Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #91
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If Holden produce another hi po version won't it just end up watering down the collectability of the WD40. I wonder how many WD owners crack the sts in 2 years time when HSV shove a 400kw motor into a 100k model. Seems they never learn their lesson. A lot of HSV club members are starting to turn on them because they continually bring out upgraded models that all over their resale values. Their was a recent letter in AMC magazine from possibly the President of one of the HSV owners clubs voicing the clubs opinion about the huge price increase of the WD after the initial costings pointed to around 120k, then HSV jacked up the price to profiteer on it, which probably came back to bite them cause they now are struggling to sell 200. If they didn't get so greedy they probably could have sold 427 of them for 120k. When will the sheep wake up and see how much they are being milked for all their worth.

I reckon within a few years there will be Clubsports making 370 kw and the WD's will be worth 30k.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 04:12 AM   #92
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Actually I remember some mob in Sydney who were "de-lumping" GTs and GTHOs (as in fitting them with cams more suitable to towing caravans) in the mid to late 70s as they were difficult to sell due to the fear that fuel was going to go bezerk in price as GTs/GTHOs were mongrels to drive in a sedate fashion on ordinary crap roads of the time with aquaslip tyres. It probably made sense at the time but now with 20/20 hindsight was probably not so clever.

This is a glorious time for buyers as 2 years ago was a glorious time for sellers. The circle will turn. T3/BAGT will start to go up again in a couple of years and maybe will be worth lots or maybe not. Who cares.

If you want a T3 there was one sold the other day for 16k. There are BAGTs for bugger all more. This is what you paid for a secondhand XR6 N/A only a year or so ago.

Stop crying and start spending, it won't last. (hence why I have just bought an ED Sprint and have my eye on a BA1 GT-P if I can get it for the right price).
I think Bowdens used to do that, Im sure I read it an a street machine.
Old 19-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #93
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If Holden produce another hi po version won't it just end up watering down the collectability of the WD40. I wonder how many WD owners crack the sts in 2 years time when HSV shove a 400kw motor into a 100k model. Seems they never learn their lesson. A lot of HSV club members are starting to turn on them because they continually bring out upgraded models that all over their resale values. Their was a recent letter in AMC magazine from possibly the President of one of the HSV owners clubs voicing the clubs opinion about the huge price increase of the WD after the initial costings pointed to around 120k, then HSV jacked up the price to profiteer on it, which probably came back to bite them cause they now are struggling to sell 200. If they didn't get so greedy they probably could have sold 427 of them for 120k. When will the sheep wake up and see how much they are being milked for all their worth.

I reckon within a few years there will be Clubsports making 370 kw and the WD's will be worth 30k.
I don't know about 370kw but I'd say 450hp/336kw by say 2011/12 for the next model. You can bet that it'd have a power jump through that model cycle to 350kw or so, and then you are getting close to WD40 power. But then the same thing happened with the old GTS. 300kw is a thing of the past. With 336/350kw base, their hypo car will be the 415kw supercharged 6.2L from the caddy, and you'll have another "Australia's best performance car ever" which probably won't go much faster than a base 330kw F6. :
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #94
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He said within the next "10 Years" - this is an eternity in engine design given current pressures.

Knowing the way HSV are keen to announce - I would think that If they thought they would have one in 3-4 years he would have said "next year or so" -

I expect that HSVs next announcement will be that they are definately making a car that runs on discarded mobile phones, and produces 600kw and does 2000km per phone.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #95
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
prove me wrong, show me any australian buit car fetching 4,5,6 upto 20 times its original purchase price i.e blue chip premium collectable cars that don't have direct racing pedigree...
Ok - 1948 Holden - if you can find one in excellent condition plan on parting with six figures.

Quote:
Dont forget though in 1981, only ten years after the phase 3 was sold they were fetching 20+K already... phase 2's over 10K...
How many 10 year old cars are worth 2 - 4 times their original price today?
It is worth noting that the price of a new car over the same period went up 3-4 times, whereas over the last 10 years the price of a new car has gone up ~10%.

Back to the topic, this reminds me of the VN Group A, which was allowed by Cams to be homologated with only 302 built after they could not sell 500 during the 1990 recession. They originally were priced at $70-75k from memory too.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #96
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Back to the topic, this reminds me of the VN Group A, which was allowed by Cams to be homologated with only 302 built after they could not sell 500 during the 1990 recession. They originally were priced at $70-75k from memory too.
Yep, they were reasonably successful too, but they are still ugly and are not highly desirable.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #97
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
its fact, prove me wrong, show me any australian buit car fetching 4,5,6 upto 20 times its original purchase price i.e blue chip premium collectable cars that don't have direct racing pedigree... its not my opinion its a fact....
Your comparing cars of different eras anyway T Series/B Series GT's or cars of the same era whatever make, are still young. Your old pre ADR dinosaurs have been around a long time and have had time to appriciate whereas new cars are just that NEW. Sure they have got the racing pedigree but who knows what the prices will be in say 35yrs or around the age of your average GTHO. The world doesnt revolve around pre ADR27 whatever it is FFS
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #98
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Your comparing cars of different eras anyway T Series/B Series GT's or cars of the same era whatever make, are still young. Your old pre ADR dinosaurs have been around a long time and have had time to appriciate whereas new cars are just that NEW. Sure they have got the racing pedigree but who knows what the prices will be in say 35yrs or around the age of your average GTHO. The world doesnt revolve around pre ADR27 whatever it is FFS
Dallas, i really am flattered by your obsession with everything i post, and don't get me wrong, you stalking me is rather amusing, but try reading and understanding what ive written before pickng at everything i post, i think you'll find i've actually said what you just did...

Old 19-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #99
azaxr8

4vman, your good at twisting words. i like it.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #100
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Dallas, i really am flattered by your obsession with everything i post, and don't get me wrong, you stalking me is rather amusing, but try reading and understanding what ive written before pickng at everything i post, i think you'll find i've actually said what you just did...
Dont care mate end of story re: PM.
Back on topic
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #101
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Back on topic on I will start banning people for 30 days!

This argument is as old as these forums, I find more interest in rubbing chillies into my eyes.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #102
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id say a combination of the final price,( More than 2 F6's for one of these ... when they are only what 2-3 car lengths slower than the 427 to the speed limit and actually enjoyable on the road, If you want a race car buy a race car), And the timing didnt help with the economy (I know people who were ready to retire comfortably and now have to work on another 5 years + for that same luxury in retirement, Not saying people who are wealthy dont have the money but when that money you have in super/shares/property/business profit etc falls by 10% and in many cases more people have other priorities than spending 160k on a local car.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #103
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
Id say a combination of the final price,( More than 2 F6's for one of these ... when they are only what 2-3 car lengths slower than the 427 to the speed limit and actually enjoyable on the road, If you want a race car buy a race car), And the timing didnt help with the economy (I know people who were ready to retire comfortably and now have to work on another 5 years + for that same luxury in retirement, Not saying people who are wealthy dont have the money but when that money you have in super/shares/property/business profit etc falls by 10% and in many cases more people have other priorities than spending 160k on a local car.
Exactly.

I can imagine a typical scenario, whereby weathy middle-class "self-made" men had planned to get 50 grand added onto each of their three investment properties to get a W427. With the turn in credit access, this option has come to an end for the majority. Even if there was only 10 people like that in every state (on average), there is 80 units alone.

Then you look at the slump in super and you could imagine that number again as retiree's look to consolidate and rebuild.

I said it before and i'll say it again, great car in theory, but 50K overpriced........ especially in Panoramic silver.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post