Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone using BP regular having issues?

Hey fellas just curious to know if anyone has their car running on BP regular and has experienced any running problems such as pinging/slight consumption increase? I've been using it in my 97 Sonata since I bought it (around 6 months back) and haven't had any dramas until about a month ago. Not sure if its the car itself or the fuel but strange thing is since filling up (from a half tank) yesterday the majority of pinging has dissapeared. My trip home today was very much the same as any other time the car would ping its head off only a tad cooler yet I can't see that eliminating the pinging. As mentioned about a month ago I found that driving in temps anywhere above around 30 degrees would cause the car to ping real bad from between 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Car had a full service about 2 months ago so I can't see it being from anything I done, the pinging/ slight increase in consumption began and hopefully has ended out of nowhere. If its not the fuel then obviously there must be some strange happening going under the bonnet

ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
charlie200
please insert coins

Are you using the e10 fuel.....The BP arond the corner from me only sells e10 fuel instead of normal unleaded so i dont go there anymore.
Old 16-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I was about to suggest, fuel type doesn't create issues all the time, so it could be something else.....
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

I have been a BP advocator for years but was dissapointed to see the 10% ethanol allowance in their povvo 91 RON fuel.
I always use 98 BP in my clevelands but resorted to the 91 for my work hack and interestingly, said BF MKII had been pinging (go the knock sensors!) but when I used the BP 91, the pinging completely stopped.......result but not from the source I was expecting. I have not had any temp change though.....I wouldn't think that fuel would make that much difference to the operating temp of an engine....I'd look to the normal areas of your cooling system first.

Some other E10's I have trialled but had found that the economy dropped considerably- maybe you have to run it consistently to get a clear result and whilst the BP stopped my knocking, the fuel was used quicker than straight fuel.

BTW, as I have run company cars for the last 5 years, economy is not really an issue, this is merely what I have observed!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
I was about to suggest, fuel type doesn't create issues all the time, so it could be something else.....

Surely you wouldn't be blaming the Sonata as being the source of the issue????! :

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 91 RON at BP in Bulla makes both my parents cars run like crap and doesn't go as far, its not labeled as e10 either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post