Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #31
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
How big is your mum? have you been inside one? males over 6 foot fit in them easily. You would be suprised how big they are inside, very TARDIS like . I'm just recommending you at least try one, it's one of Fords all time great cars and no Ford (Falcon) fans seem to know anything about them and you really should because it's the car that's going to save Fords (and Falcons) *** imho
My question is, did you look at the old model Fiesta or the NEW Fiesta?

Yep, they are small outside, but plenty of space inside. Best handling and class leading on the economy front too.

PS Updated Focus coming has updated interior and exterior.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #32
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What you need to remember is the Focus is made in South Africa. Generally they are well made, but they do have some weird faults which are not common ones. I too would look at the new Kia Cerato, they have been getting great reviews, they have lots of equipment, lots of space and big boot. Might be a bit hard getting a deal as they are a new model.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #33
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
The 09 Zetec Fiesta is the best car you can get for around 20k, You'll come close to getting the 3 door for that (about 21 maybe)
Not a hope in hell of getting a Zetec for 20-21k DRIVE AWAY. I was looking at a base model CL Fiesta 4 door with the safety pack, manual and after all the dealer costs, Government charges etc that came to about $19500 drive away with a bit of price adjustment.

The base model CL is $17,510 inc metallic paint, the Zetec 3 door is $21,070 inc metallic paint before you tick any boxes and pay the dealer/Government for the pleasure. You'd be looking at closer to $24-25k drive away.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #34
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife drove hers away 21,500ish 5 door zetec metallic paint, few others on here got the same price too. Retail is (was) 22,900 I believe. The 3 door is 800? bucks cheaper about?
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #35
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Retail on the 5 door is $21,400 I believe. I also forgot that the auto trans is a $1500 option. I think an older lady would like an automatic.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #36
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Retail + all costs I ment, that was the total price before any deals. Better with the Mazda 2 if it's got to be any auto really or you get stuck with the 1.4 litre, the manual gearbox is half the goodness of the car
Old 15-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #37
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Baracus
Fiesta too small.
You say the Fiesta is too small, but realistically the new one is almost the same size as the Focus in the inside, and it will be cheaper to run.

If a little bigger is the way to go, get a runout Focus, should be able to get a good deal one of them at the moment as dealers will be doing whatever they can to get rid of old stock before the updated model comes out in a few weeks.
Old 15-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #38
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We drove them both and there didn't seem any size difference, The Fiesta was overall just better than the Focus and at the same price there wasn't any choice to be made
Old 15-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #39
BA Baracus
xls

Will need to look at the fiesta in person, it seems like a much smaller car but admit haven't seen inside one. Needs to be 5 door due to grandchildren. Auto is also a must for her. She would also possibly consider a sedan of whatever model provided it's still not a large car.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #40
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500SEC
Please can we stop going on about I30s or whatever the latest Korean offering happens to be. Every second post on this forum makes reference to an I30. It's a Ford forum. Buy a ford. Fiesta, Ka, Focus or Festiva.
The ignorance of some people. Guess where and who made the Festiva... I'll give you a hint, the brand and country start with K.

Also if you're looking for a new car of a budget of 20k, why in the world would you *choose* a 10 year old Festiva or KA.

Back on topic, you're not really gonna go wrong with most new cars nowadays. I'd still keep away from Kia, but the new gen of Hyundais are pretty good. The last thing you want to be doing is hearing complaints on the car that you suggested, so give her a list of about 10 cars for her to research, narrow that down to 3-4 cars and drive each of them. But the new Fiesta should be in that list.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #41
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

This is the link to the focus forums.....

http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Also we've had our current focus now for 18 months as we got a normal focus with 'smooth pack' and auto.

If your mum is using it around town etc you can't go wrong. We personally looked at a few different cars like everyone and couldn't turn down the focus once we'd driven it. Also its very simple, easily laid out and practical.

If you REALLY want to test it narrow it down to 2/3 choices then go to budget or thrifty or something and hire one for a couple of days so you REALLY get the feel for it.

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #42
BA Baracus
xls

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm thinking she might not like the fiesta auto being only a 1.4l, she'd like something with a bit more power then her 99 corolla as it's fairly gutless, not really sure though the 1.4 may go well would need to drive one and see. I've put together a list based on recommendations here and I looked up the base RRP on the following in auto..

Current model Focus (2.0l) - runout deal says $18990 man so guessing auto $20990 .

Mazda 3 (2.0l) - $23,490.

Lancer (2.0l) - $23990.

Hyundi i30 SX (2.0l) -$21390

Corolla (1.8l) -$23490

New model Fiesta (1.4l) - $20490.

