Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
vltcalais
Starter Motor

Default United 100 Octane, Premium Octane

hi guys

Has any one tried this yet i know they have Boost 98, but now they have what they call Premuim 100 which has 10% Ethanol? Will this fuel be fine to use in my Ba xr6 turbo for everyday use?

Any suggestions and experiences will be appreciated.

John

vltcalais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
vltcalais
Starter Motor

anyone:(
Old 13-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Some say it will be fine others don't, the issue will be with the fuel system if there is an issue at all.

Is it tuned?

Do you have to run 98-100 Octane?

If not normal Shell V-power or BP Ultimate will be fine (Both 98 octane), whats the price Versus the above mentioned fuels if you know?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
vltcalais
Starter Motor

the car is tuned i have a 98 tune already but am considering a 100ron tune and will only go for it if i get positive results form other members...

TBH, the united 100 is cheaper than 98ron but i've heard you get less milage from it? So it kinda balances it out..
Old 13-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
vltcalais
Starter Motor

united pump is also nearby my house so access is not an issue here..
Old 13-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Tune for it but be carefull when returning back to normal fuel..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
Froudey
Banned

hmm fuel is fuel in my books as long it isn't a e10 product it should be fine.
Froudey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
vltcalais
Starter Motor

It is rated at e10 and i do believe that is the maximum ratings our car's can take?
Old 14-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Mate if you're doing a tune for racing for example then it's all fine as you won't be using it all the time, that said if you use it every day as long as you clean it out again it "should" be ok.

Best way is this, get it tuned, run it on nothing but 100 for about two months then do a power run and see if there is any difference in your emissions from the first power run.

I'll wait for your report.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #10
vltcalais
Starter Motor

What do you mean by clean it out? I will be using it for everyday use and yes i will take your advice and get it on the dyno after a few months but y do that? What do you mean by the emmissions?
Old 14-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #11
XRQTR
TBA Customs

The e10 is more prone to picking up hitch hikers (water) plus the ethanol if left for long periods can corode your metal lines, fue to the higher water content, if you don't drive it fairly regularly. As for the second power run well the first sentence pretty much explains the reason behind that.
Old 14-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
Black Knight

I thought United e10 was only 93RON. Is this something that just come out.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltcalais
the car is tuned i have a 98 tune already but am considering a 100ron tune and will only go for it if i get positive results form other members...

TBH, the united 100 is cheaper than 98ron but i've heard you get less milage from it? So it kinda balances it out..
So let me get this right ,
You want other members to test this new fuel out, in their cars first to see if they have any problems with it , :
As you live just down the road from servo thats started selling it,why dont you try it and report back to all of us on forum, :
cheers Nick
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

He was just asking to see if anyone had done this before guys - relax a bit guys!. If not, then yes, he's the pioneer.

It sounds like Boost100 is just 98 Octane fuel with 10% Ethanol, since the higher octane of Ethanol will probably make up the 2% Octane difference. So technically it is an E10 fuel, but different from the normal E10 that's mixed with low Octane Petrol people normally associate with the E10 name.

Does that Make sense?

I've kinda been waiting for this to happen. I have a 98 tune in my daily driver and was waiting to see when an Ethanol High-octane blend would become available.

By the way, after watching a recent episode of Fifth Gear, did you guys all realise that the Shell V-Power and BP-Ulitmate brands are actually apllied to Diesel products in the UK?

Lukeyson
Old 14-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Id love to know how it stacks up against the old shell vpower racing 100 octane that we lost last year. The turbo loved that even if it drank a little more.

Now Quattro RS3 powered
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #16
vltcalais
Starter Motor

It doesnt look like many ppl have tried it out yet??

Looks like ill have to do it all myself and post results...
Old 14-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
The e10 is more prone to picking up hitch hikers (water) plus the ethanol if left for long periods can corode your metal lines, fue to the higher water content, if you don't drive it fairly regularly. As for the second power run well the first sentence pretty much explains the reason behind that.
I have never had a problem using it, this is in my gf's magna, havent tried it in the T but think I may, sticker on the petrol flap says e10 compatible after all..
I ran the old vpower racing 100 ethanol blend in the XA exclusively, and found it to be better than 98 with no problems at all for the engine or fuel system.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight
I thought United e10 was only 93RON. Is this something that just come out.

