Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Default Buying another Fairmont, what to look for?

G'day all!! Going to check out a couple of Fairmonts (another one) tomorrow, as a second car. Just after some advice as to what I can check for myself, mechanically, etc, to make sure it's a good buy and not going to cause me grief after purchasing.

And yes the first thing I always check is for smoke from the exhaust to make sure the engine's not shot.

Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Call me, I m home in the arvo,can give you a second opinion if ya like, and I have more stickers :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Amount of kilometers and a service book is the best way to buy a car.

Some of the things I check for are things that cost the most to replace:

Tyres: Tyres are expensive so obviously you want good ones. Check the spare. Also check the tyres for any wear. Uneven wear indicates suspension trouble and/or a wheel alignment.

Suspension: Push down on all four corners of the vehicle. Car should only bounce once to indicate good shockies. Pull hard on top of each wheel to feel for any movement or knocks & rattles.

Being a fairmont, check all electric windows, central locking ( that all doors lock and unlock ), air conditioning and power steering. Check the look of the battery too - these are around $130 to replace now.

Unless you are going to get a compression check done on the motor its always hard to check. Oil leaks are always washed down too.

So, if possible try and look at the car at a time where the car is cold and has been sitting over night. This will be the time most where you will here knocks and noisy components.

Make sure the gear box shifts smoothly and there is no whining from the diff. Always good to coast in neutral for a few second to here these types of noises.

The best tip when buying a car privately is to suss out the seller. Would you buy a super charged V8 off a 17 year old???

This is just a quick run down, which I can only think of for now.

Oh yeah. Check how much rego is left. If rego is due it doesnt hurt to knock a bit off the price as to cover it. Its a buyers market at the moment!!!
Old 19-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Call me, I m home in the arvo,can give you a second opinion if ya like, and I have more stickers :
Cheers Whoosh, appreciate it. And yeah this car's for hubby so reckon the hot pink stickers are in order for him yeah! (if he reads this I'm in trouble lol!!)
:

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

make sure the aircon works