In terms of price and features offered the runout focus is looking good. The i30 is appealing but not sure she'll be sold on the Hyundai brand and the model hasn't been around that long. Some of the others may exceed the price range too much once on roads etc are factored in.
Old 15-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #43
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Its a pity how 20K buys you some very crappy new cars.
Old 16-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #44
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Also if you seriously want to keep it under the 20K mark, why not buy a demo, personally I can't see the value of buying a brand new car unless it is a newly released model (New Fiesta) or something that is hard to get and commands a premium for not waiting for delivery (Mini)

You should be able to get a demo with a few options for about 17K-18K drive away, they usually have under 15,000 kilometers. I mean is that new car feeling really worth $4,000?
Old 16-03-2009, 02:55 AM   #45
seduced_xr
BF XR6

my driving instructor had a kia rio this is going back about 3 months now.. beautiful car to drive. handles nice. easy to park good brakes. the only thing stopping me from having 1 is the engine. its got a fair take off but just doesnt add up the the i6.

id recommend test driving 1
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #46
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Baracus
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm thinking she might not like the fiesta auto being only a 1.4l, she'd like something with a bit more power then her 99 corolla as it's fairly gutless, not really sure though the 1.4 may go well would need to drive one and see. I've put together a list based on recommendations here and I looked up the base RRP on the following in auto..

Current model Focus (2.0l) - runout deal says $18990 man so guessing auto $20990 .

Mazda 3 (2.0l) - $23,490.

Lancer (2.0l) - $23990.

Hyundi i30 SX (2.0l) -$21390

Corolla (1.8l) -$23490

New model Fiesta (1.4l) - $20490.

In terms of price and features offered the runout focus is looking good. The i30 is appealing but not sure she'll be sold on the Hyundai brand and the model hasn't been around that long. Some of the others may exceed the price range too much once on roads etc are factored in.
i wouldnt go of advertised prices you can just about always get a better deal ya just gotta bargin with em.....have alook at a corolla sedan too hey we hired one last year it was pretty good hey lots of room for a small car my wife has a 2006 corolla hatch and new sedan has so much more room hey its just like a camry really..
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #47
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=seduced_xr]my driving instructor had a kia rio this is going back about 3 months now.. beautiful car to drive. handles nice. easy to park good brakes. the only thing stopping me from having 1 is the engine. its got a fair take off but just doesnt add up the the i6.

id recommend test driving 1[/QUOTE

And after 1yr they start to fall apart...there is a reason why KIA & HYUNDIA,s are cheap...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #48
BA Baracus
xls

Yeah know it will be a different case once it actually comes time to barter a deal but just got those base figures of the websites for a basic guide of what's more expensive then what on face value. My boss (a woman in the same age group as mum) recently got one of the runout focus (upgraded from earlier manual focus) and I had a look at hers today. Reserve judgment until we've gone around and looked at all the cars and she's test driven those she likes but I was fairly impressed with the focus myself.

Of the cars mentioned mums only had two of the brands in the past so that may sway her judgment a bit. She's had a camry and corolla and a x-pak and ghia cortina. She also had a kingswood once but Holden's offering in the size and price range she's looking aren't too appealing from what I can tell.
Old 17-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #49
demondan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarian
Hyundai I30 is a poor mans BMW 1 series.

Korean guys at Hyundai tried to copy a German BMW design.. but sorry to say, MASSIVE PHAIL.

Hyundai is renowned for being a el cheapo brand so i wouldn't expect its resale value to hold as strong as a Jap or Euro Ford brands.

The similarities are unbelieve.
C pillar looks similar.......................not
Wheel arches look similar...............not
Taillights look similar......................not
Side profile looks similar..................not
You get the idea
One thing for sure they both have 4 wheels so I suppose that makes them similar.

For supposed car enthusiasts some of the posts re one design looking the same as another from a different brand are just ridiculous. A hatch is a hatch of course there’s going to be some similarities just like a large sedan is a large sedan, there's only so much that can be done while trying to stay true to the dimensions of the required design and also trying to appeal to the masses. ( AU anyone) This isn’t a rant about this particular posting more so I’m sick of reading a FG looks the same as a Camry or a FG looks the same as a BF! Some people really need to start looking at the finer detail of a cars design before going with the old it’s looks the same as this or that line, similar in some aspects of the design YES but the same NO. Have a look at the detail not just what they both look like from 30 metres away.
EYE TESTING IS BULKBILLED FOR THOSE WHO DIDN"T KNOW.

Last edited by demondan; 17-03-2009 at 11:17 AM.
demondan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #50
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

It's well acknowledge that Hyundai copied the 1 Series BMW, I guess they needed eye testing.

IMHO you can't go past the Focus, we just bought one for my partner and she loves it. With runout deals you can get an auto CL for 19990 drive away. Tried driving the Hyundai but they feel like driving a toaster, all very well if you just want a appliance, but there's no joy of driving possible with one. Focus has great handling and smooth quiet ride. New Fiesta would be good but you can't get the decent engine with the auto.
Old 17-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #51
demondan

[QUOTE=Jondalar]It's well acknowledge that Hyundai copied the 1 Series BMW, I guess they needed eye testing.

