Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Arent Au's just about theft proof?

Aweek ago a close friend had his AU2 ghia stolen. when he got it back the only sign it had been stolen was a busted door lock. the ignition lock and barrel were intact. how can this be? i thought with the coded key and such these cars were just about theft proof. i am a motor dealer and i have never heard of anything to start one of these cars without the key. a lot of older cars- yes but not an Au

having a busted doorlock it was clear that no key was used, no cut wires or anything under the dash. got me beat. however my Fairlane will now get a car alarm!!!!!!!!!

amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Maybe had a spare key inside the car?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a fault not too long ago which made me realise just how easy it is to start without a key.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

i need to know what that is, can some one pm me?

mayb they had a tow truck?

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what was taken from it,,that wil tell if they even did start it or just rolled it onto a truck or trailor..
Old 13-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Replace the keyed door handle with a right hand rear door handle.

I won't go into details here but getting rid of the keyhole will help...just make sure you don't get a flat battery (car and transponder)
Old 13-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Anything can be stolen .... it just comes down to how bad the theif wants it really.
Unfortunately there are ways to get around all the security features put in new cars ... and it doesn't take thieves long to figure it out.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
shazaam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Anything can be stolen .... it just comes down to how bad the theif wants it really.
Unfortunately there are ways to get around all the security features put in new cars ... and it doesn't take thieves long to figure it out.

Does Smartshield have a flaw/work around?
shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i know how to break into an AU without damaging anything, but not start one. I learnt this right after i learnt that you can lock and AU with any key but you can only unlock it with the right one.
lets be honest, why would you want to steal an AU? you'd have to be stark raving mad. A VS/VT would be a bucketload easier to steal and a lot more fun as a thrashmobile too. more 'fully sick'.
Quote:
Arent Au's just about theft proof?
Well their styling helps a bit.
Old 13-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Adz

Default !

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Arent Au's just about theft proof?
Quote:
Well their styling helps a bit.
LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
Adz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IT was taken from the rear garage of the home. the people next door heard it start, V8 with sports exhust, and by the time it clicked to them he was away the car car was gone. no spare keys in house or car. so hte lock was broken to get in but car was started without more damage.

i just realized that even if there is a way to start it the forum is not the place to tell all. if someone knows can you PM me as i would like to make sure i can stop it from being my car next time.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I said earlier, from a fault I learnt how easy it is to start the AU without a key. There is no logical fix I can think of other then a keyed battery isolator.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
Umineko
Karasu

At the end of the day locks only keep honest people out, If someone wants it bad enough it will get stolen. Mercedes thought they had a near fool proof system on their top shelf models, highly sophisticated magnetic keys with transponders, very elaborate electronic anti-theft circuitry... they were almost unstealable for about 6 months till the theives worked out how to get around it. the best you can do is make it harder to steal IE: more trouble than it's worth, I have hidden key switches connected to the ignition circuits and transmission neutral safety interlock which I use if I have to leave the car somewhere for extended periods, it's not fool proof and someone with some know-how could eventually work it out and get around it but the time it would take makes the risk of discovery greater and therefore makes the car less desirable
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post