Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default thermal problems

Hi there,

I was wondering about the temperature gage of my 2000 Dalcon Futura. It never reaches the normal operational temperature. The gage should stand in the middle , right ?
Not even on hot days it moves near the middle . It just moves at most a quarter . If I turn on the heater on colder days it doesn't even move a quarter .

What could be the problem ?

gage / instrument ?
thermostat ?
radiator?
temperature sensor ?

any ideas ?

thanks

Swedishmoose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

might be worth a search as this has been covered many times before...

mine sits right between the n and o of normal all the time, as do quite a few others. if you're worried get the thermostat replaced and the coolant replaced, then you will know it is all new.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Mine used to sit on the right side of the O ... but that's an EGAS model.

The first thing to replace is the thermostat ... it's cheap and worth doing anyway for starters.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
whiskers
gone fishing

mine has sat on the "N" or close enough to it since I bought the car back in 99 new.
as like most others here that seems to be the normal place and temp, I would worry if it crept up and didn't come back down again.
Old 26-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if someone had the car before you they might have put a cooler thermostat in it, or removed it completely, but if it warms to its operating temp quickly the first option would be more likely imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post