Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Will you use SCT in the future?
Not a hope while they maintain any notion of 90 days solution 82 78.85%
I will have to go the way of my favourite tuner 21 20.19%
Take the 90 days and buy the new unit when I have to do another tune 1 0.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Tell SCT what you think with a vote

Here is your chance, tell them how you feel in a poll

If they keep this concept of the 90 day solution, will you look at SCT roducts in the future or will you look elsewhere.

Please only vote if you have a car that can be tuned by SCT or considering one in the near future.

Old 31-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Why isn't "No farking way, regardless of what they do I won't deal with these dogs again?" on the list?

BTW, voted "Not a Hope".

Oo\===/oO
Old 31-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
XA5800
I'd rather be blown

Typical American attitude, as long as they make money they don't care..........
Old 31-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA5800
Typical American attitude, as long as they make money they don't care..........
I have not included my personal opinion on the issue as yet but alas I ask, if there are leaches in the industry that are profiting from down right questionable conduct based on a product not their own, then doesn't the manufacturer have the right to protect their own product?

Lets leave out the fact they where stupid enough to leave it so open or include Come and Pay Again in its deployment etc, or not make it inherently clear that support may be limited as such.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The right to protect their own product- absolutely.
The way they went about it - absolutely WRONG.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
The right to protect their own product- absolutely.
The way they went about it - absolutely WRONG.
Agreed completely

Yes they do have a right to protect their intellectual property, of course. But they do not have the right to disable and render obsolete a customers physical property short of the advertised life span of that item, because they have an issue with their distributor.

I personally will not use SCT again, even when it comes time to upgrade my system (I was considering the new SCT). In my opinion, they have done it once, they could do it again. This has been a clear indication of poor business ethics and gross profiteering, I will not support that. There were certainly more effective and ethical ways of dealing with the situation, ones that provided no financial detriment to the consumer.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

My limited understanding is that they have withdrawn support, for whatever reason, to their product rendering it useless. If this is the case, and they let down honest customers, I sincerely doubt I will use their products again. Any alternatives?
Old 01-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #8
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
I have not included my personal opinion on the issue as yet but alas I ask, if there are leaches in the industry that are profiting from down right questionable conduct based on a product not their own, then doesn't the manufacturer have the right to protect their own product?

Lets leave out the fact they where stupid enough to leave it so open or include Come and Pay Again in its deployment etc, or not make it inherently clear that support may be limited as such.

Well, of course a manufacturer has a right to protect a product, but there are ways to go about that.

If there is a delinquent agent, then the manufacturer should be directing it's actions towards disabling that agent.

As it stands, it appears that SCT has adopted a tsunami "take no prisoners" approach to the detriment of innocent end users.

If SCT does not relent, then I can see Slater & Gordon becoming involved with a class action, and I'll be first in line.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I have read the 2 other threads in their entirety about this subject.

I am also looking to get a tuner of some sort. Even though the newer tuner for my car wont have the issues the X1 has, Im not filled with any confidence anymore about the business ethics SCT has shown.

SCT have an excellent product, but they SHOULD have taken the necessary precautions in protecting their pirating problems with the x1 before its release. As many have already said, they shouldnt be penalising those that arent at fault just because someone has found a way to bypass SCT's copyright or licensing arrangement. There are more confidential avenues for that. This didnt have to go to this extreme by pushing the panic button. Sadly it has, and now the damage is done.

SCT may have saved its product from being pirated or whatever, but it has reduced its potential to increase its market to any new products with these recent events and bad publicity.

I wish SCT all the best with what ever damage control they choose, but I think they will need to weather a very long storm if they are trying to keep their australian connections solid.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I find the trend in the poll very interesting so far.

80% have said "up yours" to SCT
20% have said I will follow my tuner (so they are loyal to their tuner, it would appear not SCT)
Only 1 person has said I will take the greasy pole.

SCT, are you watching this? Your market is not looking so good at the moment. I know this forum is only a segment of the ozzy market but we also have personal contact with those that aren't members.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #11
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Why isn't "No farking way, regardless of what they do I won't deal with these dogs again?" on the list?

