recent Car
Old 01-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

which also brings up the question of how you prove the exhaust complies with adr on the roadside. would it not be with an engineering certificate?
thats assuming you dont have to get it engineered unless it dosnt comply.??

any more thoughts?

thanks for the replies so far
p.s my 20 mins expired half way through editing :( so i had to write a new post

Recent Car