It's well acknowledge that Hyundai copied the 1 Series BMW, By who ?
Hyundai themselves, I don't think so.
Hyundai might have publicy said they benchmarked the 1 series dynamically but no brand would openly admit copying the aesticis of another and that's what my post is about. Look at a cars design detail before saying one look like another. As already stated the only real similarity between the i30 and the 1 series is there both hatches and if anyone thinks differently they probaly think an XC GXL looks similar to an FG G6E and the optom is calling.
Old 17-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #52
BlackLS
yum

Merc A class from the back.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #53
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

[QUOTE=demondan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
It's well acknowledge that Hyundai copied the 1 Series BMW, I guess they needed eye testing.

It's well acknowledge that Hyundai copied the 1 Series BMW, By who ?
Hyundai themselves, I don't think so.
Hyundai might have publicy said they benchmarked the 1 series dynamically but no brand would openly admit copying the aesticis of another and that's what my post is about. Look at a cars design detail before saying one look like another. As already stated the only real similarity between the i30 and the 1 series is there both hatches and if anyone thinks differently they probaly think an XC GXL looks similar to an FG G6E and the optom is calling.
Mate you need glasses... Wheels mag, Motor mag, pretty much every motoring story I read about the i30 has stated that it's no secret they copied the 1 series. How can you look at those and say there is no similarity? Sure the i30 doesn't look as good, it has the Korean droopy window line, but how many other hatches do you see that look even vaguely similar to those two?
Old 17-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #54
demondan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
Mate you need glasses... Wheels mag, Motor mag, pretty much every motoring story I read about the i30 has stated that it's no secret they copied the 1 series. How can you look at those and say there is no similarity? Sure the i30 doesn't look as good, it has the Korean droopy window line, but how many other hatches do you see that look even vaguely similar to those two?
Because it was stated in Wheels, Motor magazine they look similar it must be TRUE. I'd rather form my own opinion which others may or may not agree with rather than taken something as gospel because it was written in magazines that have both been critised with credibility issues over a long period of time. Your probably one of those who's thinks all those products sold on late night tv do all that's promised because hey it's on tv so they must work. It's funny how some people will quite often read an artical in a magazine disagreeing with the contents or conclusion of a particualar editorial but then use those very same publications point of view to back up there own. It's like Wheels awarding COTY to the Accord and most baging the end result but had the FG walked away with what is a tarnished award in the eyes of many anyway, the forum would have been awash with praise for Wheels as the right choice would have been made.

Last edited by demondan; 17-03-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 17-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #55
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
And after 1yr they start to fall apart...there is a reason why KIA & HYUNDIA,s are cheap...
Thats why they offer a 5 year warranty : I dont think they would offer one of the best warranties in the business if that was the case. I have seen studies where Hyundai has less warranty claims per 100 vehicles than Toyota. I certainly had less problems with the Hyundai that I have owned then the 2 Fords I have owned.

As for the topic, I would go a Mazda 3 or Focus.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #56
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I seriously don't think that the Hyundai i30 is really in contention, as it is hard to get one with an auto box for under the 20K budget outlined in the OP (Presuming we are talking about new cars here). The petrol auto starts at $21,390. thenn you need to add another $2,500 for the CRDi (diesel) model. then you need to add on road costs. Considering you can get a Focus CL Auto for $19,990, Would any of you seriously suggest that the i30 is worth 4 grand more than the Focus?
Old 21-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #57
BA Baracus
xls

Went looking today, looked at Mazda 3, i30, focus, corolla, nissanboxthing (think was called tiida).

Mum far prefers the focus out of them. She was already leaning a bit toward corolla because hers has been good but after seeing the newer corolla it was sort of ruled out. It doesn't offer enough boot space and the console/gear shift of the car is strait out of star trek, really strange interior set up. Focus was her pick of them and what she'd like to get.

Didn't do any specific dealing but inquired about price. On the ford website the runout model is offered with smooth pack in manual at $18,990. Guy reckons that it is actually cheaper to go by normal retail drive away price and ad the auto + smooth pack once on roads are factored in to the website offer, and showed us figures to back that. Initial no real wheeling dealing price he gave was $23,400 drive away. I mentioned I'd heard of people driving away the auto with smooth pack for $19,990 and he effectively told me that was BS. He said if I can find that to do it and also tell him as they would buy them off that dealer and resell them themselves.

I find that hard to believe, aren't they ultra keen to get rid of these? New models coming and it's currently a buyers market in terms of cars. She is also not worried on color etc and would purchase the car cash rather then finance. We got told by one guy cash makes no diff as they receive kick backs from finance but mum works in an industry related to this and knows the benefits to them are actually better getting cash.

Anyway, she's going to start ringing around dealers tomorrow or Monday and see what prices can be offered to get it down around the 20k mark. We are buying in Brisbane, if anyone's bought one in auto for $19,990 drive away it would be heaps appreciated if you could let me know which dealer you went to, or if anyone can recommend in general what might be the best dealers in Brisbane to deal with overall (can PM if rather not say in thread). Thanks in advance for any help.