BTW, voted "Not a Hope".

+1

I brought a x2 last week, it hasn't been used yet, Im taking it back. With the smart arsed comments I have read from Charlie in the other Thread there is no way I want anything to do with these fools.

Good luck with that SCT.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:41 AM   #12
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

BTW, voted "Not a Hope".
or as simple as sct not for me
nope i think sniper will be the way for me to go now

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 AM   #13
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:

BTW, voted "Not a Hope".
hear hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
My limited understanding is that they have withdrawn support, for whatever reason, to their product rendering it useless. If this is the case, and they let down honest customers, I sincerely doubt I will use their products again. Any alternatives?
One alternative is figuring out which tuners have the old V2.9 software that TVS SP was on about. This solves the problem at the same time screwing SCT. If tuners don't have V2.9 Jason can make alot of cash by burning them the copies.

Other than that, there's VCM and Sniper.

Last edited by Falc'man; 01-02-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
hear hear

One alternative is figuring out which tuners have the old V2.9 software that TVS SP was on about. This solves the problem at the same time screwing SCT. If tuners don't have V2.9 Jason can make alot of cash by burning them the copies.

I am aware of a tuner with old software. I am soon to pick up F6 and most likely was going to tune, having second thoughts now.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a total novice to this topic and green on it can i ask why you need support for this product once the tune is done? Will it suddenly shut down after 90 days or will it just be not reprogrammable after 90 days?
surely the V2.9 software is still in the hands of people who had it before upgrading? its not like you throw the disks or data files out....
I can understand a company wanting to protect their property though...

Old 01-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I am aware of a tuner with old software. I am soon to pick up F6 and most likely was going to tune, having second thoughts now.
***edit***

misread your post.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
hear hear

I don't know about 'burning' copies of V2.9, you still need the 'unlock' key if you install it on your computer. This is only available through CAPA. Don't like your chances of getting it, I know I had to approach SCT a while back to reactivate my software. I do not believe they will assist now.

There have to be other tuners around with V2.9. If not, PM me hahaha
Old 01-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #18
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
As a total novice to this topic and green on it can i ask why you need support for this product once the tune is done? Will it suddenly shut down after 90 days or will it just be not reprogrammable after 90 days?
From what i have read, I think It will not be able to be custom tuned after 90 days, other existing tunes can be re-loaded though
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
From what i have read, I think It will not be able to be custom tuned after 90 days, other existing tunes can be re-loaded though
Ok.. and from what im reading the x1 isnt compatible with late BF/FG's anyway? so it only effects people with older BA/F's who want to keep modifying their tunes? Those who are happy with their tune are unaffected?
And if someone still has V2.9 software its business as usual...?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #20
Cam
Stroking it...

I do beieve that is correct, oh and us poor AU drivers... If you are happy with your current tune, no worries at all, just cant be retuned (which is kind of the idea of aftermarket tuning options??)

I may be wrong, feel free to correct me someone!
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #21
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I'll use whatever software my chosen Tuner uses, i won't sacrifice getting good results on my car, just for the satisfaction of not giving SCT money by using a Company that tunes with Sniper or VCM Suite but may not be capable of the same results.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
I'll use whatever software my chosen Tuner uses, i won't sacrifice getting good results on my car, just for the satisfaction of not giving SCT money by using a Company that tunes with Sniper or VCM Suite but may not be capable of the same results.
thats true, but Im only using SCT as a last resort if no other company can give similar benefits. But thats just me

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #23
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Agreed completely

Yes they do have a right to protect their intellectual property, of course. But they do not have the right to disable and render obsolete a customers physical property short of the advertised life span of that item, because they have an issue with their distributor.

I personally will not use SCT again, even when it comes time to upgrade my system (I was considering the new SCT). In my opinion, they have done it once, they could do it again. This has been a clear indication of poor business ethics and gross profiteering, I will not support that. There were certainly more effective and ethical ways of dealing with the situation, ones that provided no financial detriment to the consumer.
I know your wants I have read your same argument 15 times in the last 20 minutes, once would have been enough, this thread has turned exactly into the other.
Closed Thread