United E10 is infact 95RON. I believe the other E10's supplied by other petrol stations are only 93 RON.
Been out for awile now.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #19
xr6t_ute

The 100 octane united fuel is better than 98 as you can add a few more degrees of timing onto your tune....hence a bit more power, but isnt as good as the shell v power racing that used to be for sale...

Gtx3582
Stage 2 Nizpro kit.

HEADSEX TUNED
xr6t_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #20
vltcalais
Starter Motor

Do you use it xr6t ute? If yes is it on a everday basis and would you recommend other ppl to use it?
Old 14-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #21
wados

i use the e10 98 in my car and it has been tuned on the e10 98 and have not had an issue with it at all. if and when i see the 100 e10 i will give it a try
Old 14-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #22
vltcalais
Starter Motor

i didnt know 98 was using e10? Its kinda encouraging your car has been handling it fine. I guess using 100 e10 should only be better for our cars..

john
Old 14-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #23
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I have never had a problem using it, this is in my gf's magna, havent tried it in the T but think I may, sticker on the petrol flap says e10 compatible after all..
I ran the old vpower racing 100 ethanol blend in the XA exclusively, and found it to be better than 98 with no problems at all for the engine or fuel system.

Ye it's fine for Magnas, they really don't know what you put in them, it could be urine for all they care

The Shell stuff my mate with the RX7 drag car used to use it in that, had it tuned for it, said himself he'd only ever left it in once and never again after he took it out the next tiem and it just wasn't running right. Anyway he drained the tank and flushed it all through, high pressure, and strangely it ran fine again.

Look the stuff is ok if you don't let it sit their for long periods but ye I'm not a convert.
Old 14-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #24
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I wouldnt think a magna's fuel system is much different to any modern car's, race cars that sit for long periods of time are different, any fuel that's left long enough will go off, I dont see it as an issue for a daily driver that uses a tank or more a week.
while alcohol fuels are hygroscopic, I dont think the 10% ethanol within these fuels would be an issue, more of an issue would be sucking up a heap of water from the servo's tank, this can also happen with normal petrol, Ive seen it many times..the fuel company will pay for repairs if you can prove it..
Old 14-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #25
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Ye, try proving it though, they will never admit liability unless you can show that you have never used fuel from any other outlet, just one fill is enough for them to show you the door.

And the drag car, well I think it sat for about a month.
Old 14-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #26
nugget378
Weezland

I have seen many payouts, to all sorts of cars, new merc's included, in my previous job repairing/renovating service stations for one of the major companies..
we would get a call when this happened and if we found water that was that...
Old 14-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #27
XRQTR
TBA Customs

That was different, I now what you're talking about and that was actually taken on by many of the big Euros themselves when it was found that toluene was being used a few years ago. Many of the V8 Euros in particular with the high po 6 and 4's were quite literally melting pistons due to the toluene in fuels.

How do you think it was exposed at the time.
Old 15-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #28
nugget378
Weezland

No mate, WATER, I drained it from the tanks myself...nothing to do with that issue and was before all that by a few years..
Old 15-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #29
AusM
AusMotorsport

It's my understanding from some info Subaru put out that the added ethanol effectively reduces the fuel's performance in a high performance situation. Meaning 98 RON standard fuel would be better than 98 RON fuel that contained ethanol, just as various 98 RON fuels may have a different MON rating, and have different performance under stress.

Dunno if that is 100% technically correct, but that's how I understand it... Subaru basically said that if your car needs/is tuned for 98RON, then it will probably ping like crap if it's an ethanol blend and timings should be backed off to suit. So I'd think that 100RON with ethanol won't be much different to BP Ultimate or Mobil Synergy 8000. Shell VPoo has a lower MON than BP or Mobil 98RON fuels, so isn't comparable IMO...

The only other concern I know of with ethanol is the increased corrosiveness...
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #30
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Ethanol will actually store longer than ULP without losing it's octane rating..... if it is kept in a tighly sealed vessel. As has been said, if you are using and replenishing the fuel often enough, it will never be a problem, just make sure you buy it from a source that sells in volume and replenishes their stock regularly.

The corrosivness of Ethanol is much less than that of Methanol (provided the water is kept out of the fuel). Methanol is highly hygroscopic and the water is what does the damage. Also, Methanol is a lot harder on rubbers than Ethanol. All Automotive grade Ethanol sold in Australia must have a corrosion inhibitor (such as Octel DCI-11) blended with it by law.

Keep the water out and it's all good!

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post